Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• 24ta
    24ta Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My dad said he says sometimes says to salesmen "Come in because I'd like to talk to you about Jesus." and they run a mile :rotfl:. He is very religious so he'd do it too![/QUOTE]

I love this :)

Sorry can't work out how to quote!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    jwil wrote: »
    Funnily enough just after I posted on here, my doorbell went again. It was a foreign chap who looked completely out of it, asking for a glass of water. I told him no and shut the door on him. I felt very guilty, but it got me very paranoid. I watched where he went after, and he walked into my next door neighbours garden, then changed his mind, got in a van and drove away! We don't live somewhere where you 'just pass by', so it all looks a bit iffy to me.

My sign is the one from this site, it says we don't buy anything, we don't want information either, and no charities or religious groups. It should cover every eventuality, so makes me even more cross when they ignore it!

I understand why the event you described set alarm bells ringing. We live 'out of the way' too, it's not somewhere anyone would just walk past without going to a lot of effort. I always worry they are casing the joint, there's so much rural crime nowadays:mad:

I get really cross even when 'genuine' cold callers (with official ID) come and knock on the French doors of the room at the back that I spend a lot of time in. Unlike the front and back doors there isn't a 'no cold callers' sign on that one as it shouldn't be on anyone's route round the house. They walk past both of the 'signed' doors and carry on round the back to 'my' door, see me sitting there and knock or wait for me to get up and see what they want:eek:. When I ask them why they didn't take notice of the signs (OH is much ruder and asks them if they can read:rotfl:) they usually say they thought it was a separate dwelling with having 3 doors.

I feel uneasy that they've been snooping round the private bit of the house at the back well away from anyone's vision:eek:
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 October 2018 at 1:12PM
    Options
    My worst cold caller was for house repairs just when I'd gone self employed. I explained that with no guaranteed income, I couldn't commit to anything so they offered me credit at extortionate rates

Incredible!
    Nicnak wrote: »
    The car crash cold calls are frustrating. My ex used to handle them perfectly.
    Saying things like 'do you think I could claim?' "even though I'm on bail for it?'
    It got his number taken off most of the calling pages pretty quickly.

I find it intimidating being on my own now. I sometimes get asked if my parents are in. I just say no, and close the door!

What your ex used to say is hilarious :rotfl:. Have you got a spyhole? I don't, but sometimes I look out of the window and if it's a stranger I don't answer the door.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    24ta wrote: »
    My dad said he says sometimes says to salesmen "Come in because I'd like to talk to you about Jesus." and they run a mile :rotfl:. He is very religious so he'd do it too!

I love this :)

Sorry can't work out how to quote![/QUOTE]

:). You press the button that says "Quote" under the post.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I understand why the event you described set alarm bells ringing. We live 'out of the way' too, it's not somewhere anyone would just walk past without going to a lot of effort. I always worry they are casing the joint, there's so much rural crime nowadays:mad:

I get really cross even when 'genuine' cold callers (with official ID) come and knock on the French doors of the room at the back that I spend a lot of time in. Unlike the front and back doors there isn't a 'no cold callers' sign on that one as it shouldn't be on anyone's route round the house. They walk past both of the 'signed' doors and carry on round the back to 'my' door, see me sitting there and knock or wait for me to get up and see what they want:eek:. When I ask them why they didn't take notice of the signs (OH is much ruder and asks them if they can read:rotfl:) they usually say they thought it was a separate dwelling with having 3 doors.

I feel uneasy that they've been snooping round the private bit of the house at the back well away from anyone's vision:eek:

I'm with OH, it's definitely a time when rudeness is called for! Cheeky so and sos! I wouldn't get up Carboot, I'd just gesture them to go away. I think you need a sign for your French doors too for these salesmen, who are definitely taking the micky!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 19 October 2018 at 1:26PM
    Options
    I'm with OH, it's definitely a time when rudeness is called for! Cheeky so and sos! I wouldn't get up Carboot, I'd just gesture them to go away. I think you need a sign for your French doors too for these salesmen, who are definitely taking the micky!

I can't really just gesture them away though as it might be someone OH knows and has asked to pop round. He's started getting men in to do occasional big jobs in the garden like lopping trees and cutting high hedges sometimes. It might be one of them.

I should get a sign for that door too, HH, but it's largely glass with no woodwork wide enough to stick it on. The other doors are mostly wooden and our signs are really big and obvious because we thought there would be no chance of anyone missing seeing them:rotfl:. They were specially-made laminated signs for outdoor use, they are attached to the outside of the doors at eye-level. Not particularly attractive but needs must. I don't really want to stick one to cover one of the panes of glass on the French doors. I could get OH to make a smaller sign, he's pretty handy that way:T.. I suppose I could just prop one up inside on one of the wooden cross-pieces and take it down whenever it's not needed.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 October 2018 at 1:32PM
    Options
    Yes you could get DH to make a smaller sign. Then you could point to it with an angry face and shake your head disapprovingly :).

I have a small sticker that I got from trading standards, that sticks to the inside of the window next to the front door. It's bright yellow with big black letters so it's very noticeable when you come up our path.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Or you could invest in a cannon?? :rotfl:
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Or you could invest in a cannon?? :rotfl:

Water cannon or mediaeval castle type of cannon? :rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 19 October 2018 at 3:44PM
    Options
    Yes you could get DH to make a smaller sign. Then you could point to it with an angry face and shake your head disapprovingly :).

I have a small sticker that I got from trading standards, that sticks to the inside of the window next to the front door. It's bright yellow with big black letters so it's very noticeable when you come up our path.

Just had a brainwave, a rare event:rotfl:

Somewhere in the depths of one of the sheds is a huge enamel sign that OH picked up somewhere. Don't ask me why he got it, probably was being thrown out, he wouldn't have bought it. If I remember correctly it has very obvious black lettering and a skull and crossbones:eek:. It says something like 'strictly no admittance beyond this point'. I think it may also say 'danger'. That should give a loud and clear message that even the thickest skinned of these people can understand. Even foreigners with poor English should understand a skull and crossbones:rotfl:

If we could find somewhere to put it to stop people at least coming round the back it would be brilliant:j. I don't find it too intrusive if they come to the front door as we have a spyhole and I don't always answer if I don't recognise the caller. These nuisance callers hardly ever seem to use the front door though, they prefer to come snooping round the back. The last ones were a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses (that I sussed out as soon as I saw them through the spyhole) a few months ago and a man selling poppies last November. I just feel awkward if cold callers see me inside through windows at the back or the French door and not responding. They just knock or ring louder, probably think I'm some deaf old biddy. Now all I need to do is persuade OH to find the sign. Not today though, he's unbearably grumpy and snappy:(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback