Birthday celebrations - paying for own meal

Options
14567810»

Comments

• lillie421
    Options
    The present bit is quite rude of her. If she is your friend, she should be fine with you just letting her know that you can't afford it. The price of the meal will be so expensive because you are in a private room and being waited on. I don't blame you for not wanting to pay so much for something so basic. Good luck :)
  • Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don’t really understand friends who do this. I always feel so incredibly lucky to have the friends I have when I read threads like this.

I have 4 best friends. On one of our birthdays we always pick somewhere everyone can afford. Caveat being the birthday girl never pays for her meal. But we all do that and we take that in to account when picking somewhere.

Fact is I’d rather spend my 40th in a Wetherspoons with my best friends then in a fancy hotel without them. For me it’s about who you’re with not where you are. And I’m thankfully my friends feel the same.

I do have to admit though I always ask friends what they want as a present so her saying what she wanted would be absolutely fine with me as I know I’m putting money towards something she wants.

If you can’t afford it then be honest. If she’s a real friend she will understand.
    Sigless
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Would be funny if it turned out she had actually said fourteen pounds not forty! :rotfl:
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport