Why is my house cold?

Options

Comments

• Zither
    Zither Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    My 2 bed end terrace with non cavity walls costs £30 a month to keep warm averaged over the year.

Stating the obvious but warm and cold are subjective. My sister's always cold and I have to crank the heating up when she visits. For me, keeping the thermostat at 18 keeps the place feeling warm.

Wow that's really good. I'm actually quite a cold bodied person. I hate getting cold. I could quite happily sit in the middle of the sun but I think that's because I have quite bad circulation so hands always cold.

Again no problem putting the heating on but it feels like house is a bit of a leaky bucket at the mo. When I fill it up it all seems to leak away a bit too quickly... :)
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    edited 12 November 2017 at 1:09PM
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Is this an actual amount or are you basing this on the DD and/or estimated bills ?

Have you readings from when you moved in 4 months ago and have you been reading your meters and entering them online ?

My MIL is determined that 16 degrees is warm - 1930's semi.

Reading between the lines I think you are trying to use a minimum of perhaps 1 hour when you get up and 3/4 hours in the evening. If so you won't get your house warm.

My boiler's turned up to max for radiators and on a cold morning after freezing night it can take almost two hours to get my house to 18. So be it. I know this is MSE and all that but heating is the one thing I don't scrimp on.
    Zither wrote: »
    Wow that's really good. I'm actually quite a cold bodied person. I hate getting cold. I could quite happily sit in the middle of the sun but I think that's because I have quite bad circulation so hands always cold.

Again no problem putting the heating on but it feels like house is a bit of a leaky bucket at the mo. When I fill it up it all seems to leak away a bit too quickly... :)

I felt like that when I moved in to my current house from one that seemed to stay warm from the lightbulbs alone. I'm a miser at heart and it grieves me, but I stay strong and don't let myself read the meters more than once a month!
  • Zither
    edited 12 November 2017 at 4:47PM
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    My boiler's turned up to max for radiators and on a cold morning after freezing night it can take almost two hours to get my house to 18. So be it. I know this is MSE and all that but heating is the one thing I don't scrimp on.

I felt like that when I moved in to my current house from one that seemed to stay warm from the lightbulbs alone. I'm a miser at heart and it grieves me, but I stay strong and don't let myself read the meters more than once a month!

- Yes, I think my house would take a similar amount of time to get heated up to a decent temperature like that. After about 45 mins on my kitchen is only up to 14.5. The kitchen does have a really under-powered radiator though which I need to put on mybuilder to get a quote to move and replace with a much bigger one.

- I'm the same as you - I absolutely hate putting the heating on (especially if it feels like all the money I spend putting it on is just evaporating away!) and especially just for myself but I cant bear being too cold for too long - it just makes me feel miserable. :)

- Based on chickereees idea above though I've just worked out the cost of the three (now four) units of gas I've used since Friday night and it works out at 1.20. More than I want to pay but I think I can handle that per day over the next few months as it gets colder...
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Got an iPad? they have a thermal imaging facility in the camera.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Zither
    Options
    Alter_ego wrote: »

Lol if only :)
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Alter_ego wrote: »

How do you turn it on?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Zither wrote:
    Why is my house cold?

Because the heating is not on long enough to warm the house:
    Zither wrote: »
    had heating on for 1h on Friday night, 1h yesterday morning, probably 2h yesterday PM and approx 1h this morning so far...
  • Alter_ego
    Options
    How do you turn it on?

Not sure (I'm windows) But I believe it's in the effects area. Where you can edit/manipulate photos.
    I'll ask the wife if I can use her iPad to find out and come back.
  • Alter_ego
    Options
    How do you turn it on?

Photo booth - thermal camera.
    This on iPad air, 5 yrs old.
  • thescouselander
    Options
    Sounds to me like you're not leaving your heating on long enough. You need to get heat into the structure of the house otherwise you'll just end up heating the air in the room and then the heat will be immediately absorbed into the walls.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure