We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

ebay do you check if a household is non-smoking

Options
13»

Comments

• FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd hope that someone would state whether it was from a pet ans smoke free household if I was buying, for instance, soft furnishings or a rug but most clothes smell musty where they've been hanging in the wardrobe for ages and need a wash anyway so that wouldn't bother me as much.

Incidentally, I am a lifelong non smoker though my son smokes in his room with the window open. I can tell from downstairs if he's left his bedroom door open when he nips to the loo, it's disgusting!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    af273 wrote: »
    Well not had a complaint yet! and no my house doesn't stink, my husband wouldn't be able to bear it

Either neither of you smell it or one doesn't want to admit to the other (or you both can't smell it) but either way, it stinks.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 October 2017 at 10:01PM
    Options
    I've had visitors in the past who have smoked (all my friends have given up since) I even smoked myself at one time :o

However no one (including me) has ever smoked in my house.

Whilst yes it still does stink and you can smell it, I really don't think it would get ingrained into plastic like this, the person who sold those clearly smokes in the house.

I think it is rare for people to smoke now and even rarer for them to smoke inside. That must be why normally my ebay purchases are ok, some of them probably do come some from smokers but they don't smoke in the home.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I messaged the seller to see if I could return if the smell didn't fade, they haven't replied yet.

Items are still in the shed. I am hoping at the weekend it doesn't rain so I can leave them outside. Also wiping them down with anti bac wipes might be worth a try.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I messaged the seller to see if I could return if the smell didn't fade, they haven't replied yet.

Items are still in the shed. I am hoping at the weekend it doesn't rain so I can leave them outside. Also wiping them down with anti bac wipes might be worth a try.

Just open a SNAD on the grounds the item stinks of smoke.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,392 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    af273 wrote: »
    Well not had a complaint yet! and no my house doesn't stink, my husband wouldn't be able to bear it

Seriously, anyone living with a smoker becomes a bit nose blind to it and will smell of it themselves anyway.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • skeki
    skeki Posts: 9 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I came to the forum to post some hopefully helpful advice and saw this thread. I am an ex-smoker hopefully forever. But most of you non smokers should be aware that your house probably stinks and the smell transfers to fabric.
    I worked in curtain shops for many years and despite being a smoker at the time had to air every set of curtains EVERY SET returned if they had been out of the packet (sometimes if they had not been - probably a smoking household). Every set stank of household smells of one sort or another whether smoking or non smoking.
    Just thought I would throw that in the mix as non smokers are not the only ones who can detect bad odours but seem to blame smokers for every bad smell. (sat next to a smoker the other day and yes I could tell, dirty smell but not bad bad as some you get in public.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport