Okay to split large investment between two multi asset funds?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,668 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Audaxer wrote: »
    Fair enough, although I have ISAs with both these platforms and am pretty sure they each have £50k FSCS protection.

Yes I understand there is only the possibility of an issue if you have the Halifax SIPP.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Audaxer wrote: »
    Interesting, as I didn't think bowlhead was in the mostly passive club.
    Alexland wrote: »
    That's certainly the strong impression I have seen from his extensive posts. I say mostly because nothing is ever purely passive as some allocation and risk decisions need to be made.
    bigadaj wrote: »
    I don't think he's particularly passive but he'll no doubt elucidate, possibly at some length.

Interesting - I'm sure there are lots of people I've discussed things with on this forum that have the impression I mostly prefer active investments - especially those that prefer the opposite and have challenged the views I put forward or had me challenge their passive preference and mentally wrote me off as an advocate of expensive active investment.

If it helps for whatever reason, I'm mostly not passive for my own Investments and those for my favourite family members, and someone poring over my investment choices might think they err on the side of complexity rather than simplicity. Clearly though, like Warren Buffet or whomever (not that I have his results or would want to go back in time to get them), I can easily recommend that other people 'keep it simple, you can't beat the market' while doing my own thing with my own money.

What I am a strong believer of, is that you don't know if you are truly happy with your choices until you can readily and dispassionately - or even passionately -argue the diametrically opposite viewpoint and be taken seriously as a credible advocate of that opposite view, while listening to all reasonable counterpoints. If you properly understand why someone believes what they believe and what the fundamental strengths, benefits, weaknesses and flaws of their argument are... then you can decide whether their view, or another's view, or your own instinctive choice for a particular scenario, is really the view that you want to take.

Investment is not black and white, right or wrong solution to a problem. There are shades of grey. A solution for one problem is not the solution to every problem. The solution for my grandfather, father, self, brother, nephew, son is not necessarily the same as each of the others' solutions even in respect of those objectives which they may have in common. There may be some lowest common denominator product that's good for all of them and that I'd heartily recommend to everyone on MSE. However, I couldn't tell you what that product is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure