ebay do you check if a household is non-smoking

Options
Further to my other thread where I have recived items that stunk of smoke I am kicking myself that I didn't check.

I buy quite a bit off ebay and never check, most of time its fine (I think sactiscally there must be far less smoking households than non-smoking)

Clothes it isn't so much of an issue as they can be washed but plastic/electrical I really must learn/remember to check everytime.

I acknowledge the sellers don't do anything wrong if not stated non-smoking but most non-smoking households don't state either.

If you are a seller do you state non-smoking/smoking? If not do you get lots of people messaging to check?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,310 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I tend not to bother mentioning it on my auctions as I hate lots of clutter in the description. However, as my household is totally non smoking (I don't think I even know anyone that smokes any more) I know that no one is going to be disappointed.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have to admit I have never thought to even ask that question as buyer or seller
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    I tend not to bother mentioning it on my auctions as I hate lots of clutter in the description. However, as my household is totally non smoking (I don't think I even know anyone that smokes any more) I know that no one is going to be disappointed.

Quite I don't know anyone who smokes either.

I think this creates a false sense of security in buyers as not many people do mention non-smoking and those that don't generally tend to be anyway - hence why I get annoyed (with myself more than anything) when something arrives stinking of smoke that can't be washed/rid of the smell.

Out of intereset do you get many messages asking if your items come from a non-smoking household? the only way I see stopping it is to keep asking the question, or just accept the fact I will get the odd one and lose out every now and again.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,310 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Quite I don't know anyone who smokes either.

I think this creates a false sense of security in buyers as not many people do mention non-smoking and those that don't generally tend to be anyway - hence why I get annoyed (with myself more than anything) when something arrives stinking of smoke that can't be washed/rid of the smell.

Out of intereset do you get many messages asking if your items come from a non-smoking household? the only way I see stopping it is to keep asking the question, or just accept the fact I will get the odd one and lose out every now and again.

I don't recall ever having been asked if items come from a non smoking household. However, I would expect to see it mentioned in the feedback of a seller if they smoke heavily as so many people now do object to the terrible smell.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If an item is described as good condition, that includes not stinking of smoke.

Smokers should be aware of how much they stink, so should avoid selling clothes or items that can retain the smell in reality! Even if you don't smoke on the house the smell is easily transferred.

I bought a stroller once for very little money as the sellers feedback was full of negs from people saying items stank of smoke. I accepted this, and hence won it for very little money. It did stink, so I sponged it down and left it outside for a few days to de-stink it!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    If an item is described as good condition, that includes not stinking of smoke.

Smokers should be aware of how much they stink, so should avoid selling clothes or items that can retain the smell in reality! Even if you don't smoke on the house the smell is easily transferred.

I bought a stroller once for very little money as the sellers feedback was full of negs from people saying items stank of smoke. I accepted this, and hence won it for very little money. It did stink, so I sponged it down and left it outside for a few days to de-stink it!

I couldn't have said it any better myself.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A non smoking home can be irrelevant if you use certain black bags or mail bags that for some reason stink of stale smoke. Brought some black bags (for rubbish) from Wilko that when you open smell like a heavy smoker has been living in it.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    A non smoking home can be irrelevant if you use certain black bags or mail bags that for some reason stink of stale smoke. Brought some black bags (for rubbish) from Wilko that when you open smell like a heavy smoker has been living in it.

I agree. I would have suggested the bag smell to the OP but the purchase was plastic - I am not sure how much plastic bag smell would emanate across to a piece of plastic. Only the OP knows if this is relevant or not.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What does it matter what other people do? If it matters to you, just ask before you buy - that's exactly why there is a facility to ask the seller a question. Better to check first than bleat afterwards that something smells of smoke, which will usually but not always go away if the item is left in the fresh air - not necessarily outdoors - for a few days. Don't blame the seller for not being a mind-reader about what is important to you as a buyer!
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Brynsam wrote: »
    What does it matter what other people do? If it matters to you, just ask before you buy - that's exactly why there is a facility to ask the seller a question. Better to check first than bleat afterwards that something smells of smoke, which will usually but not always go away if the item is left in the fresh air - not necessarily outdoors - for a few days. Don't blame the seller for not being a mind-reader about what is important to you as a buyer!

Do you smoke?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport