'Feedback' on manager when leaving

Options

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The exit interview is the place to raise these concerns. You can even say that you didn't raise them earlier because you were worried that you would become the next target. Beyond that I would leave it. If it gets taken up by the person conducting the exit interview it's good news, but you have really done all you can by that point. Contacting the CEO is more likely to come across as sh** stirring now you've left.
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 September 2017 at 7:16PM
    Options
    I'll just leave this here...

8c4cbb40754b0135e986005056a9545d
  • Planet_Switzerland
    Options
    When started out, I took a job which sounded like the best thing since sliced bread when the recruitment agency told me about it. It didn't take long into the job to realise the agency told me a pack of lies to make me interested as he knew I stood a great chance of getting it.

Needless to say I was unhappy and looking for a new job pretty much the whole time I was there. Every day I'd drive home thinking about how I would tell them what I think in my exit interview.

When the time finally came I was actually complimentary about them as there seemed no point in burning bridges. I did however say I felt a bit conned into the job by the recruitment agency and told the HR manager how he described the job and she agreed the job wasn't like that at all.

A few years later LinkedIn happened and I connected with that HR manager. She had made one recommendation on LinkedIn, that particular recruitment consultant.

I guess at the end of the day, if an employer doesn't address any issues you have when you are working there they certainly won't once you've left.
  • zugzwang
    zugzwang Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yeah dont email the CEO. You have nothing to gain, you will just sound bitter. In most managers view, probably the worst sort of employee is a whinger. Im not saying you are, Im just saying avoid appearing that way. Team players do as the team leader says. If you send this 'high impact' email, theyll just think how glad they are you are gone.

If you want to be listened to, you have to behave professionally and make constructive suggestions. Isnt it always so?

You say 2 managers are "rude, aggressive and unfair". Just saying this isnt constructive. Let management come to their own conclusions using your examples. If a conclusion is the manager is useless, then thats something senior management will decide, but that's beyond your control.

If you want to give examples of things that couldve been done better, only talk about your experience. They'll think its not for you to bring up what happened to others.

Use STAR if it helps. Situation, Task, Action and Result.

So describe the Situation and Task. What were you and the manager trying to achieve. What were you and your managers actions. What was result. Then come up with what could be done better.

But being unfair is sometimes a managers job. And whether or not someone is rude or aggressive is usually a matter of opinion, unless you have extreme examples.

So my advice to stay positive and look to your new job.In my experience, its the people who suck it up and keep smiling that get on in business.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had a job with 3 managers one of whom I never met at interview. She was on honeymoon when I first joined. On her first day back in the office she walked past my desk without acknowledging me on her way in, despite the fact she knew I was the new Coordinator. I gave her 15 minutes and went into her office and introduced myself. She turned out to be the sort of manager who would leave whatever she wanted me to do until the last minute, then dump a load of work on me with an unrealistic deadline. I found out from people in the neighbouring department that she was well known for doing this and the previous job holder left because of it. I was still in touch with my previous manager in a temp job I had left. When they lost their temp my old manager jokingly offered me my old job back, I snatched his hand off as I'd had enough by this point.

Knowing I would not need a reference from this I banged the door on the way out and told HR in my exit interview what I thought of this particular manager's style. My replacement in this job kept in touch with me, a few months down the line he left for the same reason.

I only hope that the message got across eventually why they kept losing capable staff.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I can see how I could potentially come across as bitter but I'd also feel I'm wasting the chance to highlight the terrible way these 2 managers behave. Seems selfish when I am able to bring it to the CEO attention without reprisals where as my colleagues who are still there too scared to say anything. Feel like I'd be letting them down.
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I can see how I could potentially come across as bitter but I'd also feel I'm wasting the chance to highlight the terrible way these 2 managers behave. Seems selfish when I am able to bring it to the CEO attention without reprisals where as my colleagues who are still there too scared to say anything. Feel like I'd be letting them down.

I would be more concerned about the possibility of you becoming a martyr.... Compromising your future employment for the sake of colleagues who are simply happy in picking up their paycheque whilst looking for alternative employment.

I admire your passion towards helping colleagues, but the truth of the matter is that the ONLY help they need is to either put up and shut up OR find a new job. If you can't appreciate that point then sadly you will come across as a bit bitter...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You are an intelligent lass - you are not saving anybody for they too can make the choice to job hunt themselves.

Ask yourself in x number of years, how you would feel if further down the line, when the problems no longer exist (but you aren't there to ever benefit from it) and you get to hear that basically anything you ever went through at xyz has completely changed and turned on it's head? For the better so much so, you're experience is totally unbelievable where the company has changed so much.? But there is no going back for you, it's over, with a decision you decided to take.

I remember one company worked at you'd never have a hot drink, when having a kettle was going overboard (just as non personable example rather then the dark stuff) amongst other things, they were mercenary back in the day; but now as 'an employer of choice' things have changed alright - I dread to tell you what's in the building now to serve everyone, it would never have been believed years ago. Ironic! It took just over 12 months for me to be able to put over that award winning fake smile in the interviews that working at the company was 'passable'. As it wasn't a case of wiping from the CV. I'm only thankful I didn't get any more involved in mud slinging and in the end bowed out probably as quietly as I could have done, let alone anyone asking me to drop myself completely in it, ....4 years later when they could become an easy informal reference target.

Words can't be taken back. How many people did I keep in touch with from this place? ooooh! 1 (the first to leave under their own will funnily enough)
  • foolofbeans
    Options
    I'm in a similar position as OP and I completely understand the desire to inform upper management about the behaviour of lower management. I also have the dilemma that I don't want to burn bridges but I do feel that the organisation should know about issues or they could end up with a constant turnover of staff (which is already happening).
    I am also thinking about what I will say to my manager when I leave as I think they should know so they could maybe modify their behaviour and expectations but then I doubt they would even care what the minions think of them.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    Options
    On reflection I' m fairly sure nobody would highlight the issues for my benefit if the tables were turned! Today I feel totally deflated after more nonsense this morning. I really don't have the energy to feedback anything. Huh. I think part of the trouble is the personality of a couple of the managers. Realistically they don't see they are doing anything wrong. I swear one is a psychopath. I don't mean that in derogatory terms. I mean it literally. Thanks everyone for the different viewpoints.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure