🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Smart Meters

Options

Comments

• bondy01
    bondy01 Posts: 400 Forumite
    Options
    Zarch wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether EDF are installing SMETS2 meters as a new install?

My 87 and 85 year old parents are having one or two of them installed in 2 weeks. I will let you know when these things with zero benefit to them are installed.
    They keep ringing me from their Newcastle number on a daily basis about fitting them , I think it is time to move away from them. Anyone recommend a small provider with no smart meter requirement?
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,149 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    bondy01 wrote: »
    ...................when these things with zero benefit to them are installed................

Why don't you register online and look after the bills for them.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • bondy01
    bondy01 Posts: 400 Forumite
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Why don't you register online and look after the bills for them.

I do. All of the tariffs except the standard needed online bills only. Doesn't work when you get to that age.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,149 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    bondy01 wrote: »
    .............. Doesn't work when you get to that age.

I'm sorry I don't understand - if you get the bills online you could send your parents copies.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    I'm sorry I don't understand - if you get the bills online you could send your parents copies.
    Hi

... Or discuss the granting of power of attorney and handle the finances directly so that the elderly parents don't have to worry about bill payments at all!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Bark01
    Bark01 Posts: 882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

Scottish Power have an obligation to ensure that their existing customers are all offered Smart-Meters by a specific date, but there is no legislation or requirement in place either to force consumers to accept installation or to have any agreed installations to be completed by that date
    Z

I see this brought up quite often and its not entirely true.

Whilst it is true you can refuse to have smart meter as part of the main role out. By the end of the year you won't be able to refuse one if your traditional meter needs to be replaced either because its hit its re-certification date or it develops a fault. This legislation on this has either passed or is in final consultation.

The only situations where suppliers will be allowed to install legacy meters is in situations where the smart meter wouldn't have the same functionality as the legacy meter. This will really just be some complex time of use tariffs.

Whilst 99% of people will have to have a smart meter they will be completely within their rights to have it set up in dumb mode.
  • Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Options
    Bark01 wrote: »
    I see this brought up quite often and its not entirely true.

Whilst it is true you can refuse to have smart meter as part of the main role out. By the end of the year you won't be able to refuse one if your traditional meter needs to be replaced either because its hit its re-certification date or it develops a fault. This legislation on this has either passed or is in final consultation.

The only situations where suppliers will be allowed to install legacy meters is in situations where the smart meter wouldn't have the same functionality as the legacy meter. This will really just be some complex time of use tariffs.

Whilst 99% of people will have to have a smart meter they will be completely within their rights to have it set up in dumb mode.

Perhaps you could link us to this legislation that has passed or is in final consultation please?

Because lots of websites would appear to be out of date or soon will be, as the case may be
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=75586969&postcount=14
  • zeupater
    edited 15 March 2019 at 3:01PM
    Options
    Perhaps you could link us to this legislation that has passed or is in final consultation please?

Because lots of websites would appear to be out of date or soon will be, as the case may be
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=75586969&postcount=14
    Hi

I'd like to see that too! ....

As there's plenty of evidence that the industry takes little to no regard to meter certification anyway, I wouldn't think that they'd welcome the additional headache caused by advertising & highlighting their regulatory failures! ...

Maybe a 'class action' type £20billion fine directed at the suppliers would help stop this ridiculously expensive & environmentally unwarranted project, after all, there must be plenty of meters out there which have passed their certification period that haven't been replaced because of the clamour to grasp at project funding and improve margins .... Comply with regulations & ensure customer safety -or- bolster profit? ... well, there's a bit of a quandary!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    SMETS1 capable meter over the air (OTA) upgrades for meters installed by British
    Gas but now supplied by other suppliers

https://meteroperators.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/British-Gas-SMETS1-Capable-OTA-letter-vFINAL.pdf

Landis + Gyr Smart Gas Meter G470 Type Designation

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/608837/L_G_G470_67_061122_61_SGS0245_iss2_.pdf
  • zeupater
    edited 15 March 2019 at 3:26PM
    Options
    Michaelw wrote: »
    SMETS1 capable meter over the air (OTA) upgrades for meters installed by British
    Gas but now supplied by other suppliers

https://meteroperators.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/British-Gas-SMETS1-Capable-OTA-letter-vFINAL.pdf

Landis + Gyr Smart Gas Meter G470 Type Designation

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/608837/L_G_G470_67_061122_61_SGS0245_iss2_.pdf
    Hi

Looks like more of the same then! ... BG & the industry rushing to attempt to upgrade whatever equipment they already have in the field that can be upgraded to SMETS1 compliance so that they can register them and line their corporate pockets with funds that shouldn't be included (as in pre-SMETS installed meters!) before a cut-off deadline as opposed to concentrating on installing fully SMETS2 compliant units which they should have been doing for the last 5 years or so! ....

I do hope that everything not registered before the smart-meter project deadline date simply returns to being the responsibility of the industry to change within the normal exchange cycle & we all save £hundreds on our bills! ... ;)

HTH
    Z
    B)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport