New Start - New Life - New Plan!

Options

Comments

• DebtFreeDuo
    DebtFreeDuo Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know its a while off yet as you are in a contract but I'm a single parent and have a lot of evenings to fill with something, I have previously had Now TV and Netflix, currently using Prime, I find that if I rotate these then I always have something to watch. I also use catch up for ITV etc, this way I save on having to pay for my TV licence too as I don't watch any live TV.
    Change the way you see things and the things you see will change
  • Mags35
    Mags35 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Just wanted to say hi and subscribe to your journey, I’m a single parent and in debt too
  • Breo
    Breo Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Mags35 wrote: »
    Just wanted to say hi and subscribe to your journey, I’m a single parent and in debt too

Thank you. Im realising how many single parents are out there and enjoying connecting. All my friends are couples so easy to feel a bit of a failure right now
    Debt at seperation in October 2017: £15858
    Current Debt: £11,081.68
    Pay Off the Bed Challenge £90/1238.95
    [/FONT]
  • Breo
    Options
    Not really achieved very much today. Took little one out to feed the ducks and play in the park and that felt like an achievement in itself but not managed to save any money as such. (even feeding the ducks isn't free by the time we have driven there and bought bread/paid parking. But as I'm at my parents I'm not worrying too much about that stuff yet).

Been thinking about next steps - I'm going to go through all my old baby stuff and see what I can sell. I'd like to pay off my bed loan as whilst its interest free, the psychological benefit of one less debt will be huge) I had been saving it for baby number 2 but thats obviously not happening now.

So far I have:
    A pram (high spec, great condition, hopefully get 200)
    A next to me cot (£180 new, hoping for £50 as pristine)
    A wooden cot (hoping for £40)
    Two brand new with tags snow suits (Maybe £15 each)
    A massive bag of random clothes (may £50 total if I sell individually).

Just got to photo graph and get it on Facebook/ebay
    [/FONT]
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,408 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hope selling goes well :)
    Do you have a local FB buying/selling page?
    Ours is fab, no fees and posting!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Breo
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Hope selling goes well :)
    Do you have a local FB buying/selling page?
    Ours is fab, no fees and posting!

There are a couple - going to check them out over the next couple of weeks. Looks like a really good option compared to eBay and Paypal fees
    [/FONT]
  • 117pauline
    Options
    Hi Breo

Nice to see with a new diary. It's a great place to record your successes and to come when you need to vent and always for support.

The next few months are going to be up and down but it will get better. You and your little girl are the most important parts of this journey.

You are doing so well. Looking for areas where you can make savings. Don't forget that you will be grieving for what might have been. That takes up a lot of head space as well as energy.

And finally, let your parents help even if it is just for a parental hug!

Keep posting take care
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Hi Breo,

I'm another single parent having been separated for a year now. I don't know where my ex lives as he refuses to tell me, even when I requested for school records but I explained all this to my council and was given the single person discount for council tax.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Agree with 117 Pauline - there will be good days and bad days and I've found the grief for what might have been, hits at the strangest times but I have been amazed at how thoughtful and kind people have been, especially those who have found themselves on the single parent path too.

All the best with the EBay sales.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Breo
    Options
    Quick update - feeling very positive, and have spent a few weeks living with my parents whilst sorting myself out .

Savings I've made: 90 a month TV and internet replaced with a £39.99 package. Not spent any money on food this month so paid a small bit off the credit card. £40 made on ebay sales.

Changes I've made: Clearing out the house. I've gutted all the downstairs of the house, got rid of everything which didn't make me happy (all his mess and my rubbish!). We now have a clean and tidy, child friendly home with space for playing/eating/relaxing

Next Challenge - formal separation. I'm getting worried about my finances. I'm balancing the books and can even see a light at the end of the tunnel of paying off my debts. But will he then be able to benefit from all of this? He has never contributed financially in the 10 years we have lived together - but has done all the DIY etc. (I've paid for all materials and tools). His only substantial contribution has been primary carer for our daughter full time when I went back to work - for 1 year and 7 months. He will not be contributing anything going forward for the very foreseeable future.

My parents want to pay off my car loan for me and contribute to child related costs (buying her clothes/shoes/toys/non essential nice things). But is this a bad idea? Would he then benefit from our assets without having to contribute to debts.

One thing he has offered to do are all the jobs around the house in leu of child support (he is unemployed, and the circumstances of the split involve the police so he is unlikely to get work anytime soon). But again I don't know if this is a bad as continues his claim on the house.

I know I need to get legal advice but everytime I look online I have no idea how to pick a solicitor, and don't want to spend money until I really need to. Plus I get upset.

All that said, I'm stronger than I was when this all happened 5 weeks ago, and overall happier day to day.
    [/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business