Anyone used boarding passes on their phones?

Options
Abbafan1972
Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,900 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 4 October 2017 at 9:06PM in Flights, currency & car hire
Hi there,

Me and my family (4 of us) will be travelling with Jet2 from Birmingham and I will be doing the check in process online.

Last year I printed off the boarding passes - it was fine, but my printer is not great and I had so many bits of paper in my bag.

I was thinking about getting the boarding passes sent to my phone. Does everyone need to have a phone with their boarding passes on, or can I have mine and hubbys on my phone and then my daughter who has an iphone, have her own and my daughters on her phone?

I hope that make sense - could someone advise please?

Thanks in advance.
Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £41,706.18

Comments

• Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    HI there,

when I traveled with Thomas Cook, I used their app which had all 3 (mine & my children's) boarding passes on my handset.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,995 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I've used boarding passes on my phone with other airlines. I always save them into the wallet, so don't need to rely on an internet connection in the airport.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had problems with the phone flipping orientation when it was laid flat to scan but did work fine
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • michele-p
    michele-p Posts: 822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What I do is screen grab each person's boarding pass, then what's app it to each, so we all have our own offline version, makes getting through security gate scanner much easier.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    michele-p wrote: »
    What I do is screen grab each person's boarding pass, then what's app it to each, so we all have our own offline version, makes getting through security gate scanner much easier.

This.

Although it's amazing how many airlines will issue additional paper boarding passes if you're dropping off hold luggage!
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've used both options recently and have mixed feelings about using an app.

My first experience wasn't helped when the screen timed out and locked it. I also managed to display the return passes by accident. A lengthy queue quickly built up behind me in a short time.

A phone is also something else you have to have in your hand when you are already carrying small cases etc.

It's easiest if you have passes on individual phones otherwise you have to pass the phone back to the next person to use or gather around the entry gate to get each of you through security.

Personally I find a piece of paper for each person to hold is easier and it doesn't break if you drop it.

Nowadays I print off the pass but have an app version handy in case of any problems.
  • mikeeboy
    mikeeboy Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've used them quite a few times. You save having to print them off, especially if you'd need to do it while away, but it is fiddly holding the phone/passports, swiping the whole family through etc.

At the end of the day, there's nothing much easier than each person having their own piece of paper.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Used it for KLM, saved it to my phone so I didn't need to use data
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    American Airlines won't send more than one boarding pass to a phone.

As peaceful waters said, most airlines print, or even reprint, the boarding passes anyway.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    I think having multiple boarding passes on a phone becomes a right faff.
    2 on each phone as the OP suggests is a good idea.
    However I would also print then as well & give each person their paper copy.
    I think the airlines have over complicated something that was dead simple before to be honest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure