Why is my house cold?

Options

Comments

• magn8p
    magn8p Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thermal imaging is used by professional to find serious issues like gas leaks and even in space crafts to see the high friction points, so I am pretty sure it will help figure out your heat loss issue pretty straight away!

Now the question of morality about returning it to Amazon. Yes, it would be little bit cheeky to return it after using it however, you can return it under "I no longer need it" category where Amazon expects you to pay for the return postage but gives you full refund and I don't find anything immoral about it.

All the best.

Zither wrote: »
    Thanks!

Yes, I've had a look at the EPC. It's only a C... but again with cavity wall/loft (ceiling) insulation, the only improvements the EPC said was to add rafter insulation. I presume roof rafter AND ceiling insulation would be overkill?

Love the idea of the thermal imaging camera! I'd feel a bit cheeky using it and then just returning it though? Wouldnt they say no to returning it if it doesn't identify anything?

TY!

Z
  • Heedtheadvice
    Options
    Some good posts. You can always hireva thermal imaging camera.

You do not post much about your house, detached, semi, terrace, flat, etc -they all have an effect- of as to the house construction. Some property has little thermal inertia, warms up and cools down quickly. Others such as heavy stone buildings warm up slowly but retain more heat.
    However we often feel warm at or above 21C and soon can feel cool when the temperature drops a few degrees and that does not take long. Add that to the fact that you have been not heating much and you will not be getting much in the way of solar gain from a North facing property.......and you might have a cold spot or two.....
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Zither wrote: »
    So yeah... my house is cold. I live in a north facing house so I wouldn't expect it to be roasting but it's still a little bit cold for my liking.

Z

I am guessing that you don't spend that much on energy? How many bedrooms, a 2 bed house will take over £70 per month to keep warm.
    How much is your energy bill?
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What type of flooring do you have? Would that make a difference?
    The front of our house is North facing and you an definitely feel the difference in the rooms on the front. It's been better since we added an extra radiator but our hall has quarry tiles and it feels colder.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I am guessing that you don't spend that much on energy? How many bedrooms, a 2 bed house will take over £70 per month to keep warm.

Really? I heat a large 4 bed for less.
  • Zither
    Zither Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some good posts. You can always hireva thermal imaging camera.

You do not post much about your house, detached, semi, terrace, flat, etc -they all have an effect- of as to the house construction. Some property has little thermal inertia, warms up and cools down quickly. Others such as heavy stone buildings warm up slowly but retain more heat.
    However we often feel warm at or above 21C and soon can feel cool when the temperature drops a few degrees and that does not take long. Add that to the fact that you have been not heating much and you will not be getting much in the way of solar gain from a North facing property.......and you might have a cold spot or two.....

Good points!

I live in a semi-detached - 1950s brick.
    At the moment the resting temperature of the house seems to be around about 11-13 degrees. So pretty far below 21c! Totally appreciate this could be sorted by putting the heating on more but that feels more like treating the symptom rather than the cause...?
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    The cause is that it’s cold at this time of the year!

The solution is to turn your heating on. Let your thermostat control when it comes on and maintain a consistent temperature.
  • Zither
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »

I only moved into the property 4 months ago so I haven't really got a handle on how much I'm spending on heating yet. Seems fairly low so far... but that was over the summer months so I'm expecting higher?

I have 3 bedrooms - though 1 isn't used so I've turned the radiator off in there. £70 a month on gas (excluding elec) sounds high though??
  • Zither
    Options
    adandem wrote: »
    What type of flooring do you have? Would that make a difference?
    The front of our house is North facing and you an definitely feel the difference in the rooms on the front. It's been better since we added an extra radiator but our hall has quarry tiles and it feels colder.

Erm - I think concrete floors with carpets and underlay on - aside from kitchen with tiles (which are cold to walk on obviously!) - I need to get a big cheap rug to put down in the kitchen. :)
  • Zither
    Options
    The cause is that it’s cold at this time of the year!

The solution is to turn your heating on. Let your thermostat control when it comes on and maintain a consistent temperature.

Totally agree. No problem with putting the heating on. I just don't want to lose all the heat straight away so the thermostat comes back on immediately after it goes off! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure