The Edcawber Principle

Options

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My former employer no longer exists! They were a spun off joint venture set up as a LLP.
  • Science_mum
    Options
    Hi Ed
    Sorry to hear of your letter from HMRC... we had a similar bad experience a few years ago for my husband on PAYE... it was horrific; as they were chasing him for not filling a self assessment tax return (which was just insane as he was PAYE lower rate tax payer with no extra income, who had not been asked to fill out a self assessment form). In the end they dropped the action against him but never apologised for their humongous errors... hope you have better luck Science_mum
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Trying to move on from taxragegate :)

I have fitted a cat flap that will only lets our cat in based on her microchip (rather neatly, if I do say so myself) :j

Also spent a couple of hours pulling up dandelions (yes, already) and paid £3.60 off my CC.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend and supporting (or secretly cursing) the marchers in London, depending on your preferences ;) What a turnout, regardless...
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 March 2019 at 2:33PM
    Options
    Try posting your figures on the cutting tax forum. Is it possible they have you as having the first job all year? Is it possible they have you as having massive savings interest? A payout from your last job that wasn't taxed enough? Has someone missed the S off the end of your tax code?

Your tax allowance will show as the norm I think with any benefits showing as addition to income, so the opposite to what you are used to seeing. What idiot was it who thought up the "tax doesn't have to be taxing" advert. They had obviously never dealt with HMRC in the last few years!
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Just back from a lovely couple of days in Edinburgh (bar DD's newly acquired belligerence when it comes to wearing a) jeans and b) coats) :rotfl: A wee bit spendy, but various things sneakily covered by existing budgets and no real financial harm done...

I was well behaved yesterday and tried my hand at a wee bit of organic gardening (pretty much). I weeded the front bed and mulched with cardboard and ground cover. The final stage was wetting everything with a hose to get it to bed down, which I was completing just as the torrential hailstorm started! I must have looked like a total numpty with my hose in the rain :o Good exercise, a 17,000 step day.

Mrs E has taken DD out for a couple of fun things this morning, so I'm currently drinking my weight in :coffee: and updating spreadsheets. Like everyone else, my NW has taken a turn for the better by £2,500 or so and more importantly, our target FIRE date has dropped by 18 months vs. last month.

That and I won the lottery! I have transferred Mrs E her share of the £3 ;)

Have a lovely day all, I am on leave and full of the joys of spring.
  • edinburgher
    edited 3 April 2019 at 2:13PM
    Options
    £3.60 paid off a CC and three CCs closed - that's £20,000 of credit limit gone :)

We still have 5 cards between us (2 with a balance). I will close another one shortly, just want to try and keep our utilisation at or below 30%.

Also closed 2 current accounts and found £180.27 in associated savings accounts and another 2 random savings accounts! :j

I have bought £25 worth of PB and will use the rest of the money for good :)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,633 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    NW? :o

Glad that you had a good break in the Burgh :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,633 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Oh & good news on the CC's :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • edinburgher
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    NW? :o

Glad that you had a good break in the Burgh :)

Net worth...
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Back from a very enjoyable day at the Brewd0g AGM _pale_ It's rare to have a day off and I'm sure that my batteries will feel recharged tomorrow :j

Four hours on public transport with a hangover has made me decide that I am now too old for hangovers and that I will be changing my habits to stick to NHS guidelines from now on :)

I'm not one of those people who promises to cut back drinking every time they feel a bit rough the next day, I just don't think it's worth it any more.

£76.39 paid off a CC (1/19th of the money Mrs E BTed for me). This month will see £400+ getting paid off and the debt will fall under £15k.

Fingers crossed my backdated pay et. al should be resolved tomorrow.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback