Not allowed Sky Broadband

Options

Comments

• lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Matt_L wrote: »
    Looking at that again, don't i need to be in the house before i can use that? We don't move in till the 11th Sep??

The address checker should work already.

When you're in the address checker, just put the postcode in and when you click submit, it will bring up a list of addresses. Select your address then just click submit again.

Post up a screenshot of the results.
  • Matt_L
    Matt_L Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    PM sent Lee
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Matt_L
    Options
    We have just phone Virgin as we are already with them, they say the address is not on their system but will send an engineer out within the next ten days to check availability...
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • lee111s
    edited 2 September 2017 at 10:27AM
    Options
    Thanks matt.

I'll post here so others can see the outcome. If it's a problem let me know and I'll remove the post.

So bcasically your address is likely not yet registered with Royal Mail and as such, Openreach don't have it in their systems yet. As a result, when you search for it, it comes up as an unmatched address. This is what Sky will see and basically they can't be bothered to raise a manual order with Openreach.

The good news is, I've checked a few other houses on the street, down in the 320's, which are registered and they are connected to a fibre enabled cabinet, with speeds estimated of around 35-50meg.

What likely will need to happen is you chase with Royal Mail to have your address added to their system. This in turn *should* update the Openreach systems (I'd also chase the developer too and ask if this is something they can inform Openreach of).

In some instances, you will need to order a line and ADSL first and then once the line is live, the relevant databases will update within a few days to show the full range of products available on your line.
  • Matt_L
    Options
    Thats great Lee.

Thank you so much for your help...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 September 2017 at 8:05PM
    Options
  • glennevis
    Options
    "If your current address had service from BT then swapped to Sky or anyone else ( so ignoring VM for now) then the speed you would have stayed about the same"

Not correct, even though this info was repeated at least three times on this thread.

Sky and TalkTalk often offer much higher speeds for ADSL (copper) broadband using the same cables to the premises as BT. I can only speculate on why BT artificially limit speed, but it appears they are more conservative with noise margins.
  • lee111s
    Options

Super informative, as ever. :money:
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 September 2017 at 9:55PM
    Options
    glennevis wrote: »
    "If your current address had service from BT then swapped to Sky or anyone else ( so ignoring VM for now) then the speed you would have stayed about the same"

Not correct, even though this info was repeated at least three times on this thread.

Sky and TalkTalk often offer much higher speeds for ADSL (copper) broadband using the same cables to the premises as BT. I can only speculate on why BT artificially limit speed, but it appears they are more conservative with noise margins.

Absolute rubbish, BT or Sky or TT offering the same product ( ADSL, ADSL2+,VDSL ) over the same cable pair will provide the same speed if the package bought is equivalent
    If Sky could offer 'better' speed over the same cable pair, why don't they advertise that ?, something like ' guaranteed to be faster than BT ' ?, because it's just not true, perhaps you could give an example that isn't just based on bull*hit, like ' I was with BT and got 0.25MB and switched to Sky and got 24Mb'... It's just not true,

Obviously someone could have less than optimal wiring, or a faulty router, or a faulty broadband port , switch provider and miraculously the service improves, but this is nothing to do with the underlying technology, which is the same , Sky's ADSL2+ is the same as everyone else's ADSL2+, tweaking noise margins to eek a little more speed at the expense of stability is a minor detail.
    Perhaps you could provide a link to somewhere (reputable) where Sky and TT are offering 'much higher speeds' than BT over the same cable pair
  • lee111s
    Options
    iniltous wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish, BT or Sky or TT offering the same product ( ADSL, ADSL2+,VDSL ) over the same cable pair will provide the same speed if the package bought is equivalent
    If Sky could offer 'better' speed over the same cable pair, why don't they advertise that ?, something like ' guaranteed to be faster than BT ' ?, because it's just not true, perhaps you could give an example that isn't just based on bull*hit, like ' I was with BT and got 0.25MB and switched to Sky and got 24Mb'... It's just not true,

Obviously someone could have less than optimal wiring, or a faulty router, or a faulty broadband port , switch provider and miraculously the service improves, but this is nothing to do with the underlying technology, which is the same , Sky's ADSL2+ is the same as everyone else's ADSL2+, tweaking noise margins to eek a little more speed at the expense of stability is a minor detail.
    Perhaps you could provide a link to somewhere (reputable) where Sky and TT are offering 'much higher speeds' than BT over the same cable pair

In some exchanges BT ( and other sellers of BT Wholesale services) can only offer ADSL MAX up to 8mbps if there's no BT Wholesale 21CN equipment in the exchange. Sky/TalkTalk may well have ADSL2+ LLU kit installed in said exchange, thus being able to offer considerably higher speeds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure