bitcoin trading.

Options

Comments

• ivormonee
    Options
    If you're still interested in investing in Bitcoin be aware that it's dropped 19% so far today!
  • 4_Pete's_Sake
    4_Pete's_Sake Posts: 309 Forumite
    Newshound! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 December 2017 at 2:04AM
    Options
    Duplicate Post, see full post below.
    IF THIS POST HAS BEEN HELPFUL - PLEASE CLICK ON THANKS :j
  • 4_Pete's_Sake
    4_Pete's_Sake Posts: 309 Forumite
    Newshound! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 December 2017 at 2:05AM
    Options
    In fact Bitcoin dropped from $19,694 on 17th December to $10,891 at 2.22pm intra-day on 22nd December (a fall of 45%) but recovered to $13,866 at end of play on 22nd December, a drop of almost 30%. I'm sure that this is its biggest ever retreat and spells massive danger. Some may think this is the time to buy. However others may feel that it has now reached its peak and now is the time to take profits whilst there are still profits to be taken. I do feel for those who bought on what was a huge spike.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm sure that this is its biggest ever retreat

Not even close to it.

No one should be putting anything into BTC at this stage which they're not prepared to lose.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • 4_Pete's_Sake
    Options
    JohnRo wrote: »
    Not even close to it.

No one should be putting anything into BTC at this stage which they're not prepared to lose.

Maybe not its biggest drop in percentage terms (45%) but certained its biggest drop in terms of a bitcoin's value (minus £8,803 per bitcoin).
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    ivormonee wrote: »
    If you're still interested in investing in Bitcoin be aware that it's dropped 19% so far today!
    Looking at an exchange right now (gdax in this case) shows a 23.3% rise in BTC/GBP in the last 24h.

The lesson is that BTC is very volatile. Which we already knew ;)
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i hadn't come across Bitstamp, bowlhead.. thank you:grin:.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73608821#post73608821
  • AlexTheLion
    Options
    Sounds like Pokemon cards for adults.
    Fresh air investment.
    It wont end well.

Very much agreed that it won't end well for a lot of people. Personally think the issue is that people invest in whatever is on the market that has a % next to it with the hope of gains. The key in my opinion is to invest in the crypto as a technology and not a short term % gain/loss. Some examples:

IOTA - Tangle technology that has a partnership with BOSCH and Volkswagen

Ripple - Connections with large banks in India/Japan etc to improve global payment transaction system

Stellar Lumens - Partnership with IBM

Amongst a fair amount of others including Cardano, Verge, there's tons. And 99.9% of them will be useless in a few years. But to get a small amount of investment in the right one may well pay dividends in the end. Or it will 100% be worthless.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,815 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 December 2017 at 4:07PM
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    On realising that it was true, and therefore six times as expensive as Bitstamp which is a large and highly credible European-based exchange I've used over the last few years, I concluded there was no point opening an account with coinbase for the privilege of paying those huge fees.

Those who are buying Bitcoin or Ethereum either from Coinbase or Bitstamp, which type of wallet are you using ??

Saving it in the exchange web wallet /Vault (e.g Coinbase or Bitstamp) is the easiest way to manage it. But what about if they run away with your money and let their company / platform to default ??

Using your own Secure key / wallet seems to be a solution if you wanted to have a full control of it. But How to do it ??

Is there any particular software software to use ? If so does it mean we are depending on the mercy of the software developers. What about the compatibility with operating systems which keep developing. Could it happen that someday we are not able to access it (trade / sell it) when it is not compatible with the new development of OS ??
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,815 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 December 2017 at 5:10PM
    Options
    ivormonee wrote: »

If you are worried the value of BC drop by 19% or even larger then 30% then unless you have a crystal ball, you should not touch Bitcoin even with a barge pole.

Since the introduction of BC, the history has shown that BC has dropped 30% or more multiple times before it rises again to a new high. It is a very volatile. You should consider BC as a speculative move rather than investment. But some people have become millionaires from this speculative move.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure