PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Whoops...!:mad:

I had a muscle food order pending for delivery on the 6th (with payment due 48 hours before).

Looking at the plan and the freezer I didn't need it - so I decided to push it back a month to be delivered the first Friday in November.

I moved the date and clicked confirm - then had an email telling me my order had been completed and no further changes were possible - it seems changing anything in the basket switches the payment option back to immediate payment with no further confirmation.

Completely my fault, but £62.95 I hadn't expected to spend... this day off work lark is turning out to be a mite expensive.

Still - should make November cheaper :rotfl:

Total spends so far this month = £71.70 on food + £3.60 train ticket.

Plan
    Breakfast Porridge and frozen/dried fruit + Banana

Lunches
    [strike]One 'free' Sunday lunch [/strike]
    Spanish style omelette
    Baked potato with beans and cottage cheese
    Baked potato with beans and cottage cheese
    [strike]Soup-n-Sarnie[/strike]
    Soup-n-Sarnie

Dinner
    [strike]LO Beef stew[/strike]
    One 'free' after show dinner
    [strike]Tangine style meal with aubergine and sweet potato[/strike]
    Tangine style meal with aubergine and sweet potato
    Roast turkey dinner
    An eat-up/leftover day

Snacks
    Flapjacks x 12
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My budget for October is £300
    this includes everything household apart from pet food.

Going to go through the freezers and try and come up with a meal plan! :eek:
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • Wysiwyg49
    Wysiwyg49 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bit late joining this month but please add me in for £450 as it's a 5-Friday month and I start everything on Fridays...

This is about average but I am struggling with reducing spend on snacks / fruit juice etc., it's not the basic food that costs but the add-ons for sure. However we don't need to cut the nice stuff out, at least I will know where to start if ever in dire straits!! Speaking of which, I am going to add a food bank item to every weekly shop so I don't go past the collection box without putting something in. Our local Sainsbobs put a sign up every week with shortage items which is a great idea.
    GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would like to join in please, there's only me and the occasional visitor to budget for so I'm starting off very strict with £60.00 for all household items (not alcohol, that's in the entertainment budget) I've been very lazy regarding household budget and making some very poor choices, but the freezer is pretty well stocked and I'm getting into a good routine with menu planning, I need to do my first shop tomorrow for some fresh stuff so here goes :D
  • El_Debster
    Options
    2nd of October and already spent more than I planned in the first week:eek:
    So far 28.46 at Lidl on Saturday and this afternoon I spent 9.57 at Sainsbury’s. I had to stock up on teabags, catfood and cereal. Thing is some of the stuff from Aldi I really don’t like. The prawns were on offer but they tasted of nothing but water. I put them in tomato and veg sauce with some chilli flakes served with Linguine it was lovely but with just dressing on avocado for lunch they were too bland. Also their lighter cheddar I thought tasted like chemicals, have to be back to my usual brand next time. But it can go in mac n cheese with spinach, mustard and tomatoes cover the taste!
    Still there is quite a lot of veg in the fridge and I bought mince and smoked salmon and am well stocked with eggs.
    Here’s the plan
    Tuesday:
    Porridge, banana
    Ratatouille and new potatoes
    Mac n Cheese
    (Making Bread and Carrot Cake)
    Wednesday
    Porridge, banana
    Spanish omelette, Spinach,
    Bolognaise Linguine
    Thursday
    Porridge,etc
    Lentil and Carrot soup
    Veg Moussaka
    Friday
    Porridge, banana
    Lentil and Carrot Soup
    Haddock, peas oven chips
    Saturday
    Toast
    Mushroom Stroganoff, Rice
    Smoked salmon quiche.
    If I manage to do this - I will be :j
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    OH spent £3.14 today on a few bits.
    I spent £1.87. For that I got; a cauliflower, celery, mushrooms, runner beans, fine beans, 6 organic apples, a pineapple and 2 large punnets of grapes :beer:.

Bulk - £67.57.
    OH - £10.26/£56.43. £46.17.
    Me - £1.87/£31. £29.13.

Over all budget.
    £79.70/£155.
    £75.30 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • El_Debster
    Options
    Wow - 1.87 on all that veg, I am amazed:beer:
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    I'm a big fan of reductions, though I rarely do that well! Store was on our way home as we'd been out. Went in on the off chance just in case. Very glad we did.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Eeeek! Another £29.97 down already, as OH has had his dietary advice updated. And that's only what was easily available here in this little town today; two items out of about eleven. I'm thinking I should add that £30 unspent in September back onto this month's target, taking it up to £430 to cover some of this. Some bits I'll be able to pick up at the market far cheaper than the supermarket, but it's not on until Friday...

Great bargains, Doom_and_Gloom!
    Angie - GC May 24 £253.52/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • sweetpea26
    sweetpea26 Posts: 831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hi Zippychick :)
    I have not taken part in this challenge for quite a while..please put me down for £400 please
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure