I will never be £16,676.84 in debt again

Options

Comments

• jemreading
    Options
    Hi mrsonions.

Yes, it’s worth saving as much as possible into an emergency fund. You don’t want to commit too much to your debt, then not have enough in emergency funds to pay for said emergency and then have to put it on the cards again.

It’s best to get out the credit card cycle while you can :)
  • mrsonions
    Options
    I’m so sorry I haven’t been around, firstly moved house, then Christmas then a crazy few weeks at work. But I got paid today so thought today is a good day to update the diary!

Current balance is £14,631.52.

So much going on, no point going backwards, but will try and keep this updated from now on.

Have told DH that I can’t control what comes out of the joint account if he keeps using his debit card so we have agreed to take £50 a week as personal spends, which is too much I think but will start high and aim to cut.

Have been very good at as both bringing in lunch from home which really helps!
  • mrsonions
    Options
    Quite a spendy weekend as had to buy birthday presents for mother in law. She does so much for us that I don’t mind spending on her.

Took my son and niece & nephew for a cheap Sunday morning film at the cinema - they loved it and less than £3 per person for the ticket, including adults! This cost me £9 as my sister paid for her kids’ tickets and popcorn; the £9 covered me and DS’s ticket plus his kids box meal deal they do – took our own chocolates in!

I listed a pair of UGGS on eBay which I’m hoping to sell for around £75.00 which will help with the funds.

Withdrew £33.21 from Quidco which will go into overpayment pot along with £300 which I am trying to make as a regular overpayment which means I’ll clear £500 a month on the cards. Takes me to paying this debt off in just under 2 years – wonder if I can do it quicker?!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,664 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well done on the move and £500 on the cards each month should get them repaid in just under 2 and a half years if the debt is £14,631?

Good you have an emergency fund now and I would do regular monthly spends for you and your husband. It is the only thing which stops my DH dipping into joint current account and ruining my budgeting. We do a monthly transfer to a personal current account for each of us. Mine usually just sits there until I have a spending spree or do a holiday/weekend away with my sister as I feel uncomfortable taking jollies like that out of our joint money.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mrsonions
    Options
    Thanks enthusiasticsaver for dropping by and for the advice. Am in the process of switching a couple of bank accounts each for me and DH, I will then sort out a regular payment of personal spends. Looking like switching these couple of accounts will earn us £550.00! Not to be sniffed at!

My budgeting also also gets ruined by OH as he takes money out of the joint account for expenses at work grrrrrrr.

I've just seen your signature - debt free and mortgage free WOW! Would love that to be me!

Just transferred just £174.98 into the overpayment account: £50 that my mother in law gave me for my birthday and £124.98 refund from some kitchen appliances that we brought in December and swapped for cheaper so the money has already been 'spent'. Now have £508.31 in the overpayment pot! WOW! Happy with that!
  • mrsonions
    Options
    I open this thread a hundred times, go to update it then get distracted at work as work is insane at the moment! I really must try and keep this diary more up to date!

I!!!8217;m fairly happy with the amount of money we are spending at the moment but I do think we could do better. I ended up buying lunch out twice last week cause we didn!!!8217;t have enough food in !!!8211; so I have brought enough from LIDL this weekend to cover DH and I!!!8217;s lunches.

Still waiting for those blasted UGGS to sell on eBay!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    It seems like you are still doing well with the budgeting and debt repayment plan. Hopefully you also have a decent emergency fund now with the cash surplus after moving. Are you renting or have you taken out a new mortgage?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mrsonions
    Options
    We have taken on a new mortgage, we needed to move to get DS into a good school.
  • mrsonions
    Options
    Still haven't sold the UGGS :(

£17.84 gone into the overpayment pot today - we returned something to Homebase and because we brought it last month, I feel like the money has already been spent. £526.15 now saved and payday is on Friday. Planning on putting £300 on one of the cards when I get paid :)
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good to see your debt going down. You are doing well with Ebay sales... I still need to start selling.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 236 payments to go - now £183,036 Equity 26.8%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £4.6K on 0% spends card but offset by £33.8K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.2K/£127.5K AVC target 8% value at 15/5
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport