Options

Comments

• Savvybuyer
    Savvybuyer Posts: 22,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 May 2018 at 2:07PM
    Options
    Sarahdol75 wrote: »
    I think Race for Life are struggling to fill places this year, the one I am doing on Sunday, places still available which a few years ago was unheard of. I have noticed the last few years, there are less and less people attending. Shame.

I dont know why they dont open it up to everyone as they would get more people to enter and raise money. My children have always said they would like to do it but they cant as they are boys.

Fewer and fewer:rotfl::rotfl:.

Perhaps I am wrong as "everyone else" "always" says "less" so that is now the established correct way of doing things and I'm, increasingly, incorrect.

In addition, using the word "fewer" sounds rather formal and gives the wrong impression sometimes. I'm convinced also and separately that, sometimes, I've used the word "fewer" and other people have wrongly thought me to be incorrect when I've been correct.

(Explanation about my quotations: I've put quotes around "everyone else" as it is not literally everyone else but merely what seems to me the vast majority of people and quotes around "always" as they don't literally always, on every occasion, say "less" but they usually do. So it's not literally true and correct, hence the quote marks.)

Of course they can't literally open it to "everyone" as the word "everyone" includes one-day old babies, but I know what you mean:rotfl:.
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Picasso7 wrote: »
    Live chat response:

James: Sorry about that. I've had a word with the relevant team and they're aware of the issue so it should be fixed within the hour.

So you can get your cat food soon, mhoc, if James is right!

edit: working now for me.

done!

no starving moggies next week :)
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • Picasso7
    Picasso7 Posts: 4,038 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've done my order too. Had not realised cat food was so expensive!
  • zippydooda
    zippydooda Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mrsmac10 wrote: »
    M&S

I have read that M&S are launching a new monthly saver account 6% for £250pcm tomorrow Apparently £97 interest pa

HTH

i make it £90
  • Savvybuyer
    Savvybuyer Posts: 22,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 May 2018 at 2:55PM
    Options
    curl_girl wrote: »
    In a modern world, why does anyone have to walk you down the aisle?
    An independent woman could do it herself, followed by bridesmaids would be lovely.......

Afternoon peeps.

They don't. No-one has to do anything, in this regard.

A recent YouGov poll indicates - it doesn't "show" - that 69% of Britons remain in favour of the bride's father walking her down the aisle, down, I am told here, from 82% in 2014. If you look at it, the origin is a rather sexist one of when women were "owned" by their fathers, until they married then they were owned, as a possession, by their husbands in the same way as any goods or chattels are owned. However, it's just tradition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44123696

No reason to me why the tradition should not continue, even if it bears no relation to its origin. It's just a usual done thing. However, I don't see why people can't decide differently or sometimes, as in the case of illness etc., have to choose something else. In my view, it's up to the bride and/or bride and groom - I don't have any opinion as to what people should, or shouldn't, do. I don't see why they can't have someone other than the bride's father doing the walking or, indeed, no-one.

(Opinion polls don't "show" anything. If we are to follow the same standard as expressed in the BBC's Election guidelines, then the journalist at the BBC now writing that this poll "shows" anything seems to me to be incorrect.)

I suppose it is just an expectation that, generally, brides would be walked down the aisle by their father and, if for whatever reason there wasn't a father able to do that, that, normally, it would then be the bride's mother and that, when that expectation is not followed, or those expectations, it gives rise to people commenting on or otherwise raising the issue of what is being done - which is precisely what has happened. Of course I have lots of experience of not precisely doing everything in the normally expected way and it does raise comment (often on things that are unwritten rules that how I am supposed to guess in advance that they apply, or even know about them without ever having been told?:huh::rotfl:) and it certainly leads to people forming their impressions of you, most probably often wrong, and it does lead to people ostrasizing you or shunning you (by their actions or inactions, they never say anything directly to your face) or discriminating against you as a result - it's almost always unintentional and unconsciously (they are not even aware of it so how can they even avoid doing it?). Above all, people get incorrect impressions, that's the 'problem'. It's why I have no real friends:rotfl:. I think people get the impression there is something strange - they can't quite put their finger on what it is but are unsure and, whatever it is, it subconsciously puts them off. There's no way of even avoiding it as they are unaware that they are thinking that and no way that I could ever know or be able to say anything to correct their misunderstanding or assumption - oral communication being difficult or impossible to start and, even if I tried to, the right words would not be said, it would come across wrongly or give the wrong impression. I think people would tire of boredom if I tried to correct a misunderstanding that they and I don't even realise they have because it would be too complicated to explain what they had misunderstood.

That's the 'problem' with Asperger's as well. It's too complicated to explain:rotfl:.

'Problem' in inverted commas - it's only a problem if you perceive it that way. See - I have to explain why I've used quotes around that word too:rotfl:.
  • mhoc
    Options
    I've done my order too. Had not realised cat food was so expensive!

Its not so bad if you just have the normal one or 2 cats. Anymore and its like the feeding of the five thousand

We though switched to mostly tins as a tin is equivalent to 3 or 4 sachets and our gang will demolish a can in one sitting.

Sometimes they get a can of well drained and rinsed flaked tuna
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • Picasso7
    Options
    My brother's cats are partial to the tomato sauce in the tins of mackerel. They won't eat the mackerel though! :rotfl:
  • mhoc
    Options
    My brother's cats are partial to the tomato sauce in the tins of mackerel. They won't eat the mackerel though! :rotfl:

very weird. Sometimes I get some cat food sachets from Home Bargains which are about 60% fish, you can see great chunks of fish in it - ours go crackers for it.
    Tomato sauce is another oddity, ours also like the taste of pizza sauce and the sauce from baked beans - I seem to think cats like sweet things :)
  • Picasso7
    Options
    I'll tell him to try the baked beans! :)
  • curl_girl
    curl_girl Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Savvy, your attention to detail is amazing. :T
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboard!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure