We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

ebay do you check if a household is non-smoking

Options

Comments

• iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Brynsam wrote: »
    What does it matter what other people do? If it matters to you, just ask before you buy - that's exactly why there is a facility to ask the seller a question. Better to check first than bleat afterwards that something smells of smoke, which will usually but not always go away if the item is left in the fresh air - not necessarily outdoors - for a few days. Don't blame the seller for not being a mind-reader about what is important to you as a buyer!

I do wonder if anyone actually reads anything or just reads what they want to see.

If you look back you will see several times I have stated it is mine fault I am in this situation, as I didn't check.

The purpose of this thread was just a gengeral discusion on if it was common to ask to the question or to state in listings if items come from non-smoking homes.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The items came in a jiffy bag, it was a re-used jiffy bag but I don't think that would make a difference.

I have receiced items before in black bags and never noticed a smell.
  • Middlestitch
    Middlestitch Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No - I find the more I put in a listing, the less likely people are to read it. I do include a sentence inviting them to contact me if they have any questions. I've never been asked about whether the item comes from a non-smoking household, but I am occasionally asked if there are pets in the house.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,392 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No - I find the more I put in a listing, the less likely people are to read it. I do include a sentence inviting them to contact me if they have any questions. I've never been asked about whether the item comes from a non-smoking household, but I am occasionally asked if there are pets in the house.

Just a warning, be careful how your phrase your 'please contact me' message. Ebay have decided that allowing buyers and sellers to talk to each other is now a bad thing and people are being restricted on the flimsiest of reasons. It might be worth adding a strong statement saying something like 'contact me VIA THE EBAY SYSTEM if you have any questions.

Going back to the thread I think this illustrates one thing about smoking, it seems less acceptable than ever before. Just a couple of years ago a thread like this would have attracted a number of posts insisting that whilst they as a seller smoked nothing they posted ever smelt as they always had a window open (or such like). Or insisting that it would be impossible to smell anything as cigarette smoke was so light it couldn't possibly linger.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,280 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    All of my listings state that they come from a smoke-free/pet-free environment.

I've been upset in the past as a buyer when an item has turned up stinking of smoke etc when this was not mentioned in the listing.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    All of my listings state that they come from a smoke-free/pet-free environment.

I've been upset in the past as a buyer when an item has turned up stinking of smoke etc when this was not mentioned in the listing.

But why didn't you ask the seller before buying? Saying you were upset because they didn't mention something in the listing which to them was probably of no consequence is pretty unfair. I too hate the smell of smoke, so if it's an item where the smell is likely to cling, I'd either avoid or (try to!) remember to ask first.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I smoke (though in the process of quitting) and never mention it in my listings. I only smoke outside so other than clothes etc its not as if my things are festering in it. TBH i'd even be put off something that comes from a house thats smoked in.
  • mossstitchmama
    Options
    As most of my purchases and sales are craft supplies, I always state that we have a non smoking household. I do mention that we have a dog but she kept well away from the yarn.

I purchased some knitting yarn which came in a manufacturer's sealed packaging. It reeked on cigarette smoke. I had to remove it from the packaging and air it outside for nearly a week.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    af273 wrote: »
    I smoke (though in the process of quitting) and never mention it in my listings. I only smoke outside so other than clothes etc its not as if my things are festering in it.

You smoke, regardless of it being outside, your clothes, your house, the things in it all stink. It's something that smokers don't seem to accept.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You smoke, regardless of it being outside, your clothes, your house, the things in it all stink. It's something that smokers don't seem to accept.

Well not had a complaint yet! and no my house doesn't stink, my husband wouldn't be able to bear it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport