PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Please let me hold your hand...roll on 2018!

Options

Comments

• Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    From my experience with moves I wouldn't be packing anything yet but I'd be getting rid and organising so that what was left was only the stuff I want to take and that is clean, grouped and ready to pack.

It's very easy to start descending into chaos having a box of half packed stuff, a box of stuff that you'll sort later, a charity bag, a box of stuff to sell etc......

Grab a bin bag and go through every draw and cupboard and chuck out anything that's obviously rubbish. Then go through and tidy each area whilst grouping stuff together, it's then far more obvious what can go. Before you put anything in a box, clean it, dust it, wipe it, scrub it, whatever it needs.

Banana boxes are amazingly strong and ideal for anything from china to books and with the top of the box on, they stack well. I always write on each side what's in it, no big list just a general "kitchen breakable" or "craft" etc. That way they'll all make it to the correct rooms when you get to the new house.

Think ahead about what furniture you want to take and which will be going and sort out the most suitable time to get rid.

It's also worth thinking about how you're moving, get some quotes if others are doing it for you or find out the cost to hire a van and get that on your list of "things to pay out for". I find that being organised with how much it's going to cost and when always makes me feel more in control.

If you've got a spare room that you can start packing in to then ideal but otherwise, leave it until a few day before you go, just make sure you have enough boxes. I find the big blue ikea bags are invaluable - ideal for bulky things like shoes, cushions, duvets etc and their shape means they stack fairly well if you fill them right.

I spent years moving around a few 1000 books from house to house when we moved and wonder just how much time and money was spent on lugging those things alone, we now only keep around 10 books in the house and they're off to the charity shop as soon as they're read. I'd much rather have the space than keep bits of dead tree that I can either buy again if I'd like to reread or borrow from the library. It was very freeing when they went, I'm not sure why we felt the need to keep them but I'd like to think that someone else is actually getting joy from reading them rather than them sitting and decaying on my shelf.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • Serendipitious
    Options
    Congratulations :j

Tax return first, there is a massive reward in getting this done - you will free up a whole lot of space in your mind for the interesting times ahead. :)

After that I'd tackle any outlying areas like garage/shed/loft/cellar - as you won't want to be dealing with any clutter in those at the last minute.

Then I'd decide what constitutes valuable or important items, and pack up your precious stuff first. I don't mean paperwork, I mean special ornaments and so forth. The reason for this is that if you leave yourself surrounded with extra-special things, you will have to find time to pack them properly last minute, and that's risky. The last few days are stressed enough without chasing round looking for bubble wrap. (Speaking of which you can get loads for free from the fruit and veg section of the supermarket.)
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    This thread is also going to help me and others, I will be moving when I have bought a house, so I`ll keep tagging along and reading with great interest. I have moved 9 times in my married life and no time has been easy but some obviously better experiences than others. It is a different ball game now, for me, so I will be learning and applying from the various posts and from VfMs actual posts as she sets to.

I believe that Pookys post above will apply most to me at at he moment, I started doing it that way quite some months ago. I don`t think VfM will have enough time to be as thorough and obviously wants to exchange goods for cash, easier for me as my goods are being donated to a cs

I just did my tax return but the easier way via an accountant, whom I kept after my husband died, even this easier way it is stomach churning, just getting the bits of paper together. I would get it done today VfM, draw a line across and tomorrow could be the actual start day of your new adventure.Please keep us all in the loop
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 September 2017 at 12:09PM
    Options
    There seems to be a general air of "hating tax returns" - I wonder why that is? :rotfl: VfM I shall be looking out for a post that says you've done yours. ;)
    I did mine mid-August, btw - that seems to be the point at which I have all the info I need to get it done.

Fwiw, the last time I "moved house" - in 2002 - I literally had just the car and the clothes I stood up in! I then spent a few weeks periodically going back to the house to collect a carful of my stuff (much of which I had to argue for) - but the circumstances were far from normal; the last time I did a "normal" house move was 1994, so I don't have a lot of useful advice to offer.

But I will be cheering from the sidelines. :o
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • firebubble
    Options
    As others have said, tax return first!

Sheds, lofts, garages and outbuildings next - go through those and get rid of what isn't needed for the new place, as these are most likely to store stuff which is very rarely used or is seasonal (eg gardening equipment) and can therefore be got ready to move now. Anything you're taking, check it still works, doesn't need a repair and has all its attachments - there's no point taking anything that's broken or doesn't work. Ideally, clear them completely, sweep and then shut the door - you won't need to go in them again, and you won't be worrying about these areas at all. If you do need to continue storing stuff in any of these, pick one, but clear the rest completely - then you can tick that off your list!

Clear a space in your house, somewhere downstairs ideally, in readiness for all your boxes as they are ready over the next few months. Nearby, you want to keep permanent markers for labelling - don't seal the boxes at this point, just stack them up. If you're packing up this early, you'll definitely need to get into at least one for something or other, so no point wasting masking tape! Also, make sure you don't overfill - particularly easy with books. Keep boxes to a sensible weight.

Start collecting packing boxes for the move, bubble wrap and also packaging for your ebay (or wherever you're going to sell it) stuff. Sign up to freecycle and maybe FB groups, because people often move house and want someone to come and collect their packing materials.

As an aside, and said in my sternest voice, e baying stuff is a hug faff and takes up a lot of time - think how long it takes to iron, hang up and photograph, create the description, work out all the measurements etc for one single item. It is not the path to riches - we have reached peak stuff, particularly with clothes, and therefore items go for pennies or remain unsold. Then you have to package it up (another cost), and post, on which you may lose money if you underestimate (if you overestimate, people won't bid). Then inevitably, there is always someone who complains because something isn't perfect, so that will be refunded.

On this basis, really consider whether it is worth the time and effort for what you get back. If you're selling clothes, look hard at the condition - buyers basically want new stuff, barely been worn or has tags on. Children's clothes don't sell well, even as a job lot. If you have designer stuff, very vintage things, or high end high street (hobbs, jigsaw, whistles), these are worth selling, but be prepared to list at around the £10 level if you really want to get rid of it. M&S, Zara and below etc probably isn't worth your time to sell. I always list things for a flat price, as it's heartbreaking when stuff sells for 99p because canny bidders wait right until the last minute.

Also make sure you list in plenty of time - if you list for a flat price, e bay lets you list for 30 days. You'll want to enjoy your Christmas too, and so work out a cut-off date when you'll stop or suspend listing because you'll be properly busy with the move, and when Christmas postal queues mean you could spend hours waiting to post something you've sold for £2. You'll be stressed enough with the move, so don't add harrassment from last minute bidders as to whether they will get their item in time for Christmas.

Make a list of services you'll need to notify when you move, and their contact numbers and moving process (you might need to write rather than call) (gas, elec, water, bank, council tax, wifi, sky, post, pension providers etc). Start the list now, so nothing gets missed and you have plenty of time to add to it, particularly when paperwork gets packed up. Another tip: when you send your Christmas cards, include your change of address in the card.

Go through each room and look for things that you definitely don't want or are rubbish - these you can get rid of now for an easy win.

As others have said, a thousand books is a lot of boxes and effort to move...do you really need to keep all of them? If there is a library near your new place, get online and check their catalogue to see if your book is available...if so, do you really need to warehouse your own copy?

As we're going into winter, consider seasonal stuff that you can pack up now as it won't be needed - summer clothes and shoes, outside furniture and picnic stuff. Pack up your Christmas decs for the move as well - you won't need them this year.

Also, if you have a garden (you'll know more about this than me!), but are there any plants you want to take - when do these need to be dug up or cuttings taken?

Good luck! I'm looking forward to reading more.
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's a point: are you selling the place you're living in now as well as buying the new place?

Just thinking that a final clean and tidy and doing odd jobs in the current place (if it's rented to get your deposit back) needs to go on the list.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • White_musk
    Options
    I'm also looking to move, downsizing from a two bed bungalow to a one bed. I had a viewing last week and am going again Monday but I think it may be the 'one' for me. I shall read this thread with interest and add any tips I can. I'm having the removal company pack and move me as disability prevents me doing it myself.

Good luck, exciting times.
    Feb 2019 GC £151.53/£300
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Pooky wrote: »
    I spent years moving around a few 1000 books from house to house when we moved and wonder just how much time and money was spent on lugging those things alone, we now only keep around 10 books in the house and they're off to the charity shop as soon as they're read. I'd much rather have the space than keep bits of dead tree that I can either buy again if I'd like to reread or borrow from the library. It was very freeing when they went, I'm not sure why we felt the need to keep them but I'd like to think that someone else is actually getting joy from reading them rather than them sitting and decaying on my shelf.
    I'm not there yet. Actually I'm not bothered by possessions, but books...well they are knowledge, aren't they? Who knows, I might feel differently a few years down the line!
    short_bird wrote: »
    That's a point: are you selling the place you're living in now as well as buying the new place?

Just thinking that a final clean and tidy and doing odd jobs in the current place (if it's rented to get your deposit back) needs to go on the list.
    My current home is a whole separate headache to get sorted. I'm actually considering moving back in with my parents after exchange so I can get it cleaned thoroughly and painted. It probable sounds very odd, but I want to leave it in showhome condition.

It's so tempting to start to pack up the "easy" stuff: clothes and books etc, but the reality is that I don't have the space to store it away from cupboards. I think I can probably leave this until the week ahead of moving (Christmas?) out and then just blast through it.

I do think it's possible to dedicate 1hr a day Mondays-Fridays to throwing stuff away, for the next month at least. I've also decided that there is going to be a less going out, and a lot more staying in :D

firebubble, your eBay advice has been very helpful. You're right, it just adds an unnecessary distraction. I'll pull things out for now and then when I'm ready decide whether to try to sell / take to a chazzer,

Weekends are for the big milestones (including the dreaded TR, but also sorting out my will and LPA amongst other uninspiring chores. I think I need a brain dump of all activities and then to create a project plan. Let's see how far I get with this tomorrow.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    A quick PS

1) the idea of brightly coloured note book and pen was so that they are findable among the clutter and confusion - ask mates now wetther you can store stuff at theirs and get some there this weekend.
    2) Ask for help! Anyone can shove books into a box and take it off to their house! (for example)

3) consider professional cleaners - the one I used was worth its weight in gold and did a far better job than I could have done - if you PM me I can find out the details but for a 3 bed 2 reception house they charged somat like £200. Such a weight off my mind as by the house cleaning stage I was tired, worn out and not sure where all my cleaning stuff was!
    Not exactly Old Style (unless you were aristocracy which Im not Heheheh!
    Nite all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'll be watching this thread with interest as we are also looking to move next year.

My best bit of advice for the move itself is to make making your bed your priority when you first get in. I can guarantee that by the time bedtime comes, it will be the last thing you want to do.

I also advise packing a box of tea/coffee/whatever you/anyone helping drinks with the kettle, cups and spoons. That way, you can easily have a cuppa without rooting through boxes.

I would also sort things into keep/bin/sell piles as there is no point bringing something with you that you will never use again/just don't want.

I self-moved over 400 miles last year, but had time to do a good few bootsales - sadly not much of an option at this time of year.

We are currently ebaying lots of books, dvds and cds, as well as other random bits and pieces.

Good luck :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport