I will never be £16,676.84 in debt again

Options

Comments

• tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    Well done on the bank account, brilliant progress! 9 weeks to Christmas you need 3 presents a week - difficult. I would get together an emergency (never touched except for an emergency) as that will help when the car breaks down etc. £1000 is what people usually say. You are doing very well.
  • mrsonions
    Options
    Thank you tootallulah :)

It's all gone a bit Pete Tong as they say. My toddler was sick then I got sick, food costs have gone out of the window but then I have saved money not going to work so swings and roundabouts! I had to pay a token payment to British Gas of £100 too.

We are all feeling better so I need to get back to it. Payday is next Tuesday so not too many days to get through.

Need to update my spreadsheet and then use that to budget for next month and see what areas can be reduced.

It’s all learning!
  • mrsonions
    Options
    Not much to report, just waiting for payday. Hoping to have £150-£200 to overpay a credit card.

Have a day off work on Tuesday so planning on sitting down with my spreadsheet and putting together a budget for November.
  • mrsonions
    Options
    Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Because of the way I get paid (24th of each month) and because of the way that date fell last month and this month, some of my DDs came out twice in one month :( It meant I made zero overpayment.

Maybe I should try a new tactic this month and overpay at the beginning of the month?

Anyway, new totals for this month is: £16,123.19.
  • mumof3.12kindebt
    Options
    Hi. Good luck. Small steps. A diary and a spending diary is a great place to start to find out how much you really spend. Following
    June 17 £16,000 debt ~ nov 18 DEBT FREE •June 21 £16,308 debt / july 22 debt free •Original mortgage free date 01/06/2059 current mortgage free date 01/05/2046
  • mrsonions
    Options
    Thank you mumof3.

Three days into the payday month and going well so far. Only another 30 days to get through! LOL

Checked my direct debits this month and one of the credit card payments is coming out twice this month so I’ve accounted for that now so I am not caught in the same situation as last month.

A quiet weekend planned so hopefully a low spend weekend. Fridge is full, have been bringing in lunches from home – all good!

• mrsonions
    Options
    Haven’t posted for over a week! Been busy! DH started a new job so got paid £430 from his old job in owed holiday pay :money:. He has brought himself some clothes for his new job with some of it, I’m thinking I will split the remaining £50 each into savings and use the remaining £100-odd to overpay a card. Need to work out the sums tomorrow.

Social budget has been a lot so far this month, DH’s new job has meant he is going for lunch with new colleagues so that’s cost money but from today he has taken food from home :money:

We met up with some friends and it cost £100 once we factored in petrol and lunch :eek:

Also supermarket shopping, gee whizz is it just me or is food just getting ridiculously expensive?!
  • stvn1
    stvn1 Posts: 141 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi mrsonions, keep it up. It might be a long haul but it'll be worth it, that's what I tell myself anyway.
    LBM 26/10/17
    Total debt at LBM - £15421.47
    NOW DEBT FREE AS OF 30/07/19
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    mrsonions wrote: »
    Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Because of the way I get paid (24th of each month) and because of the way that date fell last month and this month, some of my DDs came out twice in one month :( It meant I made zero overpayment.

Maybe I should try a new tactic this month and overpay at the beginning of the month?

Anyway, new totals for this month is: £16,123.19.

Well done on your first month of debt busting. Hopefully by the end of this month you will be into the 15ks ;)

I would not vastly overpay at the beginning of the month until you have an emergency fund in place and your budget and pots are sorted as the last thing you need is to have to put some urgent thing on a card and increase the debt again. It has gone down by around £500 for the first month so that is no mean feat.

The 0% deals are starting to get shorter according to :money: so you are being sensible in addressing this now.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mrsonions
    Options
    Thanks to enthusiasticsaver and stvn1 for your comments :)

Sorry for not posting for a while but we have moved house - brought a bigger place which definitely impacts the debt busting! Need to do a new SOA.

We ended up with just over £6K cash from the house sale. I paid off the Barclaycard which was just over £920.

Should I save the rest as an emergency fund? We do need to buy a few kitchen appliances but that should be it (famous last words).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure