Horrible shop experience. Short-changed.

Options

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    But what am I supposed to say if I have been short changed.?

You're supposed to say (to yourself) :-

"Darn - I should have checked my change before i left the shop, I sure hope i can leave my number and have them call me if the till doesnt balance at the end of the day"
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I got as far as the bit where you say you have brown skin and glazed over. Sorry.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A number of years back I was in a pub in London.

I bought a couple of drinks paid with a £20 note and was given change for a tenner. I immediately pointed this out and was backed up by the guy standing next to me. The barmaid accused us of being in cahoots (he was a total stranger) and then said she was going to cash up there and then. Which she did - causing service to slow in a busy, busy pub. She then announced, in triumph, that the till balanced.

So, at that point, I gave up. But then I thought about it the next day and still felt aggrieved. I rang the pub, spoke to the manager politely. She apologised and said that if I came back to the pub she'd made sure I got a free bottle of wine. Which she did

While I recognise there are differences in the stories I'd go with suggesting that the OP approaches the shop politely, sticking to the basic facts. He could say he is contacting them because he realises that they don't have a working phone number for him. Probably worth speaking to the owner/manager. He might get the same sort of result I did
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think your change was perhaps given to one of the pensioners in front of you. Reaching across the SA gave you £2 and the £5 to one of them.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Losses could include:

- Stationary (ironic :rotfl: ) to be able to write and send a letter, if email isn't preferred.
    Oops, Stationary means standing still, I think you meant Stationery but your point was made anyway!
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    Oops, Stationary means standing still, I think you meant Stationery but your point was made anyway!

Pobodys nerfect
  • BoP will now interpret for the hard of reading

OP wen into an emporium and bought items costing £3. They handed over a nice shiny tenner and forgot to check their change. No children are involved.
    Short changed by £5. Horrible experience.
    Hello, I went into a small stationary store, and there were two female members of staff at the two tills. I had purchased a few envelopes. The cost came to just over £3. Not all the items I purchased were price marked.

As it was my turn, and as there was an elderly person in front of me who was waiting for her friend at the second till, I was served at a diagonal angle to the till. I gave the woman who was serving me a £10 note. I picked up the plastic bag with the items inside and I put out my hand (still diagonal to the till, so it was difficult to see how much the amount cost). As she was gave me my change (the coins were placed in a stack on top of each other), she was saying a few words to me about the weather outside, as the rain had just stopped. I didn't bother to count my change and she did not give me a receipt.
    I just closed my hand and went outside the door.

I must have walked out about three meters (I had just about passed the end of the shop),
    when I looked again at the change in my hand and the amount didn't look right - the change was under £2. I quickly realised the cost of the items and the change she had given me added up to £5, so I immediately knew I had been short changed by £5. It must have been no more than five to eight seconds from when I walked out of the door, to when I went back inside. I immediately returned and told the member of staff who served me (who was alongside her colleague), that I was five pounds short. Immediately, both looked at me
    as if I was lying. I said if I had been given a receipt, it would have been a lot easier to realise what had happened straight way.

(This may be irrelevant, but just to add, I have brown skin and was wearing a baseball cap at the time).
    Both of them looked at me as though I was lying. I didn't have to, but because of how they were looking at me, I emptied my trouser and coat pockets in front of them and placed everything I had on the counter to show them my bank card, some tissues, my keys, another £10, and the small change she had given to me. (The only loose change I had was what had been given to me by the member of staff). The small change and the cost of the items added up to £5.

The tills in this shop are very old, but with a small digital display at the front. The woman who served me opened the top of the till and looked at the receipt roll, which had not been given to me (nor from what it looked like from the size of the roll, to the others customers).

She looked at the cost of the items on the receipt roll and she agreed I had given her £10, but she
    was adament, at first, she had given me nearly £7 in change instead of just under £2, which is what I had - and was placed on the counter.
    I actually felt like both members of staff were looking at me as if I was lying.
    The were other customers in the store at the time, and the other member of staff (who didn't serve me ) spoke to me impolitely at first, saying the till would be checked at the end of the day and she would call me back after they had checked to see if the till balanced. She huffed at me and discourteously asked for my phone number in an unpleasant way. I knew from the way they were speaking to me and the way they looked at me, I wasn't going to get my money back at the end of the day, or the next.
    My mind almost went blank from how they were making me feel, and I gave them my mobile phone number and my name. After I gave my information, they started being being more polite, not I feel, because both genuinely felt that way, but because I had now given them my personal information and there were customers there.

The member of staff (who didn't serve me) then wrote out a receipt for the cost of the goods purchased and gave it to me. No other figures were on there. I walked out from the store feeling pretty sick. In fact I became so nervous, I checked my pockets again, even though I hadn't put my change in there.

I went back home and knew I had been shortchanged by £5. I have two mobile phones, one I rarely use because as it is a 'Pay as you Go,' and the other, a rolling contract - my newer phone. As soon as I got home, I checked to see if my older mobile phone was working (hoping they might call me to say a genuine mistake was made). I tried calling it using my home phone and found out it was inactive because I hadn't used it for six months. (At the time I felt uncomfortable giving them my home number and I couldn't think properly to give them my newer mobile number, as I was put on the spot - and I also had no mobile phone on me at the time).

At home, I called up the mobile phone operator and asked them to reactive it, but they said they couldn't. So my day was getting worse. I then wrote down my name and my home number on a piece of paper and returned to the shop about half an hour later to see there was now a man serving at the till. I think he must have been the owner, and it was near the end of the day. The two female members of staff were no longer there. I gave him my home phone number and explained what happened, but from the look he gave me, and from what the other two members of staff must have said, he didn't believe me. Again, he said he would check to see if the till would balance at the end of the day and would call me. I do know the member of staff who served me must have been relatively new, as she asked the elder woman (who was very discourteous to me at first), how much the envelopes cost.
    The day passed and I still haven't received a phone call. I don't like giving out my personal information, especially when they had done this to me.
    It wasn't so much I had been short changed of £5, that I can live with. It's the fact that rather than asking for me to call them, the member of staff put me on the spot and quite impolitely asked me to give her my number - and as there were customers around, she knew by me not giving it, it could make me out to be a liar.

If I go into a store and a cashier gives me too much change, I always go back in there and return it. I have never been treated like this, and I knew that whatever I said, I was never going to get my money back, yet I had to give her my personal information, in what felt like duress.

I began to doubt myself because of how they were making me feel, but no matter how much I doubted, it didn't explain why I was five pound short. I guess I just wanted to type my experience because I feel sick from that happened... Has anybody had anything like this happen to them.

Just to add, I never raised my voice, and talked politely to all three.
  • worried123
    Options
    I was shortchanged in a local chemist shop by about £5...interestingly i was not given a receipt just like the OP - I mentioned the short change immediately and was given a nervous excuse and explanation and it was rectified......However, it was blatantly obvious that the shop assistant was trying to pinch my money...it wasnt a mistake....and i was so shocked by it...that people do this sort of thing and i think this is what has happened with the OP I doubt she is the first person they have done this to.......

Nobody wants to be ripped off but i think sadly you have to put this down to experience, try not to take it personally and move on....They will eventually get caught and hopefully lose their jobs. I am sorry this has happened to you but i think you have to try to let it go.
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    BoP will now interpret for the hard of reading

OP wen into an emporium and bought items costing £3. They handed over a nice shiny tenner and forgot to check their change. No children are involved.

How did you know that the £10 was "nicy shiny" ??

In all likelihood, much more so because the new ones have yet to be released, it was a grubby one...

Please don't comment unless you have something useful to add :p
  • worried123
    Options
    Reply.......
    Beanie.....
    Maybe one day when people don't believe you when it really counts, then maybe one day you will understand how I feel.

Beanie, you also say:
    'the contents of your pockets is completely irrelevant.'
    Well it showed I had no other money in my pockets except a £10 note and the change from the purchase - change which was incorrect... Not unless you were thinking like them and think I was hiding the money somewhere else, which I know to be totally false. It's unfortunate how sometimes a victim is made to feel like they are responsible and made to feel like a bad person, even though something bad happened to them.

I understand how you feel. Sometimes people on forums can be unkind and its not necessary.
    You have been `stolen` from - its as simple as that - it doesn't really matter whether its £100 or £5 in terms of how you are feeling. The injustice - it not being rectified. It sounds like a rubbish shop to me and I would take your custom elsewhere in future.....the £5 they stole from you will bring them no luck and just feel proud that you are an honest decent person...
    Try to let it go though and dont take some of the comments to heart either..

take care....all the best
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport