investing lump sum retirement funds

I wonder if you knowledgeable folks could cast your eyes over this and offer your thoughts?
As of today, OH and I are now receiving our FS pensions and have decisions to make regarding what to do with our lump sums. We have a fair amount of cash in a variety of high interest current accounts drip feeding into high interest regular savers. In four years OH receives his SP and I will receive mine in 7 years time.

Our next step is to invest this year's ISA allowance in funds. Neither one of us wants to be pouring over our investments, we are busy with our other interests but want to see our investment grow at a reasonable rate. The following year, we would be adding additional sums. We have no need of extra income.
OH, already has a HL account into which he has been paying a monthly amount into VLS60, but I think HL is expensive, so I'm thinking of transferring this to Cavendish. Using the rest of his allowance I thought to increase his VLS60 holding and add ishares MSCi World ETF and L&G stocks index linked gilts to the mix.

For my own ISA, I also intend to open an account with Cavendish and I am looking at VLS60(70%) with a couple of other funds e.g. Blackrock global property (10%), Vanguard Government Bond index (10%), and Vanguard FSDE developed world ex UK (10%).

Any thoughts?
Books - the original virtual reality.
Tilly Tidying:

Comments

• Maximising your ISAs is a sound strategy. You are right saying that Hargreaves is on the expensive side. If you like Vanguard why not check out their direct offering. You can now set up a very low cost ISA with them direct.

Are you retired? If so you could also consider investing up to £2,880 into a personal pension and get the 20% tax relief. This will help you build up another tax free cash lump sum and is good Inheritance Tax planning if that is an issue.
    I'm a Chartered Financial Planner. Trying to be helpful without giving advice.
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Neither one of us wants to be pouring over our investments, we are busy with our other interests but want to see our investment grow at a reasonable rate.
    If you are too busy, so are we.
    I think you need to pay an IFA for the advice you're looking for.
  • le_loup wrote: »
    If you are too busy, so are we.
    I think you need to pay an IFA for the advice you're looking for.

Thank your for your response. It was not my intention to imply I couldn't be bothered, just that I didn't want to be watching/worrying over the portfolio of funds too much.

I've invested on my OH's behalf in the past in active and passive funds and have already spent a lot of time researching funds, allocations and platforms. It's as a consequence of this that I am now able to retire, and I'm looking to make things easier so that if anything happens to me, my OH and my daughters, will not be too bewildered by what I have done.

I'm just looking for someone to spot any flaws/duds/omissions in my plans.

Thank you Money Help, the SIPP is next on my list.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    Tilly Tidying:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family