🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Okay to split large investment between two multi asset funds?

Options

Comments

• ArchBair
    ArchBair Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    This article from FE Trustnet might be of interest to those interested in multi-asset funds.

Twenty one multi-asset funds are in the FE Invest Approved list which includes the L&G Multi-Index and HSBC Global Strategy funds as well as a selection of 'active' multi-asset funds.

https://www.trustnet.com/news/770578/the-latest-multi-asset-funds-joining-the-fe-invest-approved-list?utm_source=Trustnet%20Newsletters&utm_campaign=d1b7cf1edd-20171106_Investor11_6_2017&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_2314bd04ee-d1b7cf1edd-77272609
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,719 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I use Halifax share dealing simply because it is cheaper for larger portfolios as they charge a flat fee and not percentage and I am not worried about investing all on one platform. The money is invested in the funds after all so if Halifax went under I would still have the investments.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,517 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ArchBair wrote: »
    This article from FE Trustnet might be of interest to those interested in multi-asset funds.

Twenty one multi-asset funds are in the FE Invest Approved list which includes the L&G Multi-Index and HSBC Global Strategy funds as well as a selection of 'active' multi-asset funds.

https://www.trustnet.com/news/770578/the-latest-multi-asset-funds-joining-the-fe-invest-approved-list?utm_source=Trustnet%20Newsletters&utm_campaign=d1b7cf1edd-20171106_Investor11_6_2017&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_2314bd04ee-d1b7cf1edd-77272609
    Thanks ArchBair, that's interesting. I would assume VLS funds are already on the list, but I can't see any reference to VLS in the article.
  • Audaxer
    Options
    I use Halifax share dealing simply because it is cheaper for larger portfolios as they charge a flat fee and not percentage and I am not worried about investing all on one platform. The money is invested in the funds after all so if Halifax went under I would still have the investments.
    I certainly hope that's the case as I also use Halifax Share Dealing. I'm not quite sure how it works exactly but I think the funds are ring-fenced in the name of a nominee company. So they should be safe unless there is a major fraud, and the views expressed by some other posters seems to be that risk of that is very minimal.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Prism wrote: »
    I think many people are more cautious than they need to be at the start.

If you've never made a mistake when investing. Then you've a lot to learn yet.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,675 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 November 2017 at 8:03PM
    Options
    Audaxer wrote: »
    I certainly hope that's the case as I also use Halifax Share Dealing. I'm not quite sure how it works exactly but I think the funds are ring-fenced in the name of a nominee company. So they should be safe unless there is a major fraud, and the views expressed by some other posters seems to be that risk of that is very minimal.

Yup my biggest exposure above the limit is a six digit sipp with Halifax SD invested in VLS. It's a zombie account as I am just contributing enough to cover the fees for the next 20+ years and it will probably be the first pension I draw.

I have been thinking of moving it to an L&G or HSBC fund as we are also now using Vanguard for our ISAs.
  • Audaxer
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    Yup my biggest exposure above the limit is a six digit sipp with Halifax SD invested in VLS. It's a zombie account as I am just contributing enough to cover the fees for the next 20+ years and it will probably be the first pension I draw.

I have been thinking of moving it to an L&G or HSBC fund as we are also now using Vanguard for our ISAs.
    Interesting as I'm thinking of opening a SIPP for my wife, but was considering AJ Bell or HL as the drawdown fees from HSD seem high. However as you have 20+ years to go that won't be a problem for you at this time.
  • ArchBair
    ArchBair Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks ArchBair, that's interesting. I would assume VLS funds are already on the list, but I can't see any reference to VLS in the article.

No I don't think VLS are on this particular list, the 21 funds are all mentioned within the article for instance all three HSBC Global Strategy funds have made the list but only the Balanced and Dynamic have 5 stars. L&G Multi-Index 3 & 5 also come out very well. I don't know why they haven't rated the VLS funds.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,675 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 November 2017 at 9:29PM
    Options
    Interesting as I'm thinking of opening a SIPP for my wife, but was considering AJ Bell or HL as the drawdown fees from HSD seem high. However as you have 20+ years to go that won't be a problem for you at this time.

The biggest problem I have is that I am still at least 20 years away from accessing my pots. Having paid for most of the house and contributed nearly enough into my pensions then I have a growing sense that I am just treading water at work to pay for basic living expenses and give my son a good start in life.

I ask myself 'what's the point' and 'why am I doing this' only to realise 'oh yeah, because I have to as I am still 20+ years from retirement'.

I haven't really compared drawdown fees but I have read a few articles that suggest AJ Bell is particularly well placed in this regard.

Alex
  • DennisTenus
    Options

Really? Iweb told me it's still only 50k of protection under the provider not the fund manager
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport