Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Brexit, the economy and house prices part 5

Options

Comments

• mayonnaise
    mayonnaise Posts: 3,690 Forumite
    Options
    Rinoa wrote: »
    Not according to Arlene Foster a few minutes ago.

And Nicola wants the same deal as NI.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/04/nicola-sturgeon-demands-scotland-gets-brexit-single-market-deal/

Popcorn time.
    Don't blame me, I voted Remain.
  • Rinoa
    Rinoa Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    Options
    mayonnaise wrote: »

Has anything Nicola demanded throughout her entire political career ever come to fruition?
    If I don't reply to your post,
    you're probably on my ignore list.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,172 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mayonnaise wrote: »
    Basically, that's NI in the single market and customs union then.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ireland-border-deal-uk-latest-updates-brexit-eu-withdrawal-dup-dublin-republic-a8090766.html

Is this what Brexiteers meant with taking control of our borders? :)

It might do Little Englanders good to think about why NI has a separate border, learn about England's often bloody and frequently quite repellent history of invasions and bullying of others, and consider that maybe being in a friendly affiliation of 28 nations, is very far from the worst thing that could have happened to it.
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    London looking the same deal too!

Although, the reason NI is getting this is due to having a land border with the EU, and no land border with the rest of the UK.

If they had a land border with the rest of the UK, it wouldn't be possible - so the deal cannot be replicated for other areas

I say the above without seeing the deal - but I assume there msut be customs checks at the Irish sea proposed for this to work.
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,132 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tammykitty wrote: »

Although, the reason NI is getting this is due to having a land border with the EU, and no land border with the rest of the UK.

If they had a land border with the rest of the UK, it wouldn't be possible - so the deal cannot be replicated for other areas

I say the above without seeing the deal - but I assume there msut be customs checks at the Irish sea proposed for this to work.

The problem is the DUP won't support it if it leaves NI with a materially different status to the rest of the UK and the hard line Brexit supporters in the Tory party won't support it if it ties all of the UK to having regulatory equivalence, even if this does go through it sounds like just kicking the can down the road a bit.
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Filo25 wrote: »
    The problem is the DUP won't support it if it leaves NI with a materially different status to the rest of the UK and the hard line Brexit supporters in the Tory party won't support it if it ties all of the UK to having regulatory equivalence, even if this does go through it sounds like just kicking the can down the road a bit.

NI already has a materially different status to the rest of the UK, after Brexit, NI citizens are still EU "citizens", by virtue of being Irish.

It has different laws in relation to abortion, same sex marriage, water rates, council tax and hundreds of other things.

I don't think the DUP will realistically walk away from the Tory deal, they may lose the battle on this one, but they will look at the bigger picture, they have more to gain by staying in the deal than walking away at this stage, they just have to find away to sell it to their supporters!
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options

So it would work for other islands like White, Anglesey Sky etc etc etc.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,132 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 December 2017 at 4:26PM
    Options
    NI already has a materially different status to the rest of the UK, after Brexit, NI citizens are still EU "citizens", by virtue of being Irish.

It has different laws in relation to abortion, same sex marriage, water rates, council tax and hundreds of other things.

I don't think the DUP will realistically walk away from the Tory deal, they may lose the battle on this one, but they will look at the bigger picture, they have more to gain by staying in the deal than walking away at this stage, they just have to find away to sell it to their supporters!

You are right that there certainly are differences between NI and rUK, but I think the issue on this though would be the perception of moving further from the UK and more towards Ireland which is pretty much the antithesis of everything the DUP stands for (or maybe I should say it is core to what they stand against, I'm always a lot clearer on what the DUP are against than what they are for!).

That's a difficult sell for them at a time when they have an effective veto over any deal, I wouldn't view the DUP as a party that compromises quickly or easily in any case!

The wording is vague enough to allow further haggling in Phase 2 assuming we get there, but the fundamental issue hasn't been addressed yet if we do proceed to Phase 2 on this basis.
  • mayonnaise
    mayonnaise Posts: 3,690 Forumite
    Options
    Although the details are still vague on this supposed deal, the Brexiteer's favourite newspaper is already going ballistic. :)
    Brexit deal LIVE: May gives into Juncker & keeps N.Ireland IN EU - Farage blasts BETRAYAL
    May BUCKLES on Brexit: N.Ireland WILL be ALIGNED with Republic - SHOCKWAVES rattle Britain
    Don't blame me, I voted Remain.
  • Eric_the_half_a_bee
    Options
    What fun!
    DUP sources said they did not believe the draft posted by RTE earlier (see 11.44am) had been agreed by the British government. They said they suspected that the leak of the draft document was designed to “bounce” May and the British negotiators into a deal over the heads of the DUP.

The DUP are also confident that they have support among the Tory back benches to oppose any move by May and the government to accept this Brexit-Irish border blueprint, the sources said.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/dec/04/theresa-may-heads-to-brussels-hoping-to-conclude-phase-one-of-brexit-talks-politics-live
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure