Boots Weekly Star Gift Thread

Options

Comments

• catswiththumbs
    Options
    Elena1011 wrote: »
    It always sells out online, but not in all of the shops. Rural shops it usually sells out, and stock goes back into Boots at the full price, if it does go back into stock. Some people are busy with other things or forget to keep an eye out for when the S&G set goes to half price online, then a week later when they start thinking about their Christmas shopping, its at full price in Boots again. So, technically it is cheaper to buy it on ebay for £50 when Boots is selling it for £60. As for not making a profit, last year i sold items around Christmas time for non profit so people could get things that sold out quickly online as there was stock in my local shops. I even had in my listing im selling the item for non profit, and if they calculated all the fees i paid they would see i was not making a profit, but people would still try to offer the shop price and expect me to go out of pocket for doing them a favour. I didnt even included my expenses like packaging and travel. This year im not doing that, and whatever i sell, i hope to make a profit, as people always automatically assume someones making a profit if its more expensive than the shop price when it was on offer. People dont take into consideration the 13.4%+20p in fees PayPal & eBay take from the total including the postage, and then there's packaging and travel on top. And when you go to the Post Office the item always costs more than what you anticipated.

People never realise how much the postage will be - I think the package weighs over 2kg and the size means it has to be sent as a "medium" parcel which is £13.75. £14.75 if you send it "signed for". I see some people are only charging £3.90 for postage. They are going to get a shock. I bought last year's (the one in the tin) for my stepdaughter and was going to post it as she lives 200 miles away. When I took it to the post office and was going to be charged approx. £13 I changed my mind, took the item back to Boots for a refund and bought something smaller in size which only cost £3.90 to post. Then I bought the item in the January sale for £18 and seeing as the sale was late kept it for her birthday in February. Someone on ebay is selling for £34.99 plus £3.90 postage. £38.89 less paypal fee £1.39, ebay £3.49, item cost £30 = £4.01 left to cover postage. Oh dear. Even with a courier like Hermes it will probably cost best part of £4 for a signed for service. I think sometimes people cannot do maths therefore don't know how to work out the fees.
  • bigbargainaddict
    bigbargainaddict Posts: 104 Forumite
    edited 11 December 2017 at 11:20AM
    Options
    Elena1011 wrote: »
    By that logic you should be annoyed with Boots and every other retailer in the country for making a profit, after all Boots did have a Jack Wills rucksack for sale for £50 and then was able to reduce it to £25 no problem, and im sure Boots was still making a profit. Boots even reduced the Jack Wills bag further to £20 when it was not the star gift, how much profit does a company want on one item?

As the calculations show from another poster, people on ebay aren't actually making a profit selling the S&G set for £50 on ebay, but im sure Booots are making a big fat profit selling it for £30 ;-)

Not the same at all, people who multibuy popular items to resell on ebay are no better than the likes of ticket touts - buying things they don't want themselves just to make a pound or 2 from those desperate enough to give their money to them. I know this won't be a popular view, but other peoples greed makes me angry.
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree, it's probably due to those buyers that the items sell out fast.
  • bigbargainaddict
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    I agree, it's probably due to those buyers that the items sell out fast.

Yes, my thoughts too. They create the demand on ebay by buying it all in the first place.
  • american_dreamer
    Options
    Yup - I was about to post the same thing. It's the Boots Star Gift Touts. Any kind of re-sell touting is the lowest form of 'entrepreneurial' endeavours.

But more fool the people that buy from them.

FYI
    Walking past Boots at Silverburn, nr Glasgow yesterday and there was loads of S&G star gift sets in the window - over 50-odd I'd guestimate.
  • JoeySM
    Options
    I hate it when items are out of stock and then i see them on ebay at a higher price. It's so selfish.
    Fortunately, the soap and glory set is still in stock online.
    I bought one at merthyr Tydfil today.
    Both stores in Merthyr Tydfil have stock. 26 other stores within a 30 mile radius of merthyr Tydfil also have stock.

Maybe boots increased their stock levels in response to demand last year??

I hope so as that might just stop the ebayers when they can't sell all the stuff they've bought.

Also...even when it does go back to full price you can still get a great deal by enjoying the 3 for 2 offer.
    3 items @ £60 = £120 so that's £40 per item ☺
  • Storck
    Storck Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was in a store today talking to the staff and one of them said in their morning briefing they had been told the company had sold about 40% of the S&G star gift by this morning. So there are still plenty around, just a matter of finding one locally or online to order.
    If you find you are drinking too much give this number a call. 0845 769 7555
  • YoungBaker
    Options
    Anyone any idea if any no7 sets will be reduced?
    Saving for our next step up the property ladder
  • Storck
    Storck Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    YoungBaker wrote: »
    Anyone any idea if any no7 sets will be reduced?

The big set will probably be the last star gift next week.
    If you find you are drinking too much give this number a call. 0845 769 7555
  • YoungBaker
    Options
    Thanks Stork any idea how much by?
    Saving for our next step up the property ladder
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business