PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Please let me hold your hand...roll on 2018!

Options

Comments

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm going out in 10 minutes so won't have time for much but I've done what you are about to do but I only had 4 weeks.
    I'll come back this evening but give you one tip now.

Get that tax return done before anything else. The weight off your mind will be wonderful.

Then you can start on the rest.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I agree with monnagran, prioritise the most important stuff first and your tax return is very important set aside a block of time and a large pot of coffee and tackle that first and foremost.Once thats done and off your back you can begin to organise a little When I first got married I moved 9 times in 3 years ,the last time was with a 4 & 2 year old in tow.Its doable and adds grey hairs but think of the end result.Fodd obviously is the first priority after the tax man as you certainly don't want to try and move with a full freezer.List all of the contents and stuff to eat and work your way through them.I shall be moving in around three years time and I have started to organise books cds etc already.Once read I pass them on to CS or friends,unless they are precious and I'm not able to get rid of them They will get boxed up in crates and labelled to what room they will be going into .re the library books read an hour at a time and if after two or three hours the books don't grab you then return them to the library Don't waste precious time reading something you aren't keen on or because you think you have to.A lot of kitchen gadgets can also be boxed up and put away for a few months Work out whats the minimum you can manage with including cutlery and cups plates etc and box the rest up if you are keeping them.Its amazing how little you really need.If you were camping you wouldn't need a butter knife would you ,bit of an allegory but you see what I mean.
    I wish you the best of luck with your coming move and I'm sure it will go well. Where in Essex are you hoping to move to ,out in the sticks or Colchester way.I lived on Mersea Island in the mid 1960s and loved it
    Good Luck and keep us all in the loop at how you are getting on.

JackieO xxx
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I've moved 5 times in the last 7 years, so feel your pain!

My advice is to start at the top and work down. so, clear the loft. Anything you don't need/haven't used then CS it.

Pack up the bedrooms. pack away summer stuff/unused stuff and again CS ing anything you don't wear. I got loads of decent boxes, which come flat and you just make them up as you need them.

If you have a garage you can store empty boxes and those you've packed up then all the better. Get stickers and a thick felt tip pen and write on the boxes what's in them and what room they are for the other end.

If you are organised like this all will be well. My last 3 moves I've done all alone (save the removal firms) and with 2 cats and a long drive.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Well done on your good news. :T
    You sound so excited.

I'm with you in that I too have a load of stuff that I need to sell on ebay but haven't got round to it.
    Let's do it together.
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Books are also relatively straightforward. I've got roughly 1,000 and lately have been adding at the rate of 25-30 a month. I am going to have to get a handle on my chazzer craziness. I'll make an exception for the books I've P'inned, but no more buying stuff.
    I'd better not catch you posting about your future bargains on the 'charity shop' thread. :naughty:;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I used bigdug for all my storage boxes

I second that re the tax return, its a big weight gone
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Those library books.... does your new hometown not have a library? 12 chunky books to read before Christmas seems like an avoidance strategy (sorry if that sounds harsh, but you have no time for softhanded doctors).

Good luck with the move! You sound really excited. I loved visiting Essex two years ago, some parts are still exactly like John Constable painted them!
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    I'm here for you!....virtual mugs of coffee to accompany the hand-holding.

I moved into this area something like 10 years ago....and have moved 4 times in that period....last time was in November last year - downsized and expect this is 'it' for me. (Although I have said that before!!!....NO!...this IS it!)

Use you packing as a chance to seriously look at what you need, what you want, and if you are honest what-you-can-live-without......I have found that some charity shops are willing to collect larger items if you ask.
  • Sj62
    Sj62 Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    jackyann wrote: »
    You need to save money, but these are a good investment:

clear plastic stacking boxes for stuff you are keeping: you can see what's in them and they are useful storage when in a new home. We bought 100 from Big Dug, but they might be cheaper elsewhere.

Put out a wanted on Freecycle for boxes and packing material. If you don't get much in the way of newspapers, tell neighbours and friends to save some for you.

Buy black bin bags for rubbish only AND a lot of clear plastic bags & ties. These are useful for clothes, toys etc. you can see what's in them, and write on them. Reduces the chances of favourite things ending up in the bin!

Marker pens and labels -both sticky and tie on. That way you can have your bags/ boxes for sale or moving easily identifiable.

That's how I did 3 house clearances and built a house in the space of a year!

Good luck!

Wow! Seriously impressive JackyAnn
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you!
    I wasn't short of space, which I think helpful.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    haven't submitted my tax return for last year, thats the worst job of the year and I hate it :( .
    Prioritise this. It has to be done at some point; and once the "worst job of the year" (I wholeheartedly agree, btw) is done and dusted, it will be a huge weight off your mind.

Oh, and good luck; I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure