🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    A very slight thaw seems to have started here after yet more snow overnight. Wasn't as heavy as before though and very little wind so no drifting off the surrounding fields this time:j. Our hamlet has been virtually cut off for 3 days because of mega drifts blocking the narrow lanes. Probably traffic flowing freely on the main road but the 3+ miles to get to that stage were hopeless. We had plenty of food and milk in so decided there was no earthly reason to even risk it. A local farmer has been past a few times this week with animal feed for one of his outlying fields but other than that nothing except a solitary 4x4 yesterday.

OH has used most of our stored apple stocks and half a sack of wild bird food feeding the birds this week. I think they know we're a soft touch, part of the garden is full of all sorts of birds that I've never noticed before:rotfl:

I hope you are coping with the conditions, HH. At least the extra couple of days being able to stay indoors before collecting DS will have aided your recovery. Looks as if your area is experiencing floods too now:eek:. I saw some scenes in Dawlish earlier, the railway line there is flooded because of high spring tides so all trains are cancelled. I expect floods will be widespread all over UK once all this snow starts melting:eek:

Have a good weekend, everyone. Stay warm and safe:coffee:
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,719 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We are south east cornwall and it is thawing. My daughter is in Bristol and she says the main roads are not too bad. I think Exeter is still in the grips of the snow though and presumably Manchester is so not surprised nothing flying in. Hope Virgin authorises a second night in a hotel. I guess he will have to claim on travel insurance otherwise.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Nicnak wrote: »
    Morning,

How are you? Are you going to be able to venture out today?
    Trains in some parts of Manchester are ok, but others are suspended due to the snow. Central Manchester is running slow, but still running. x
    Sorry to hear DS2 is still,stuck up North . The trains your way still have problems , he is probably better staying here till tomorrow. You have my details if you need any help.

Don't worry !
    jwil wrote: »
    Sorry he's still stuck. Surely they've got to provide some help? It's melting here thankfully :)

Thank you all :)
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 March 2018 at 3:52PM
    Options
    A very slight thaw seems to have started here after yet more snow overnight. Wasn't as heavy as before though and very little wind so no drifting off the surrounding fields this time:j. Our hamlet has been virtually cut off for 3 days because of mega drifts blocking the narrow lanes. Probably traffic flowing freely on the main road but the 3+ miles to get to that stage were hopeless. We had plenty of food and milk in so decided there was no earthly reason to even risk it. A local farmer has been past a few times this week with animal feed for one of his outlying fields but other than that nothing except a solitary 4x4 yesterday.

OH has used most of our stored apple stocks and half a sack of wild bird food feeding the birds this week. I think they know we're a soft touch, part of the garden is full of all sorts of birds that I've never noticed before:rotfl:

I hope you are coping with the conditions, HH. At least the extra couple of days being able to stay indoors before collecting DS will have aided your recovery. Looks as if your area is experiencing floods too now:eek:. I saw some scenes in Dawlish earlier, the railway line there is flooded because of high spring tides so all trains are cancelled. I expect floods will be widespread all over UK once all this snow starts melting:eek:

Have a good weekend, everyone. Stay warm and safe:coffee:

I hope your snow melts soon Carboot and I'm glad you have enough food :).
    We are south east cornwall and it is thawing. My daughter is in Bristol and she says the main roads are not too bad. I think Exeter is still in the grips of the snow though and presumably Manchester is so not surprised nothing flying in. Hope Virgin authorises a second night in a hotel. I guess he will have to claim on travel insurance otherwise.

Thanks ES :). There's not much ice here, but Exeter way seems worse. I think it will be ok by tomorrow.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hope DS sorts something.

It really isn't that bad here now. There's lots of free things to look at in Manchester. I love the museums and things (might not be his type of thing though)

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Good news, DS2 has been sent back to the same hotel for tonight :T. The bad news is he couldn't access his room until 2.00pm, so had to hang around the lobby all morning :(.

His flight is rebooked for tomorrow morning and I'm sure the roads to Exeter will be clear by then :).

I went for a short outing today, my first one for three weeks :T. I went to three shops briefly and had a Costalot latte. DH and DS1 came too so I didn't have to wait at a cold bus stop.

I walked at half my normal speed and felt shattered towards the end. But I did it :T. I felt like I was on day release from prison :rotfl:.

I hope everyone's snow is melting and you're all having a good Saturday :).
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Hope DS sorts something.

It really isn't that bad here now. There's lots of free things to look at in Manchester. I love the museums and things (might not be his type of thing though)

x

Thanks Wannabe :). I think he's decided to chill in his hotel room as he's very tired. I bet he'll sleep for two days when he gets home!
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,608 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    At least you got a reprieve from the journey out in the snow. Great customer service from Virgin. Snow is thawing here, quite a lot warmer today thank goodness.
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,780 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad that you got out :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    At least you got a reprieve from the journey out in the snow. Great customer service from Virgin. Snow is thawing here, quite a lot warmer today thank goodness.

Thanks SA :). I think travelling this morning could have been a bit dodgy :eek:. It should be fine tomorrow. I'm glad you're snow is thawing.
    beanielou wrote: »
    Glad that you got out :j :j

Me too Beanie :). I think it did me good.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport