ADSL to Vodafone Fibre + phone

I currently pay BT line-rental (despite never using the landline), and pay Sky for 20Mb/s ADSL. It must be around £40 a month, and I've just seen a Vodafone deal where you can get fibre and line-rental for £25 a month (with a handy free gift, and cashback via Quidco). Sounds good.

But I haven't heard much about Vodafone as an ISP. Are they reliable? Decent customer service and tech support?

And how does the switch from ADSL to fibre work? I assume it's just fibre to the street cabinet, so does the "fibre" connection still end up coming down the phone line, like ADSL? Would I still use a standard ADSL modem/router?

I know Vodafone will sort it out, I'm just interested in the technical details of how the new set-up will work.

(Also I've just bought a router on eBay. It has both ADSL and Ethernet WAN ports, so it looks like it'll be okay, but I'm curious to know how I'll set it up.)

Cheers all :-)

Comments

• Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    edited 20 August 2017 at 9:08PM
    Usually normal phone line from cabinet to home. New BT box / faceplate (possibly) with RJ12 socket for VDSL and BT socket for phone. New VDSL router, an ADSL router wont work. Some are both ADSL and VDSL compatible. Ethernet WAN posts do not necessary suggest VDSL compatibility but are used with example VM cable modems / routers or older Openreach VDSL modems which had a separate router.

Regarding VF BB plenty of bad reviews on here and elsewhere.

Without knowing what you have purchased it may be of no use. Also see post#2:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5697489
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for your reply :-)
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    Regarding VF BB plenty of bad reviews on here and elsewhere.

Oh dear. I only found a small handful of reviews when I searched -- not much to go on. And it seems like every ISP comes top in one "independent review" and bottom in another. :-/
    Usually normal phone line from cabinet to home. New BT box / faceplate (possibly) with RJ12 socket for VDSL and BT socket for phone.

Right. I got a new mastersocket with a built-in ADSL filter when I was having line issues a while back. I had a quick google, and it seems like fibre/VDSL works with the same filters...? So I can keep the same faceplate...?
    New VDSL router, an ADSL router wont work. Some are both ADSL and VDSL compatible. Ethernet WAN posts do not necessary suggest VDSL compatibility but are used with example VM cable modems / routers or older Openreach VDSL modems which had a separate router.

Without knowing what you have purchased it may be of no use.

I bought a DrayTek 2830n-plus router (£10+P&P on eBay). I guess I'll need a VDSL modem connected via the Ethernet WAN port.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-2830

Yeah. I saw that. Sky also say you can't use your own router, but there are ways round that.

Also, if I use the supplied router/box as an actual router, and just have the DrayTek router box handling everything on the LAN side... That should work, right...?
  • notbritishgas
    notbritishgas Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Vodafone are not the only one offering good deals, for example Plusnet have ADSL for £19.99 (£50 cash back) or VDSL at £24.99.

But what will happen after the years contract.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure