PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

house renovation costs

Options

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    A party wall agreement? They won't, unless they're planning to cut into, cut off, add to a party wall or build an extension within 3 metres of someone's building.

General works of the sort that the OP lists don't fall under the Party Wall Act. It's almost always extensions and loft conversions. You're allowed to do plumbing, electrics, plastering and attach things to the wall.

It was the damp proofing I wasn't sure about when drilling into the wall joined onto next door to put in a chemically injected damp course. Some walls between terraced houses are not all that thick.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,903 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    It was the damp proofing I wasn't sure about when drilling into the wall joined onto next door to put in a chemically injected damp course. Some walls between terraced houses are not all that thick.

Ah, DPCs. A whole other thread. I'd avoid them altogether!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • elliemet23
    Options
    If you have a good look round and challenge prices you can get good deals... We have been quoted the prices for the below:

Full heating system (boiler and 8 radiators) - £3000 (with 10 year guarantee and fitting)
    Each room is roughly (dependent on size) going to cost £400-500 to plaster including materials.
    Damp proofing is around £2000
    New bathroom (even from B&Q) is around £3000
    New Kitchen (dependent on size) around £5000
    Windows and doors around £7000
    Decoration really is down to your own taste but I would imagine for paint and wallpaper around £1000 for the whole house?

Hope this helps!

Good luck!
    xxx
    27th October - £1008.86 owed
    24th November - £987.02 owed
    Bloody interest :mad::eek:
  • traybonoaholly
    Options
    we plan to pay out for new boiler and windows and doors. we will get a cheap kitchen ex display or 2nd hand if in good nick and a cheap new suite for bathroom but as for tiling and all other work my husband will do this himself as hes veru good at stuff like that
  • westernpromise
    Options
    In my experience it depends wholly on the postcode. Tradesmen don't need to see the job to price it; they just need to know where it is. There is also a minimum for any job which is also area dependent - in mine it is £4 to £5,000.

Replaster and redecorate an average bedroom: £5,000
    Relocate a water tank: £5,000
    New boiler: £7,000
    Level and relay the lawn: £9,000
    Gut and replace a bathroom: £20,000
    Replace two windows (casements only, not frames): £5,000
    Build a plinth for a shed, supply and fit shed: £4,000
    etc
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,903 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In my experience it depends wholly on the postcode. Tradesmen don't need to see the job to price it; they just need to know where it is. There is also a minimum for any job which is also area dependent - in mine it is £4 to £5,000.

Replaster and redecorate an average bedroom: £5,000
    Relocate a water tank: £5,000
    New boiler: £7,000
    Level and relay the lawn: £9,000
    Gut and replace a bathroom: £20,000
    Replace two windows (casements only, not frames): £5,000
    Build a plinth for a shed, supply and fit shed: £4,000
    etc

These are the most random prices I've ever seen!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2017 at 12:55PM
    Options
    I always though that we were in the catchment area for expensive trades....but just how big is that "average" bedroom if thats the price to renovate one room.....clearly not with average features!

I somehow would love to see the rest of the list for the other areas of the property renovation.
    I often wonder if I overspent on my kitchen when we did it....maybe not accoring to westernpromise.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Put another way - I don't think Western Promise is serious.

If they are, then zie is obviously in Knightsbridge etc type territory - with lots of wealthy Chinese/Arabic customers...:cool:
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,043 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

£5000 to redecorate and re-plaster a bathroom??

£20,000 to replace a bathroom???

:rotfl:
  • westernpromise
    Options

They're actual typical prices around here.

To remove a hot water tank from the airing cupboard and put two new ones in the attic: £5,000
    To merge the cupboard with the bathroom to make two bathrooms, fitted, tiled and equipped: £40,000
    To supply and fit a kitchen including all appliances and tiling: £50,000
    To renovate completely two small bedrooms: £9,000
    To renovate completely one double bedroom: £5,000
    To replace twelve windows and a back door: £32,000

We are growing pretty expert at predicting what the quote will be for any given job. The garden varies a bit, but the shed supplier reckoned it should be £600 to build a plinth for it. We got a couple of quotes online from people who didn't even need to see the job that were all in the £2k to £4k range with the record being £6k. That did not include supplying or assembling the shed. We got it done for £1200 in the end, which we thought was good as it was only double what the supplier thought it should be.

Predicting garden job prices is harder - the quote for the lawn was £9000 and when we observed that it's always very soggy in winter the gardeners suggested they estimate for a buried draining system. Mrs Promise though this would be about another £9k but I saw the piggy look of greed in his eyes and thought £14k and sure enough he quoted £13k. When we asked for wisteria round the door I though that was going to be £4k but he surprised us with a quote for only £400! He must have misheard us.

What we need, really, is an identical house somewhere horrible but within reach. We could then get the quote for the horrible postcode, and then tell the tradesman it's the identical job but elsewhere. Even that probably wouldn't work, however, as probably they just wouldn't turn up, either to the dodgy postcode to quote or to the real one to do what they consider a £5k job for £2k.

This isn't just us, this is everyone we know. Someone we know through the kids at school has just moved into a colossally expensive new build serviced flat that's about 8000 square feet. Not only isn't it finished or built properly but every job there is £15k not £5k.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport