Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    robinwales wrote: »
    merge
    verb
    combine or cause to combine to form a single entity.

That isn't the same as one thing becoming part of another as in the right lane joining the left.

Yes it is. A merger can either be 2 entities joining to create a new entity or one entity absorbing the other with the original entity remaining. In this instance, the right lane is absorbed by the left with the left lane remaining rather than both joining to create a new lane.
    tho wrote: »
    The thing is it's not lane "ends". It is lane merge. A lot of people here are suggesting the Op should give way. If it was lane end with give way the road would be marked with a dashed line. The arrows show move left not give way. It's a bit of common sense all round and the volvo failed that.

Thats certainly a unique view to take. If the carriageway has no markings down the middle, do you just treat the entire road as yours? I mean theres no dashed line so no need to give way to anyone, right? As I said, traffic already in the lane/road you want to enter has priority. You should not do anything if it would cause them to alter their course or speed to avoid you.

The road might not end, but the right lane does. There are no arrows in the left lane, only the right. Indicating to the traffic in that lane to move over and merge into the left lane. The traffic in the left lane aren't being given directions to merge, just those in the right lane. That is why a right turn arrow in the right lane doesn't allow traffic in the left lane to turn right - because markings in that lane are only directing traffic in that lane.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • tho_2
    tho_2 Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If you are giving way you are prepared to stop. Therefore if there's someone in the left lane all the traffic in the right lane should stop. Then let all the traffic go in the left lane until it's clear. So as youre asking me facetious questions, do you stop in the right lane when there's anything alongside you? That's doesn't happen, because it's lane merge not end.
  • unholyangel
    edited 20 August 2017 at 2:33PM
    Options
    If you are giving way you are prepared to stop. Therefore if there's someone in the left lane all the traffic in the right lane should stop. Then let all the traffic go in the left lane until it's clear. So as youre asking me facetious questions, do you stop in the right lane when there's anything alongside you? That's doesn't happen, because it's lane merge not end.

You're thinking about give way signs across the carriageway. There are plenty of instances you're supposed to give way to traffic outwith those circumstances - such as when changing lanes or traffic calming measures that narrow the carriageway to 1 cars width. And strictly speaking, give way does not mean you should stop (that would be a stop sign). It just means traffic on the road you want to join has priority and you should slow down and be prepared to stop unless you can exit without causing danger or causing other road users to slow down or alter their course.

As I keep saying, the right lane merges into the left lane - therefore the right lane ends. If it didn't end, there would be no need for the traffic in the right lane to merge into the left lane! A merge is something that happens when a lane ends, not instead of it.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • tho_2
    tho_2 Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    It just means traffic on the road you want to join has priority and you should slow down and be prepared to stop unless you can exit without causing danger or causing other road users to slow down or alter their course.

Which is exactly how I meant what I said. So if there's a line of tailgaters in the left do you stop? Or do you try and merge? I know give way doesn't mean stop. But it does if you have to.
  • unholyangel
    Options
    Which is exactly how I meant what I said. So if there's a line of tailgaters in the left do you stop? Or do you try and merge? I know give way doesn't mean stop. But it does if you have to.

Are you asking me "should you stop if your lane is ending and you have to merge into a lane which has traffic already in it with no safe space for you to enter into or should you carry on blindly and hope for the best?"

Why would you think it a good idea to continue? Because an arrow on the road told you that you should move over to the left lane therefore you must do it regardless of any potential dangers?

The general rule is that you are only to carry out a manoeuvre if it is safe to do so.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    It's the terminus of the A48, and A40/A484 also join here.

Yes, I was trying to be a little more specific.

That junction has part time lights, and where someone approaches from will alter their alignment, as well as whether the two cars are coming from the same entry. If someone is coming from nant y caws then this will differ from if they are coming from Llandeilo or st clears.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    Yes, I was trying to be a little more specific.

That junction has part time lights, and where someone approaches from will alter their alignment, as well as whether the two cars are coming from the same entry. If someone is coming from nant y caws then this will differ from if they are coming from Llandeilo or st clears.

Indeed if coming from the A40 over the bridge from the West, they will more likely be in the offside lane on entry, but otherwise more likely in nearside lane. But sometimes someone coming from Llandeilo direction might also enter in the offside - I wouldn't, I would aim to enter on nearside from left turn or straight ahead on roundabout.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure