Missed flight as travel agent failed to tell me it went the day before!

Options
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could please give me some advice.

We booked a holiday with On The Beach and after arriving at the airport was told that our flight had gone 24 hours before! On the beach failed to tell us about this change they said it got overlooked.
We rang them from the airport (charged us £20 for the call!) and they said they would get us on the next flight which they did and we were very grateful. We had to wait over 3 hours for our new flight (from our original flight time).

I emailed on the beach and they’ve said we can have 10% of our holiday cost back and a 5% voucher off the next holiday we book with them!
Just wanted some expert advice before I reply.
Do you think this is a fair amount to refund?

Many thanks

Comments

• Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    10% of your holiday sounds ok, I would want the money back for the phone call too. Whilst 3 hours is a pain, its not the end of the world.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Who charged you £20 for a call?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I assume you'll be returning a day earlier as well?
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For a 3 hour delay it's a pretty decent offer IMO. Hindsight is everything of course but these kinds of situations are why it's a good idea to look up your booking online from time to time.
  • bertiewhite
    First Post
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    For a 3 hour delay it's a pretty decent offer IMO.

It's actually a 27 hour (24+3) delay though isn't it? The OP has already missed out on a day of the holiday, unless they are still returning on the original date and not 24 hours earlier.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Options
    I got the impression the OP was already back from their holiday and thought they would have mentioned if the holiday had been cut short. But perhaps that was an incorrect assumption?
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Surely you reconfirmed your booking at some point before leaving, or didn't you check it at all after you booked it? Lccs/charter airlines usually have it as part of their T&Cs, and last minute time changes show up when you check in online (unless you check in ridiculously early). If you do check in early you still need to check your bookings regularly.
  • bertiewhite
    First Post
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    I got the impression the OP was already back from their holiday and thought they would have mentioned if the holiday had been cut short. But perhaps that was an incorrect assumption?

I don't know, we need more details!

I had a problem with wrong hotel booking when I went to Marrakech a couple of years ago and sorted it all out through the internet with the holiday company whilst I was still there.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,548 Forumite
    Options
    how long ago had the flight changed? when did you last check the booking?
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    How much is 10% of the holiday?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills