PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Prenuptial agreement before house purchase

Options
Without going into too much detail, me and my girlfriend are in the process of buying our first house. We also have a child together.

We have unequal deposits, and while I do trust her (obviously as we’re buying a house),I do want some protection just incase. Am I right in thinking it’s a prenuptial agreement I need? Or something else? Also how much would it cost to get whatever agreement I need written up?

Any help would be great,

Comments

• Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Deed of trust.
    I can't remember how much ours cost, but we used a local solicitor for the purchase and he also sorted out that side of things.
  • vicki2221
    Options
    Soot2006 wrote: »
    Deed of trust.
    I can't remember how much ours cost, but we used a local solicitor for the purchase and he also sorted out that side of things.

Exactly, a deed of trust. I think it cost us around £150. And then you need to be Tenants in Common on the mortgage, not joint tenants
    Save £12k in 2018 #130 - £1200/£7,000
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 November 2017 at 10:18PM
    Options
    a pre-nup is irrelevant as you are not (apparently) nupted

as said, you want legal agreements relating to property ownership options

there are dozens of websites explaining your options, both as married and unmarried, the child's welfare will however take precedence, so proper legal advice also called for:

https://www.gov.uk/joint-property-ownership

http://www.deedoftrust.co.uk/index.php/guidance/hmrc-guidance

https://www.rocketlawyer.co.uk/documents-and-forms/declaration-of-trust.rl#
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 November 2017 at 10:16PM
    Options
    I nupt
    you nupt
    he she or it nupts
    we.... etc

except that don't seem to be nuptated.

I'm no nuptation expert, but in the event of a split, and legal dispute, would the child's welfare not be taken into account by a court, potentally resulting in mother & child keeping the property (or father and child) whatever the Deed said?

I may be wrong.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    The boat on ‘I put in this and you put in that’ sailed when you had a child with her to be honest.

I live the ‘I do trust her BUT I want to protect stuff just in case because actually I don’t...’
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    You want to protect yourself from the mother of your child?

Stable door and horse spring to mind!
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What you could do is take out an Offset mortgage and both put the same amount of equity into the property.
    You have an offset account with your savings and your partner has a savings account with her savings in.
    She could have the child benefit paid into her account or a separate junior isa for your child's university fees.
    If your/her mum and dad have any spare savings they could also help with a savings account ( in there name ) offsetting the mortgage.
    Check out YBS friends and family offset mortgages.
    What do you think ?
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]As stated above a Deed of Trust is what you should have. This will set out how the net proceeds of a sale will be divided between you. You need to think careful about the formula you use, for example you may have unequal deposits but share the mortgage 50/50 so that need to be allowed for.[/FONT]
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    You want to protect yourself from the mother of your child?

Stable door and horse spring to mind!

Not to mention he obviously trusts her as they're buying a house together........
  • youlaw
    Options
    Another vote for the deed of trust. With this, you can state the ownership percentage or amount should you sell the house beforehand.

If you want protection before you get married (should I say if) then a prenup is worth considering. Although they are not legally recognised in the UK, they are compelling evidence and you can get one drafted for a reasonably low price.

But at the end fo the day, if you don't trust her, marriage might not be for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure