Sky increased bill without notice

2»

Comments

• Josh107
    Josh107 Posts: 12
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 25 December 2018 at 3:09PM
    Hi, I began a 12 month discount package, which I found through this site in Dec 2016 for £18.99 a month inc.
    After 12 months no change in the bill took place, so I carried on; No letters came or calls to say a new 12month contract began last yr; it remained £18.99 until October 14 this year. It/ the DD then jumped to £30 without any notice.

I made a complaint and was promised a full reply in 48 hrs. Surprise! 6 days later I got a reply, not even bothering to answer my question, and telling me my 12 months was up and it was £30 from Oct! How can a 12 months contract last 22 months? I asked to see the said 12 month contract and was ignored. Where is - certainly not disclosed in my online acc. I am disgusted with this shoddy companies lack of transparency.

I escalated the complaint straight way - that was a wk ago on Friday. Last weekend I switched to Plusnet and cancelled my £30 Sky DD.

What are my rights to cancel - it should have paid the second of the new £30 payments today? Wondering if Sky will pull the plug on my phone before it goes over to Plusnet. Any one with similar problems?
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,021
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 15 November 2018 at 9:30AM
    Josh107 wrote: »
    Hi, I began a discount package, which I found through this site in Dec 2016 for £8.99 a month inc.
    After 12 months no change in the bill took place, so I carried on; No letters came or calls to say a new 12month contract began; it remained £18.99 until October 14 this year. It/ the DD then jumped to £30 without any notice.

I made a complaint and was promised a full reply in 48 hrs. Surprise! 6 days later I got a reply, not even bothering to answer my question, and telling me my 12 months was up and it was £30 from Oct! How can a 12 months contract last 22 months? I asked to see the said 12 month contract and was ignored. Where is - certainly not disclosed in my online acc. I am disgusted with this shoddy companies lack of transparency.

I escalated the complaint straight way - that was a wk ago on Friday. Last weekend I switched to Plusnet and cancelled my £30 Sky DD.

What are my rights to cancel - it should have paid the second of the new £30 payments today? Wondering if Sky will pull the plug on my phone before it goes over to Plusnet. Any one with similar problems?

It's unlikely that Sky ever offered a 'deal' that didn't have a date at which the discount ended, perhaps the deal was for 18 months and on month 19 the price goes up to a normal price....if the deal you took had a minimum term of the same length as the discount period , then you are not out of contract but outside of the minimum term so you can move, or negotiate, if the minimum term was for example 24 months ,but the discount for only 18 then you may still be inside a minimum term.....you need to verify what you actually signed up to,

it may have been better to start a new topic rather than resurrection this old one, and this post is in the TV section, but you mention Plusnet, so presumably phone and broadband ( as well as TV ) are involved, so the phone/broadband section may have been more appropriate
  • Josh107 wrote: »
    Hi, I began a discount package, which I found through this site in Dec 2016 for £8.99 a month inc.
    After 12 months no change in the bill took place, so I carried on; No letters came or calls to say a new 12month contract began; it remained £18.99 until October 14 this year. It/ the DD then jumped to £30 without any notice.

So you got 22 months at a cheaper price instead of 12 and you are complaining?
    Josh107 wrote: »
    If you are outside your introductory period then you can cancel and move no problem.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • So you got 22 months at a cheaper price instead of 12 and you are complaining?

If you are outside your introductory period then you can cancel and move no problem.

They claim to have already started a switch to Plusnet and have just cancelled the DD for Sky BB. I suspect it won't be quite so simple for them.
  • Josh107
    Josh107 Posts: 12
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sky dragged their feet and Plusnet began asking me do you still want to cahnge; 4 weeks later it went through.
    Sky do not even offer back my surplus DD money they kept, or even offer me info about their complaint system, when I ask.... avoid sky....trash customer service
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Keep checking your credit file. You don't mention giving Sky notice, you don't want to end up with a trashed credit record.
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    As I am currently finding there is very little sport on Freeview besides the standard offerings on BbpBC and ITV.
  • paddytt
    paddytt Posts: 298
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    JDW1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the confirmation. I think we will be better of going the Freesat route
    We do record quite a lot of programmes and as far as I know that facility is lost when Sky ends.

Not necessarily - we record just like Sky+ but for free using a Humax 1100s box on Freesat. You can get them for around £100 on ebay or £200 new. We switched and would never go back to Sky.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure