PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Meal building blocks for the freezer

1151617181921»

Comments

• I've always wondered about freezing cream - I don't use it often and tend to end up with half a container languishing in the fridge until I give up and throw it out!

Is it bad that when I couldn't sleep last night I was mentally stocking up the freezer?? :eek:

:rotfl:
    March 2020 grocery challenge $921.76/$500AU
    April 2020 grocery challenge $744/$800
    May 2020 GC $724.11/$750
    June 2020 GC $370.31/$700
    July 2020 GC $316.87/$700
  • hanb
    hanb Posts: 464 Forumite
    Just read this from the start in a quest to find what to do with some chicken and now want to do everything else that's mentioned!

I couldn't find an answer to my chicken question.. If I want to freeze portions of diced chicken breast to build meals from, should I cook it and freeze it to save time the other end or just dice it and freeze it raw? Apologies if this is answered somewhere else! New to being so organised!!
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    hanb wrote: »
    Just read this from the start in a quest to find what to do with some chicken and now want to do everything else that's mentioned!

I couldn't find an answer to my chicken question.. If I want to freeze portions of diced chicken breast to build meals from, should I cook it and freeze it to save time the other end or just dice it and freeze it raw? Apologies if this is answered somewhere else! New to being so organised!!

This may be a completely unhelpful answer - I do both.
    Depends on what I envision the likely meals to be, I prefer raw small dice for stir-fries and casseroles, I'll slice cooked chicken to be used in sandwiches, salads and roast dinners.
    I have 5kg of chicken breast to sort for the freezer this afternoon, I'll pouch a kilo of it, stuff with garlic soft cheese wrap in parma ham and freeze raw. 2Kg will be roast and sliced. 1Kg will finely diced and frozen raw, the last kilo will be large dice, marinated in yoghurt and spices and grilled as tikka, most will be frozen tomorrow (the rest will be part of tomorrow's evening meal).
    I'll vacpac and freeze them in approx 200g portions (in theory two adult portions, in practice that's often 2 evening meals and 2 lunches for diced chicken as a casserole/pie filling etc).
  • hanb
    hanb Posts: 464 Forumite
    nuatha wrote: »
    This may be a completely unhelpful answer - I do both.
    Depends on what I envision the likely meals to be, I prefer raw small dice for stir-fries and casseroles, I'll slice cooked chicken to be used in sandwiches, salads and roast dinners.
    I have 5kg of chicken breast to sort for the freezer this afternoon, I'll pouch a kilo of it, stuff with garlic soft cheese wrap in parma ham and freeze raw. 2Kg will be roast and sliced. 1Kg will finely diced and frozen raw, the last kilo will be large dice, marinated in yoghurt and spices and grilled as tikka, most will be frozen tomorrow (the rest will be part of tomorrow's evening meal).
    I'll vacpac and freeze them in approx 200g portions (in theory two adult portions, in practice that's often 2 evening meals and 2 lunches for diced chicken as a casserole/pie filling etc).

Thank you! That's a great help and I might have to pinch your stuffed and tikka ideas! 😊
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure