Thinking Thailand - Where should I start.

Options

Comments

• PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    Thai airways are using new A350 and A380 aircraft on the route from LHR direct non stop to BKK, long haul flights on new aircraft are better because of better air quality and lower pressurisation in the cabin, you feel less tired when you arrive.
    Consider booking a multi-stop trip flying on Thai airways including domestic flights, you get the benefits of new long haul aircraft and through ticketing.

Emirates A380 are quite good too...

https://www.emirates.com/english/flying/our_fleet/emirates_a380/emirates_a380.aspx

Ditto with Qatar Airlines...

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/fleet.html

As with all flights, long haul in particular, how tired or how fresh you'll feel at the end of a flight depends a lot on the behaviour and habits of the people sat around you. A couple of infants who are regularly having a good scream can really put the dampers on an otherwise uneventful flight. If that flight is 14 hours non-stop you ain't going to feel fresh at the end of it.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    ...A couple of infants who are regularly having a good scream can really put the dampers on an otherwise uneventful flight. ...

btw I've had a pair of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bose-QuietComfort-Bluetooth-Cancelling-Headphones-Black/dp/B01E3SNO1G

for years, great product.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    Thai airways are using new A350 and A380 aircraft on the route from LHR direct non stop to BKK, long haul flights on new aircraft are better because of better air quality and lower pressurisation in the cabin, you feel less tired when you arrive.
    Consider booking a multi-stop trip flying on Thai airways including domestic flights, you get the benefits of new long haul aircraft and through ticketing.

Here we are agreeing, for once. :)

I think for such a short duration, it's a waste of time and energy messing around with an extra stop in Dubai/UAE/Doha etc both ways. Especially if there is no significant saving on cost.

Furthermore they would have a through ticket flying back from Krabi/Phuket. Again, less messing around. Especially important on their first visit.
  • WAYT
    Options
    Typing at the same time Dosh.....I agree with all of that.

You write that you agree with all they write, but they propose a night flight and you propose a day flight.

Personally I concur with the night flight suggestion.
    Day flight you have to get up early, travel for 12 to 16 hours without proper sleep and then land with still perhaps 9 to 12 hours in front of you before you can go to bed. Horrible.

Night flight you can go about your day as usual and by the time of boarding it's soon your usual time to sleep. So not too much disruption to the body clock.
    By the time you land, you have perhaps 4 to 6 hours with which to play before enjoying a proper bed.
    Next morning you wake up refreshed, ready for the day.
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i d go for 3 weeks like my sis or maybe 2 ..
    10 days i think is too short and its a real long flight.
    you could have one week on the beach and a week somewhere different but still in Thailand tho .
    watch the film Beach, its one of my favorite films
    I
    dont think your holiday will be like this tho..ha ha
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • PompeyPete
    Options
    WAYT wrote: »
    You write that you agree with all they write, but they propose a night flight and you propose a day flight.

I'm agreeing, basically because I'd rather land in Bangkok in the evening, rather than 0700ish. But my preference would still be lunchtime. I wouldn't be planning to do too much for the rest of the day. Last arrival at BKK in February it took almost 2 hours to clear the airport due to bags taking ages to get to the carousel. Then there's the taxi or ARL that can add an hour plus. So 3 hours from hitting the tarmac to arriving at accommodation. A lunchtime arrival got us to our accommodation in Banglamphu just before 1600, in time for a wander, something to eat, and an early night. Then a full day refreshed and ready to go.....Pier 13 as it happened, and the Orange Flag ferry up to Nonthaburi.
    Personally I concur with the night flight suggestion.
    Day flight you have to get up early, travel for 12 to 16 hours without proper sleep and then land with still perhaps 9 to 12 hours in front of you before you can go to bed. Horrible.

Depends where you're travelling from. We're in the Portsmouth area. 90 minutes by train straight into Gatwick, or a bit longer by National Express. So out of bed at 0500, not that early really, and at Gatwick before 1000.
    Night flight you can go about your day as usual and by the time of boarding it's soon your usual time to sleep. So not too much disruption to the body clock.
    By the time you land, you have perhaps 4 to 6 hours with which to play before enjoying a proper bed.
    Next morning you wake up refreshed, ready for the day.

I've done the lot, but can't say I've ever felt refreshed, or ready for a long day. Especially so, if the flight hasn't been a particularly good one. Last one from Dubai to Bangkok, we had bad turbulence all the way across the Bay of Bengal, and a couple of screamers.

But it's all down to personal choice, Emirates and Qatar Airlines give you that.
  • WAYT
    Options
    I'm agreeing, basically because I'd rather land in Bangkok in the evening, rather than 0700ish. But my preference would still be lunchtime. I wouldn't be planning to do too much for the rest of the day. Last arrival at BKK in February it took almost 2 hours to clear the airport due to bags taking ages to get to the carousel. Then there's the taxi or ARL that can add an hour plus. So 3 hours from hitting the tarmac to arriving at accommodation. A lunchtime arrival got us to our accommodation in Banglamphu just before 1600, in time for a wander, something to eat, and an early night. Then a full day refreshed and ready to go.....Pier 13 as it happened, and the Orange Flag ferry up to Nonthaburi.

Depends where you're travelling from. We're in the Portsmouth area. 90 minutes by train straight into Gatwick, or a bit longer by National Express. So out of bed at 0500, not that early really, and at Gatwick before 1000.

I've done the lot, but can't say I've ever felt refreshed, or ready for a long day. Especially so, if the flight hasn't been a particularly good one. Last one from Dubai to Bangkok, we had bad turbulence all the way across the Bay of Bengal, and a couple of screamers.

But it's all down to personal choice, Emirates and Qatar Airlines give you that.

I know you keep pushing that point, but they do not give you the choice of flying direct.. THAI Airways gives you the choice of a direct morning or evening flight.
    I would only fly indirect if there was substantial saving or if flying Business Class.
    The OP has a ten to eleven day holiday. Wasting hours stopping off in the middle east for no good reason makes no sense at all. Flying from or to DMK makes no sense at all. Flying back to BKK the day before to connect with their homeward bound flight makes no sense at all.
    Just having a through flight with THAI Airways where one airline takes all the responsibility for the connections makes sense.
    It's not as if any of the indirect airlines offer a better flight experience than THAI. Perhaps many years ago, before THAI upgraded their product. But not now.

This is a for a late honeymoon. Having to get off halfway through with hand luggage, having to go through security procedures and waiting around, isn't going to add positively to the experience.

There is a time and a place for everything. This trip would benefit from direct flights with single airline taking care of all of the arrangements. Especially so, when it doesn't cost significantly more than the indirect options.
  • moneysavvy35
    Options
    Hi All....Thanks for all your input. Despite saying I should DIY I popped into my local flight centre to see what they could come up with. They have put this together for City, Jungle Beach Trip. I will try to put it in here in condensed terms so it makes an easier read....

LEG 1

1/3/18 - Lhr dep 3.05pm - arrive doha 00.55 - quatar airways
    2/3/18 dep doha - 00.55 arrive bkk - 1.15pm

private transfer to hotel (buffalo tours)
    Check in 02/03/18 Mode Sathorn - Deluxe room
    Check out - 05/03/18

LEG 2

Private Transfer to Don Munag Airport 05/3/18
    dep don muang 12:55 - thai air asia
    arrive Chiang Mai Intl Airport, 1:45

Private Transfer to Centara Khum paya hotel (Deluxe Room)
    Check in 05/03/18
    check out 08/03/18

LEG 3

Private Transfer to Chiang Mai Intl Airport 08/03/18
    Dep chiang mai 1pm
    arrive phuket 3:05pm

Private Transfer to Centara Karon Resort
    Check in 08/03/18
    check out 12/03/18

Private Transfer to Phuket airport
    dep phuket 8:10pm - quatar airways 12/03/18
    arrive doha 12pm

dep doha 3:55pm
    arrive lhr 8:25pm 12/03/18

Sounds alot to squezze into 12days. but also sounds exciting. Honest opinions please.

I have priced up similar flights & hotel prices for around same dates and its coming up with around £2000. However I have not included the internal flights or transfers. Flight centre have said they can do this for £2312.00 inc internal flights & transfers. in addition I can get this all done by them.

What do you all think?
  • moneysavvy35
    Options
    Oh and I also said this maybe a bit much to fit it all in, so she will also be pricing up city & beach only deal which I am waiting on.
  • moneysavvy35
    Options
    Heres the city & beach one which I think I could do myself though:

02/03/18 depart lhr 2:15pm - arrive doha 23:59 - quatar
    dep doha 2:30am - arrive bkk 1.15pm 03/03/18

private transfers (buffalo tours)

Check in 03/03 Mode Sathorn Hotel
    Check out 07/03

Private transfers to airport
    dep don muang 07/03 12:45pm - thai airasia
    arr phuket 07/03 phuket

private transfers to
    Centara Karon Resort check in 07/03 (Superior Room)
    check out 13/03

private transfer airport 13/03

dep phuket 13/03 8:10am
    arrive doha 12:10pm
    dep doha 15:55pm
    arrive lhr 8:25pm

They can do this for £2000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing