PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Meal building blocks for the freezer

Options

Comments

• Matilda33
    Options
    Garlic Butter - beat half a pound of cheap butter and add crushed garlic and parsley from the garden. Roll it up in a long sausage in greaseproof paper and chill. Then slice it up and freeze the slices.
    Chillis- no cooking involved but I first grew chillis in 2006. Started off slicing and de-seeding before freezing but soon got fed up. Now I just freeze them whole. They are small enough to chop while frozen and as good as fresh.
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just remembered another one. When limes are cheap or YS, squeeze them, put in an ice tray. My one with large cubes are 1tbsp. You need 1 tbsp triple sec, 2 cubes of lime and 3 tbsp of tequila. Shake it all up and you have a margarita without diluting it with ice. I hate the stuff but make it for DH,
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • Mellika
    Mellika Posts: 506 Forumite
    Options
    Thriftlady I just read the first post and think it's wodnerful.
    I have 2 questions:
    1. What's your recipe for crumble mix?
    2. You say you freeze your white sauce, my mum told me not to freeze her recipe which has milk, butter and cornflour. What do you think?
    Meli xx
    GC March Wk1 £28.72/£30 Wk2 £28.4/£29
    "Life is too short to float Coke cans..."
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or do without!
    :jSealed Pot Challenge Member No.644 (Mar4-Dec1):j
    100 Day Challenge: 13/100 (Mar4-Jun9)
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mellika wrote: »
    Thriftlady I just read the first post and think it's wodnerful.
    I have 2 questions:
    1. What's your recipe for crumble mix?
    2. You say you freeze your white sauce, my mum told me not to freeze her recipe which has milk, butter and cornflour. What do you think?
    Meli xx

Hi Mellika,

For a basic crumble to feed about 6 I use 8oz flour, 4oz butter and 3oz sugar;) I would probably triple (at least) that for the freezer.

I can't see any reason why your mum's sauce except that the texture maybe not so good when defrosted.
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Olliebeak wrote: »
    However, when it comes to onions, I just peel, chop, bag and freeze - inside 2 bags - cos of the smell! Just take out one or two handfuls when needed - they soon defrost. I buy the large bags of SmartPrice onions - they are a bit on the small side but I don't mind that at all. I've lost track of the number of BIG onions that I've bought and then found that the middle of them has gone all manky and can't be used :mad:..

How do you manage to take out one or two handfuls? When I freeze onion it goes into a solid lump.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    catkins wrote: »
    How do you manage to take out one or two handfuls? When I freeze onion it goes into a solid lump.

Just bash the bag on the worktop (make sure it's properly sealed first though) - they'll soon separate ;)!
  • DdraigGoch
    Options
    I did that the other day with some carrots and the bag split .... not my best move *rolls eyes*

It's about 40 years since I started making rubbed up pastry for my Mum to have in the freezer - I made the pastry, she made the cakes! - and I'd quite forgotten about it. It's ever such an easy way to store it, saves waiting around for it to thaw and seems to make it even shorter. A huge bag full of mix was always lurking in the freezer. Must get back to it!

Thanks for the reminder.
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
  • Mellika
    Mellika Posts: 506 Forumite
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    Hi Mellika,

For a basic crumble to feed about 6 I use 8oz flour, 4oz butter and 3oz sugar;) I would probably triple (at least) that for the freezer.

I can't see any reason why your mum's sauce except that the texture maybe not so good when defrosted.

Thank you thank you THANK YOU !!! :D
    GC March Wk1 £28.72/£30 Wk2 £28.4/£29
    "Life is too short to float Coke cans..."
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or do without!
    :jSealed Pot Challenge Member No.644 (Mar4-Dec1):j
    100 Day Challenge: 13/100 (Mar4-Jun9)
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When our local supermarket sells bags of Waitrose nuts off cheaply because they are coming to their sell by date they are often reduced by a huge amount (I think it depends on who is holding the pricing gun :rolleyes:). They can go from £4 to 50p! So what I do is stock up and put them in the freezer. I have discovered that the seam on the bag doesn't seem to like the freezer though :rolleyes:, so now I put them in a container.
  • GreenandThrifty
    Options
    Wow this is such a great thread !!!!! I thought I was brilliant at using my freezer but there's so much here I didn't know you could put in.... I'll be trying it all now!! :) :money:
    Food budget: Nov £80 / 2.33 /0.00/0.00/00.00(.)
    Splurges (if I list them here I might remember I've already treated myself!!(.)
    NSD 2/3
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport