Refused a Santantder 123 Account

Options
Refused a Santantder 123 account because of I have only just cleared a CCJ and have notified the court that the CCJ is now satisfied. This seems most unfair to me as I have £20,000.00 to put into a account to earn a good rate of interest but am unable to yet it is legal as I have checked with a solicitor. Also tried First Direct got the same response so banks will not you earn a good rate of interest if you cleared you debts. Something should be about this?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Did you pay the CCJ within the 28 day timeframe ? What else is showing on your credit file reference this debt ? Banks can offer, or not offer, their accounts to whoever they wish.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Refused a Santantder 123 account because of I have only just cleared a CCJ and have notified the court that the CCJ is now satisfied.

How long ago did you fully repay the debt?
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • buebottle60
    Options
    I repaid the CCJ on the 24th Of August and informed the Court sent me a e.mail on the 2nd of October to say they have recorded the debt as satisfied. I went into Santander with a bank statement showing over £100,000.00 in it and proof my debt was paid and the branch was ok with that but was refused by there Credit Department matter how much I had in my bank account.When I phoned Santander to complain they said because I could borrow if I had a 123 Account even though I told the branch i would not want to.the following is the reply from a online legal service "The answer is yes. Although its marked as satisfied it will remain on your record for 6 years.
    Banks tend to be more cautious when a CCJ when a CCJ us under 12 months old.

But yes, they can do this and it is legal."
    I have phoned FCA about this and await a reply.
    I
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is no legal obligation for any bank to offer you a bank account so not sure why you are wasting FCA time on this - they don't want your custom end of story.

Not sure how you ended up with a CCJ if you had the money to pay it, unless it was some point of principal not to pay......as you have discovered, not always a wise move if that is the case.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Did you pay the CCJ within the 28 day timeframe ?
    And the answer to this question is ?
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You had a debt that you didn't repay. You're classed as a high risk, regardless of how much money you have now. Over time the risk will decrease and you may be able to open accounts.

How do the banks know that you will be sensible with your new money ? You don't have a very good track record as the CCJ confirms.
  • buebottle60
    Options
    Ok made redundant in 2008 My mother died 3 months later and went onto a bad depression was evicted in 2012 from my flat. Got myself back on track and reclaimed my flat at the end of 2012 and paid all my debts on time from then on . Sold my flat to a buy to let buyer which I now rent because I could not afford the increasing management charges asked for by the managing agents. Have invested £30,000.00 in NSI, £35,000.00 in Stocks & Shares which as of today have increased by £850.00 in 2 weeks & £20,000 in a Share ISA. I hope that is good enough for you?
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    When is the CCJ six years old?
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 October 2017 at 4:49PM
    Options
    Ok, you have fallen on hard times and came through the other side. But if you were paying your debts on time from 2012 then how come you ended up with a CCJ?

It doesn't matter if its 'good enough' for any of us here....at the end of the day its not good enough for Santander or First direct. As was said earlier as time goes on the CCJ will become less relevant
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Oh sigh, another 'don’t they know who I am?’ thread.

Solicitors and FCA indeed.:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport