Tesco Savings DDs

Options

Comments

• 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    10_66 wrote: »
    Is this bizarre or normal? Having spent what feels like half my life setting up new DDs to replace those that will be lost from Tesco, I logged on to my tesco accounts yesterday (and again today) and tried to delete the linked accounts under the recipient accounts (having already cancelled the respective DDs with various bank accounts). I just kept getting this message "We can't delete this account as there are still payments scheduled. Please cancel the payments before you delete this account".

There are no scheduled payments to be made though, I cancelled the DDs around a month before the next ones would have been due. I'm surprised by the message, considering they're axing them next month anyway. Any ideas?
    polymaff wrote: »
    Those two actions are logically the same thing - except, I suspect, you really didn't mean what you wrote.

Not the clearest description of a process I've ever read. :)

I guess that the correct response to the emboldened text above might be "No you didn't!" - but I'm not sure !!!

I logged onto the various bank accounts and cancelled the DDs that were going to Tesco accounts. The DDs were cancelled around a month from when they're next due.

I logged onto Tesco accounts yesterday and today and tried to delete the "linked" accounts (ie the bank accounts for which the DDs had been cancelled), which is when their "We can't delete this account as there are still payments scheduled. Please cancel the payments before you delete this account" statement popped up.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @10_66

I think Tesco are having a few IT issues at the moment, see other threads about strange emails and letters they're sending out in error. I'd give it a couple of weeks. Or just write Tesco a letter asking them to close all the accounts and cancel any payments due to be made.
  • 10_66
    Options
    Herbalus wrote: »
    ...I think Tesco are having a few IT issues at the moment, see other threads about strange emails and letters they're sending out in error...

Thanks Herbalus, yes, I've also had an email from them today regarding an ISA I've got with them - which I certainly do not have.
  • Herbalus
    Options
    Thanks Herbalus, yes, I've also had an email from them today regarding an ISA I've got with them - which I certainly do not have.

Give it a day or 2 and you'll have an apology from them about that as well!

I have the apology for the ISA email, but no ISA email. I do have a letter about my "incorrect" phone number, but no apology for that.
  • 10_66
    edited 16 March 2018 at 9:43PM
    Options
    Give it a day or 2 and you'll have an apology from them about that as well!

I have the apology for the ISA email, but no ISA email. I do have a letter about my "incorrect" phone number, but no apology for that.

Haha! They're having a good day aren't they! :rotfl:

It must be their computer systems going into overload with all of the DDs that they'll be stopping next month.

• polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    Options
    I logged onto the various bank accounts and cancelled the DDs that were going to Tesco accounts. The DDs were cancelled around a month from when they're next due.

I logged onto Tesco accounts yesterday and today and tried to delete the "linked" accounts (ie the bank accounts for which the DDs had been cancelled), which is when their "We can't delete this account as there are still payments scheduled. Please cancel the payments before you delete this account" statement popped up.

That's a bit clearer, so I'm a bit more confident in saying "No you didn't"

When you are logged onto a non-Tesco bank you can't cancel the DD mandate - which is the key to what you are trying to do - I think. All you achieve is that you instruct the non-Tesco bank to ignore any request by the mandate-owner - Tesco - to hand over ("pull") some of your cash. The mandate is therefore still in place and Tesco know nothing else than that the mandate is in place. They've no idea of what you have just done. So, when you actually try to cancel the mandate by asking Tesco to delete it, they naturally warn you that scheduled pulls are still in place.

Leastways that is how I try to make sense of your shaggy-dog narrative. Am I anywhere near the bullseye? :)
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    There's a lot of scrabbling around on this thread. Are DDs really that hard to come by?

Mine are as follows:
    Barclays - LISA, S&S ISA
    Co-op - Council Tax, Broadband, Mobile, Gas
    Halifax - Credit card, longstanding charity
    Lloyds - 2 credit cards
    TSB - none needed on my version

I know I could move cashback DDs to Natwest, but I've actually just transferred them out of there to Co-op because it's not worth it for me really. Those DDs are low so I make just over £1/month net on that account. Better in Co-op.

For me I use the DD to collect the money rather than spend it and accounts like that are harder to come by.

To spend it is much easier as you show.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2018 at 10:33AM
    Options
    There's a lot of scrabbling around on this thread. Are DDs really that hard to come by?

Your needs are trivial compared to most of the other MSEers participating in this thread. If you need proof of that, try to identify another dozen DDs (and as KTF implies - low, preferably zero-cost, monthly-paying DDs) and you'll be up to speed with the thread.
  • youngretired
    Options
    10_66 have you actually deleted the DD's of your Internet Savers by going into Manage Accounts and Payees and then payments? This is where it shows regular DD set up so you need to delete from this area and then it should allow you to delete the accounts.
  • Herbalus
    Options
    KTF wrote: »
    For me I use the DD to collect the money rather than spend it and accounts like that are harder to come by.

To spend it is much easier as you show.

But this isn't anything more than normal spending. It's certainly not extra spending to get the direct debit. It's 3 credit cards (1 is everyday, 2 are used once per month so the DD is active), 2 of my investment choices (my own savings), and the rest are basically household bills that need paying.

I can't think of many more accounts worth having where people need the DD functionality that's causing clearly considerable effort.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure