'Feedback' on manager when leaving

Options

Comments

• Fireflyaway
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    The time to challenge behaviour is er, at the time, however I realise not all individuals would do this.

I agree in principle but standing up to this manager would have either cost me my job ( very manipulative person ) or ensured that my working life was made as uncomfortable as possible.
    My appraisal of myself is I admit I'm not brave enough to say anything at the time due to not wanting to be bullied but I'm OK with saying it now I'm leaving. Maybe that makes me a coward but that compared to doing nothing seems the best option.
  • BorisThomson
    Options
    Do you think the CEO really cares what you think? More than likely they'll see you as someone having a flounce as you leave.

Don't burn bridges. If the next job does not work out you'll be needing another reference from these people, and possibly for several years to come. The only person that will come out badly from this is you.
  • ruperts
    ruperts Posts: 3,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why not use the exit interview for its intended purpose and give your feedback there? If the CEO wanted to hear from you personally he'd do the exit interview himself.
  • Fireflyaway
    Options
    The person planned to do the exit interview probably won't do anything with the info. Someone at work did suggest I ask the CEO to do my exit interview. I think he would care if he knew the team were being bullied and subject to unfair treatment. I know there is a chance it could come across as me moaning because nobody has had the courage to speak out yet.
  • xapprenticex
    Options
    Got your reference yet? And if you get ANOTHER job and they want your last two places......

Just move on
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It's a small world. These managers may rock up at somewhere else you work at in future years. Never burn bridges.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    & you never know who they know, even if you're going to a completely different industry
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The person planned to do the exit interview probably won't do anything with the info.
    If a company is bothering to do exit interviews, there's a reasonable chance 'something' is done with the information gathered. Even if in most cases it's just looked at by HR, if you're reporting something about managerial behaviour that will be noted by someone else - or there's no point doing them!
    Someone at work did suggest I ask the CEO to do my exit interview.
    Many people at work make many suggestions. Some of them are better than others.
    I think he would care if he knew the team were being bullied and subject to unfair treatment.
    He might, or he might think this is just Firefly moaning.
    I know there is a chance it could come across as me moaning because nobody has had the courage to speak out yet.
    Well, have the courage to speak out in your exit interview, using the channels you've got, and being well-prepared. No vague hearsay, but report on things you saw and witnessed.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • getmore4less
    Options
    If the CEO is on the ball there will probably be a discrepancy in the retention rates between departments.

A hint in that direction and let them get on with it.

with no burning bridges in mind so loads of positive stuff.

"why are you leaving"

"lots of people have left, all seem to be getting better jobs so I started looking and found one"

"do you have the same issue in your department?"

throw in any specifics that are general issues like too much unpaid overtime, no training opportunities, just stop short of saying the managers are bad
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Without saying the managers are bad you could say something like the local management style did not suit you, or you didn't find the team atmosphere comfortable. If the company want to read between the lines then it is there, but without directly condemning them.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport