PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Meal building blocks for the freezer

Options

Comments

• Reeni_2
    Reeni_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I have to say thank you for this thread. I haven't read it all but just looking through a coupld of pages I have so many useful ideas! I have two freezers so I plan on keeping part cooked blocks in one and the basics in the other. That shoud work out (hopefully) to be a smooth flow of items from the shops to one freezer and then to the other! :)
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    I don't do much batch cooking for the freezer, but I do have what I call 'building blocks' of meals stashed in there.

Breadcrumbs and cubes -to save all my hm breadcrusts going to waste. Crumbs for coating fishckes, hm nuggets, hm fishfingers, treacle tart, bread pudding, breadcrumb cookies, in muffins, frying with garlic in olive oil to serve with pasta. Cubes for croutons with our weekend lunchtime soup. or fried up with butter and sugar and served with cream for a quick and sticky pud, or in other old-fashioned puddings.

Spill the beans.. What are breadcrumb cookies?
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • purpleivy
    Options
    I find the Panasonic bread dough programme makes too much for one pizza (we're usually a two person household) and so I freeze half in a block ready to thaw and roll and top with (pre-frozen) pizza toppings too. Quick and easy especially if you have also got frozen grated cheese too, instant margarita pizza.

Great ideas, Thriftlady! I only wish I had room in my freezer for more 'building blocks', am bulllying DH into clearing out the garage so I can have another freezer out there, but not having much luck, so far :rolleyes: :mad:

Mrs F x

I get a whole salami from LIDL and slice it. Bag up portions big enough for 2 pizzas and freeze. Also when I open jar/can of anchovies I do the same, as the remainder would otherwise go off in the fridge. Salami useful for emergency sandwiches too. slices can be prised apart and thaw quickly.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
  • HockeyDuo8083
    Options
    If sausages are ever on a BOGOF then I like to chop them up into chunks and then freeze in a bag. This means I can just take them out add cook into pasta sauce etc. I find that becasue I chop them into 1/4" chunks they defrost quicker and cook quicker.
    Spreading the gospel that is Martin Lewis to the future generation....I'm a Home Economics Teacher and being thrifty is the way!:A
  • purpleivy
    Options
    purpleivy wrote: »
    Spill the beans.. What are breadcrumb cookies?

I just googled this....sounds good to me, will have to have a go.
  • bigsmoke
    bigsmoke Posts: 281 Forumite
    Options
    ooooh - i've just made plans to defrost our freezer at the weekend so will definitely be returning to this thread for tips!

i particularly like idea of freezing herbs, the pots we buy don't seem to last very long...

thanks for all the ideas, if i think of any of my own i'll be back!
  • reedyreedy
    Options
    I am amazed at all these wonderful suggestions and would love to try them all, but need some advice on buying a freezer.

I'm guessing an upright one is easier to use than a chest freezer, but can you fit more in a chest? Any outlets that sell bargain freezers - new ones seem so expensive!

Do people recommend buying second hand - I have heard all sorts of stories of problems after fridges have been moved/tilted etc, are freezers the same? I have access to a small van, but there's no way I could fit even a small freezer upright in it, it would have to lay down. Is this really bad?

Thanks for all your help!
  • purpleivy
    Options
    You just have to leave them upright for 24hrs before switching on, if they have been on their side. Some fridges and freezers have a re-set button. Fortunately we discovered this before panicking and getting a new fridge!

I prefer the chest freezer, as it doesn't need defrosting as often and when it has to be done I find it easier as there aren't loads of pipes that the ice builds up round.

Freezers seem to come up relatively regularly on Freecycle round here,
  • Churchmouse
    Options
    purpleivy wrote: »
    I just googled this....sounds good to me, will have to have a go.

and the link is.......:rotfl: You should know better than not provide a link:p :D
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
  • purpleivy
    Options
    and the link is.......:rotfl: You should know better than not provide a link:p :D

Well I haven't tried a recipe yet, just type 'breadcrumb cookies' into search engine and some will appear. If I try one, I'll let you know if it works.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills