New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

The quit smoking fund

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in How much have you saved?
6 replies 3.7K views
DestabilisingDestabilising Forumite
46 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in How much have you saved?
As of today, I have quit smoking; to put it bluntly, paying £12 for a 30g pouch of rolling tobacco is just absolutely ridiculous and I don't know why I keep doing it. Addiction to be honest. So, here we go, I'm going to keep track here of how much I'm saving from not smoking. On average, I'd go to the shop and spend £12 every five days, so I expect every five days or so, or whenever I find five minutes, I'll update this!

Replies

• Former_MSE_AndreaFormer_MSE_Andrea Former MSE
    9.6K posts
    I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler Savvy Shopper! Stoptober Survivor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Perfect timing!

Stoptober is helping out on the Forum this year :)

Stoptober Q&A
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: [email protected]
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    268 posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I hope it goes well! That's saving you what, about £75 a month? There's plenty to be done with that :)
  • Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done for giving up smoking Destabilising. When I gave up there was not as many patches/gum products on the market and it was hard not to have sweets instead and put on weight. I wish you good luck and as they say, it can only improve your health :)
    0% credit card £1360 ~ paid in full
    0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
    Emergency fund £1000 / £1000
  • As of today, I have quit smoking; to put it bluntly, paying £12 for a 30g pouch of rolling tobacco is just absolutely ridiculous and I don't know why I keep doing it. Addiction to be honest. So, here we go, I'm going to keep track here of how much I'm saving from not smoking. On average, I'd go to the shop and spend £12 every five days, so I expect every five days or so, or whenever I find five minutes, I'll update this!

Good luck! I'm going to try, no stop, smoking on Sunday. I've tried more times than I can remember. But I hate it. Everything about it. But still do it 😕🙄
  • Going colo turkey is great if you can do it but if you feel the urge to go back to smoking try vaping instead. Vaping cost me about £1 per day and have been cutting down on the nicotine strength and now on zero so fingers crossed I will stop altogether.
  • ziggystziggyst Forumite
    2 posts
    Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I hope you do succeed and its hard. I'd tried a couple of time with patches & gum then someone introduced me to vaping and I haven't looked back. Down to 3mg nicotine but look at what i have saved. (from my online log) I had been smoking for 40 years and I can honestly say I couldn't smoke a cigarette now. I feel so much healthier and fitter (plus don't smell :embarasse )
    I'VE BEEN SMOKE FREE FOR
    820 Days
    16 Hours : 28 Minutes : 14 Seconds
    Cost of smoking 9 packs per week
    £63.45

Average cost of vaping per week
    £10.24
    Money saved on smoking
    £7,438.93

Money spent on vaping
    £1,200.00

Money saved
    £6,238.93

Cigarettes avoided
    The money saved has been spent on a couple of holidays & some wanted furniture. Quite scary how much just one person can spend
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support