Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Options

Comments

• N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    LOUDARRELL wrote: »
    I have flights booked and am trying to get proof of dates for my credit card. They are on my monarch account and I can not log into to get proof. Is there anyway I can get this as only have a booking reference. I have barclaycard visa receipt but no proof of dates f flights

When Low Cost went under the administrators reopened part of the old web page so people could print of their documents.

Anyone at MSE able to get in touch with KPMG to see if they are able to do this for people who have no copies of their documents?
  • james_lawless
    Options
    I'd booked an outbound flight to Zagreb, an inbound flight from Dubrovnik and checked luggage via a combination of debit card and PayPal payments. I've filed a chargeback request via my bank (Co-operative) and dispute processes with Paypal. Last night I received a refund of one Paypal payment so I'm optimistic that I'll receive the other. As for chargeback, I'm not sure how well that will go, I guess time will tell.

As for any additional expenditure, it's costing me the best part of £400 for new flights with BA and I've got the frustrating logistical problem of flying out from Heathrow and back to Gatwick. I know none of this will be covered by my travel insurance which is more than a little annoying!
  • Follie
    Follie Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks @bagand96 - I had read that guide but it didn't specifically cover the question of whether consequential loss might be covered. I get that it's not law that they have to provide this protection, but since they offer it, isn't it part of the contract with Visa if you've made your transaction using visa in reliance on it? I think there are Chargeback Scheme Rules that cover it if your bank participates, but I can't find them - or at least I found a 1000 page document that might be them but I haven't read it all.

I fear you are right about my options though - but without being sure it's hard to decide what's best. Booking an alternative flight home is cheaper than cancelling and booking a new holiday, but is obviously extra money to shell out (£140 x 4 for for the excess), whereas if I cancelled and stayed at home I'd get some money back but no holiday. I think if I was 100% confident that insureandgo would pay the difference I'd swallow the excess and book new flights but they're over £1000 for four of us now and I can't really afford to gamble. I''m worried if I wait too long they will sell out altogether though.
  • Follie
    Follie Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    PS we fly out on 22 Oct, returning 30 Oct, from Croatia.
  • Davidnotmark
    Options
    Any update from lastminute.com? I received an email early last week saying I'd have to write directly to kpmg if I wanted a refund, but then through facebook chat on Thursday they said their FAQ's had been updated where it stated that they would try and seek to get a refund for all customers within 60 days - does this apply for ALL customers? They always seem engaged when I call now and have even stopped responding to facebook chat
  • Guineapoi8
    Options
    Has anyone had any success claiming from PayPal? I paid for flights via PayPal in March, and although PayPal has posted some advice, it won't let me open a dispute as it's been more than 180 days since booking. MSE says this deadline has been waived, but this doesn't seem to have taken effect. My bank won't protect me as they say I have paid PayPal, not Monarch and chargeback isn't applicable as payment came from my bank account rather than my debit or credit card. Frustrating
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,111 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Follie wrote:
    Thanks @bagand96 - I had read that guide but it didn't specifically cover the question of whether consequential loss might be covered. I get that it's not law that they have to provide this protection, but since they offer it, isn't it part of the contract with Visa if you've made your transaction using visa in reliance on it? I think there are Chargeback Scheme Rules that cover it if your bank participates, but I can't find them - or at least I found a 1000 page document that might be them but I haven't read it all.

There isn't any consequential loss cover through Chargeback. It is something banks issuing Visa/Mastercard/Amex have to sign up to as part of the agreement, but it is only reversing a charge. There's no consequential loss.

As you say, speak to insureandgo and clarify exactly what they will and won't pay for - or look in the Policy Wording.
    Guineapoi8 wrote:
    Has anyone had any success claiming from PayPal? I paid for flights via PayPal in March, and although PayPal has posted some advice, it won't let me open a dispute as it's been more than 180 days since booking. MSE says this deadline has been waived, but this doesn't seem to have taken effect. My bank won't protect me as they say I have paid PayPal, not Monarch and chargeback isn't applicable as payment came from my bank account rather than my debit or credit card. Frustrating

Have you actually spoke to Paypal? Their website is automated so won't let you raise a claim after 180 days, so you need to speak to them. Apparently their phone lines are heavily automated - people have reported saying "Speak to an Agent" will get you through quicker.
  • utigers
    utigers Posts: 221 Forumite
    Options
    Yes interesting regarding chargeback and consequential losses. I've got easyJet one way and monarch back but put a claim in for it all as it was one payment and I cannot now fulfill my trip. Last-minute cannot even tell me the cost of each flight anyway!

I've got £60pp excess on my insurance so chargeback will probably work out best.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,111 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes interesting regarding chargeback and consequential losses. I've got easyJet one way and monarch back but put a claim in for it all as it was one payment and I cannot now fulfill my trip. Last-minute cannot even tell me the cost of each flight anyway!

I've got £60pp excess on my insurance so chargeback will probably work out best.

If you’ve booked with LastMinute.com then neither a chargeback or Section 75 would be successful as it’s not LastMinute that are in administration. They are still trading. You need to get a refund or alternative arrangements from them.
  • GGardner
    GGardner Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Following - this is my exact situation too. I've raised another complaint to PayPal as I can't raise a dispute, but they haven't responded yet. I'm going to try calling tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure