We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2½

Options

Comments

• mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Anon wrote: »
    Apparently £3000 per year - even limits to gifts to family (you as the giver are potentially liable too depending who and how much!) as potentially avoiding inheritance tax :eek:

https://www.money.co.uk/guides/how-do-i-gift-money-without-being-taxed.htm

I will stop looking now and cross that bridge if we ever come to it :D.

Anon

Its very confusing. And its been set at £3000 now forever - it might have been a significant ammount at one time but not so much now
    Still £3000 into the mortgage deposit pot is still useful or to buy a first car or contents for a first house or into the wedding savings.
    Probably best to give £3 k in March and then another £3 k in April in the new tax year.
    Its not even that easy now to give it away. We contributed to eldest childs mortgage pot but the solicitor needed copies of statements of the account it had come from and we had to sign a statement to say it was a gift and not a loan that we expected returning.
    This is all to do with the money laundrying laws.
    I dont know what you would do if you kept savings under the mattress and had no proof of where you had acquired it.
    I suppose if you are thinking long term then the way around this is by setting up a standing order and donating £60 a week to your offspring into the mortgage deposit account and then if HMRc ever questioned it you can say your offspring bought groceries with it for up - its a small ammount enough to be dismissed - then you wouldnt have to produce bank statements or letters of intent etc

And ideally live another 7 years by which time HMRC would not be interested anyway
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • mhoc
    Options
    This is a new venture called the Chatty Cafe scheme, started here in the North West but going global - one of our Costas is on the list

https://thechattycafescheme.co.uk/
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • LANGO1966
    LANGO1966 Posts: 2,054 Forumite
    Options
    Shop from today

Tesco
    1x Wham Raspberry Flavoured Bar (16g) £0.10 N/A
    1x ASDA Baker's Selection White Finger Rolls (6pk) £0.65 N/A
    1x Hessy's Hot Dog Frankfurters (350g) £1.00 N/A
    2x ASDA Grower's Selection Ready to Eat Bananas (5pk) £1.80 £0.98
    1x ASDA Grower's Selection Galia Melon (each) £1.25 £0.49
    1x Maoam Giant Strawberry Stripes (1pk) £0.10 £0.10
    1x Haribo Starmix (1pk) £0.10 £0.10
    1x Swizzels Refreshers Original Lemon Flavour (18g) £0.10 £0.10
    3x Starbucks Fairtrade Espresso Roast Dark Whole Bean 100% Arabica Coffee (200g) £10.47 £8.25
    1x Dolmio Sauce for Bolognese Smooth Tomato Family Size (750g) £2.55 £1.30
    1x ASDA Wafer Thin Honey Roast Ham (420g) £1.79 £1.94
    1x Barratt Flumps (12g) £0.10 £0.10
    Comparison total (compared products only) £18.26 £13.36
    +£4.90 cheaper
  • cjj_2
    cjj_2 Posts: 6,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Afternoon all hope everyone is well.

According to hukd liquid soap is 29p in A. Hth

Can anyone advise me which photo app to use for uploading on here please ? I have a new rescue kitten to show you :)

xx
    Cherish those you have in your life because you never know when they won't be there anymore.

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up & never give up.
  • mhoc
    Options
    elainemn wrote: »
    Marks £5 off trousers and leggings has just popped into my inbox. Off to see if anything cheap now :)

Checked my sparks accounts but nothing exciting on any of them :(

I has a quick look at our local Marks this morning and the sale was reduced to one side rail. Nothing of interest but they had several gorgeous mens wool jackets in size 38 and size 40 reduced from £199 to £12 :eek: - decades since my OH was that size.
    Also fishnet tights :)

I've had 2 nice tops last Saturday in a bigger store so I knew that was the best I was going to find - even then there were not much in the regular size range 12 to size 18. I also looked on Wednesday but the choice by then was minimal.
    I did though get a nice top from H&M and a nice dress both for 4 pounds so happy enough with that.

There is not a lot left on the Tu clothing sale either except for underwear

https://tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/c/Sale/women-sale?q=%3Aprice-desc&page=1&size=100
  • Honeybee1978
    Options
    Is mullers best to compare with tesco and is the cherry bakewell trigger? And get 5 of them and 7 others. Will that work
  • tweets
    tweets Posts: 35,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    cjj wrote: »

Can anyone advise me which photo app to use for uploading on here please ? I have a new rescue kitten to show you :)

xx

https://postimages.org/

15 inch screen

Copy hotlink for forums

Paste on here and we can see new kitten :T
  • mhoc
    Options
    An email this morning stating a £5 e-giftcard when you purchase a groupon deal before midnight, invite only. It is on a banner at the top of the Groupon page for me.

2 good ones to get are 50p (£1.99 P&P) paint brushes
    https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/dekton-five-piece-paint-brush-set
    other is plane label £1 (£1.99 P&P)
    https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/plane-luggage-tags

I was mad keen to do this one but then with the postage it looks like you need to spend a minimum of £2.49 to get your £5 Marks :(

But a few things might be of use to make it worthwhile.
    These are worth getting - I use mine to store the spare loyalty cards I only use once in a blue moon like the Ikea cards. OK they may not be tough enough for daily usage but as I only open mine about once a month so its good enough - keeps the everyday purse from bulging at the sides.

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/aluminium-card-holder-wallet-1?deal_option=fa0b6b0d-7c9b-4244-8b39-480941f723ff
  • zippydooda
    zippydooda Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Budweiser 8 x 473ml £5 @ ASDA in my store today
  • elainemn
    elainemn Posts: 3,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    cjj wrote: »

xx

I use this one
    https://postimages.org/

Instructions I was given:
    resize to 15 inch screen you need to do this for every photo you post .
    Browse to find pic you want to post . Open pic so it uploads to tinypic.
    Upload on tinypic then copy IMG post and paste on here
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family