Pay working as a Takeaway driver?

Options
Hello all, newbie here so apologies in advance if I have posted in the wrong section. I am looking for some advice.

I recently began University and have started a job in the evening, working as a delivery driver for an Indian takeaway, ( seemed to make sense when budgeting for food bills) but I feel that they are taking advantage of my nature as I always try to please and never say no..

It's only for 3 nights at the weekend, most of which I drive 30 plus miles per night, so over 90 miles over the 3 shifts, 4.30pm to 10.30pm, but I only get paid £25 per evening and the owner keeps all of the delivery charge money. I don't feel that this can be right. On top of this, I have had to upgrade my policy to business class 2 insurance for this job which has raised my premium quite a bit.

Is the practise of the owner keeping the delivery money, £1.50 per delivery, (and any tips) normal or am I being taking advantage of?

I have to use £30 of my wage on petrol alone so am not really making much I just want to try and stand on my own feet and not rely on my parents too much.

My boyfriend has told me that his friend back home done this kind of work for a Chinese takeaway last year, but he was paid something like £20 per shift, plus £1.00 for every delivery that he made.

Does anyone have any experience or advice for me on something like this? Should I try to find another job?

Kindest regards
Sarah

Comments

• nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    6 hours at £25 = under minimum wage.

I'd ask my union to intervene.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your boyfriends friend's experience is how it is usually done. They're having you for a mug. Go find another job, never ever work for less than minimum wage AFTER expenses.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This type of job does take the pee - they will usually exploit people like you ,

About 10 years ago I worked with a chap who did it as a 2nd/evening job, he had a wife/2 kids. His deal was: No pay, but he keeps the delivery charges and he could take home a family takeaway meal each shift.

On a quiet night he might sit around for 3-4 hours and only do 2 deliveries.

Find another firm, these people are operating/paying you illegal amounts.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you say keeping the tips???

How about you have a friendly chap. If he still feels the same then you leave then lets see how he gets on with the next driver.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    Did you say keeping the tips???

How about you have a friendly chap. If he still feels the same then you leave then lets see how he gets on with the next driver.
    The same as this one I guess....he is hardly going to have gone from a good employer to a bad on in one change of driver
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    nicechap wrote: »
    6 hours at £25 = under minimum wage.

I'd ask my union to intervene.

Would you be in a union when you're a takeaway driver?
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 September 2017 at 12:38PM
    Options
    The same as this one I guess....he is Hardly going to have gone from a good employer to a bad on in one change of driver

If you are doing a good job and you have a frank chat with the boss. He may realise he has been rumbled and play fair. He may be taking advantage as she is a lady.

30 miles of fuel plus extra insurance and 6 hours work for £25. Hardly seems worth it, I doubt its hard to beat. If the boss wont reconsidered then I meant let the next mug do it........that's if he can find one. If he can then that's that. If not then he is going to come around soon!

Ohhh and if I got my tips in cash............he would be getting none.
  • unforeseen
    Options
    Did you just ask for business class 2 or actually tell them you are a takeaway driver. A lot of insurers won't cover delivery driving
  • SAROONAFADUL
    Options
    Well, I guess you should find another firm.
  • xapprenticex
    Options
    try and get a supermarket job
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills