PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Cellar conversion ‘does not comply with building regulations’

Options
13»

Comments

• AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We (you?) only seem to be getting bits of the story.

You say " ...had a survey come back with the above statement which has drastically reduced the valuation (by £30k)". Do you mean "a survey" which you comissioned and if so, what kind; Homebuyers or Full/Structural", or was this just the Lender's surveyor's valuation? And either way, are you still keen to proceed, and is the Lender still giving you a big enough mortgage to permit this?

Either way, and assuming you like the place, you'll face all the problems mentioned above when you eventually sell it on. And if, at that time, it's a difficult market, you could take a hit on the resale value.

As this is a recent conversion, seemingly to a pair of habitable rooms with an ensuite shower, it must have cost the owner (developer?) at least £25-50k to do the work. In which case, they must be daft or naive not to have involved building control at a fee of only about £500 or so, or to have appointed a builder who didn't want to do the work to Buiding Regs. Or maybe stupid or naive enough to think they could sell without?

So, notwithstanding what the mystery surveyor has said, and where they got that information (post #18 above)...

Has your solicitor actually asked the vendor's solicitor if they applied for Building Regs, and if so, whether there was a final inspection and if so, what the outcome was?

Having recently completed a much less ambitious conversion of a big
    garage to a habitable room with an ensuite, about £18k of work, I know that it's really easy to work with Building Inspectors. Ours visited a couple of times and only suggested added sub-floor insulation and better footings across where the door had been; a couple of hundred quid extra cost, so no big deal. My builder gave me a guarantee too; so ask about that?

And maybe ask your solicitor to hold off on the searches and other enquiries til this potential deal breaker is sorted, to limit any abortive legal costs.

It's really down to the vendor to sort; do not approach the Local Authority yourself.

At the end of the day, and if the price is right, you may be prepared to buy it as is; without Building Regs sign off or a guarantee of competent workmanship, with or without your own full structural survey; but that's your call, and expect problems when you re-sell.

And apologies if all this has already been covered; I wandered off in the middle of typing to cook tonight's dinner; Chana and chicken curry!
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Surrey_EA wrote: »
    Surely there are at least a few possible outcomes in between bodge job and conversion fully signed off?

The cost of Building Control against the cost and detail of a proper cellar conversion? I don't believe that there is, to be frank.

Any cellar conversion needs to be carried out by people that know exactly what they are doing, with guarantees provided. The risk of failure of a cellar conversion is *high*.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    The cost of Building Control against the cost and detail of a proper cellar conversion? I don't believe that there is, to be frank.

Any cellar conversion needs to be carried out by people that know exactly what they are doing, with guarantees provided. The risk of failure of a cellar conversion is *high*.

Without knowing the reason for why a building regs sign off has not been issued it's difficult to be certain as to the quality of the work.

It may be a total bodge, or it may be a very high quality job, that is missing one element before a sign off can be given.

You clearly know your stuff, and know far more than I, but I recall the various hoops I needed to jump through with my own cellar conversion, and despite the actual tanking work being done to a very high standard other factors prevented the issue of a building regs completions certificate for a time.
  • CG77
    CG77 Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    Options
    AlexMac wrote: »
    We (you?) only seem to be getting bits of the story.

You say " ...had a survey come back with the above statement which has drastically reduced the valuation (by £30k)". Do you mean "a survey" which you comissioned and if so, what kind; Homebuyers or Full/Structural", or was this just the Lender's surveyor's valuation? And either way, are you still keen to proceed, and is the Lender still giving you a big enough mortgage to permit this?

It was the lender’s valuation survey and no they won’t lend us enough to still buy at the asking price-we’d need to negotiate. I was wondering how much of an issue this sounds to be so I could decide if I even want to negotiate.

Either way, and assuming you like the place, you'll face all the problems mentioned above when you eventually sell it on. And if, at that time, it's a difficult market, you could take a hit on the resale value.

I agree and have no intention of paying full asking price until a valuation says that’s what it’s worth

As this is a recent conversion, seemingly to a pair of habitable rooms with an ensuite shower, it must have cost the owner (developer?) at least £25-50k to do the work. In which case, they must be daft or naive not to have involved building control at a fee of only about £500 or so, or to have appointed a builder who didn't want to do the work to Buiding Regs. Or maybe stupid or naive enough to think they could sell without?

I’m hoping he just needs it checking over and certificates etc putting in place-he is an experienced developer and genuinely seems a decent bloke (the estate agents have sold many of his properties before)

So, notwithstanding what the mystery surveyor has said, and where they got that information (post #18 above)...

Has your solicitor actually asked the vendor's solicitor if they applied for Building Regs, and if so, whether there was a final inspection and if so, what the outcome was?

No, I don’t think the vendor is aware yet. I spoke to the estate agent about the valuation but haven’t managed to get hold of them since I read the report stating the lack of building regs as a reason for the down valuation

Having recently completed a much less ambitious conversion of a big
    garage to a habitable room with an ensuite, about £18k of work, I know that it's really easy to work with Building Inspectors. Ours visited a couple of times and only suggested added sub-floor insulation and better footings across where the door had been; a couple of hundred quid extra cost, so no big deal. My builder gave me a guarantee too; so ask about that?

Thanks, I will

And maybe ask your solicitor to hold off on the searches and other enquiries til this potential deal breaker is sorted, to limit any abortive legal costs.

I have already done this-my solicitor is fab!

It's really down to the vendor to sort; do not approach the Local Authority yourself.

At the end of the day, and if the price is right, you may be prepared to buy it as is; without Building Regs sign off or a guarantee of competent workmanship, with or without your own full structural survey; but that's your call, and expect problems when you re-sell.

And apologies if all this has already been covered; I wandered off in the middle of typing to cook tonight's dinner; Chana and chicken curry!

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply in detail. Curry sounds yummy!
    New Year, New Me!!!
    Weight loss mission 2012 has officially begun!!
    :jLoss so far: 3 stone 4lbs:j
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 October 2017 at 5:32PM
    Options
    Surrey_EA wrote: »
    Without knowing the reason for why a building regs sign off has not been issued it's difficult to be certain as to the quality of the work.

It may be a total bodge, or it may be a very high quality job, that is missing one element before a sign off can be given.

You clearly know your stuff, and know far more than I, but I recall the various hoops I needed to jump through with my own cellar conversion, and despite the actual tanking work being done to a very high standard other factors prevented the issue of a building regs completions certificate for a time.

If a certificate can be obtained, it should be obtained, especially in the course of selling. It's different when you're living somewhere being a bit 'manãna' about it. I understand that and it's certainly something I've been accustomed to - a builder living in a builder's house. :o

From the OP, this isn't a usual case of a surveyor asking that the vendor provides certificates, it's something immediately obvious. I'd take a wild guess that the obvious problem might the room without an escape window. Of there's only one escape then the cellar needs to be one room.

I absolutely stand by what I said initially. As someone who is capable of being pragmatic about these things, I would not pay for a converted cellar unless it had full sign off from Building Control and an insurance backed guarantee. The risk is too high.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure