Atrixa's Saving Diaries

Options

Comments

• atrixa
    atrixa Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks MF! I've got a few hundred quid in an emergency fund at the moment, but ideally I want 6 months of expenses saved.
    Well said, SW! Luckily my boyfriend lives in the area I'm looking at so I've got a good idea of which streets to avoid. I've made a point of jogging around most of the streets when I'm out for a run to check if there's flytipping or smashed windows etc. I think this weekend I'll persuade him to pop out with me at 9/10pm to see if it's noisy or anti-social in any way. 
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    That's enough to tide you over. We all want 6 months, not many of us have that when moving 🙈 I had 2 months mortgage payment, but spent one month of it on the garden in the first month lol.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • spiritus
    spiritus Posts: 684 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Atrixa, have you tried matched betting? It can help you boost your income quite a bit. It isn't actually gambling as you are not risking your money-you simply take advantage of the new member offers that bookmakers provide. Google will explain it better than me
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Great news atrixa. Well done on your savings & emergency fund. Are you & your boyfriend buying together? It’s good that he knows the area & will know where is desirable & where to avoid! 
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • atrixa
    Options
    I've not heard of matched betting, spiritus. I'll have a google this weekend.
    Thanks, Skint :) Just me buying. I viewed my first property today. It was my favourite out of the ones I viewed online and it didn't disappoint. I've got another viewing on Sunday (which was my second favourite) so hopefully I'll able to make an offer on Monday for the one I like best.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    There is a section dedicated to MB on MSE, the only thing I would say is keep a separate bank account for it, just to be on the safe side.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't do it, always scared I will end up addicted and lose what I have!!! lol. Good luck with house viewings it is so exciting. Kate Kaden on you tube has just bought her first house and she is so inspiring to watch. Enjoy the process. 
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • atrixa
    Options
    Good call, SW. I could easily get lost in a load of house buying vlogs on youtube.
  • atrixa
    Options
    I HAD AN OFFER ACCEPTED ON A HOUSE! Oh my goodness, I'm so shocked this happened so quickly. The one I viewed on Sunday had way more useable downstairs space than the first one I viewed, and the street is nice and quiet so I went for it this morning. I went a bit under asking, and it was accepted within half an hour. I'm in the process of getting the mortgage sorted and my advisor has been great so far. The one she's found is a five year fix with a 15 year term, only a bit over my current monthly rent. The idea of being mortgage and rent free in only 15 years is very exciting. I didn't realise that some lenders also give you cashback?! Buying a house so far hasn't been as expensive as I thought, so maybe this is a portent that the house will be a money-pit! XD
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Atrixa fantastic news, hopefully the house will be an excellent home for you and not a money pit as things are on the up!
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure