We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Make a recording from BBC iPlayer?

Options
Looking for a simple way to save some programs, nothing complicated please and preferably free.
I have a Macbook Pro, 10.12.6

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    get_iplayer can download iPlayer TV and radio programmes.

I haven't used it for ages, so I don't know if it still works now you need to log in to watch iPlayer programmes.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/get-iplayer/

It looks like it can be installed on a Mac:
    https://squarepenguin.co.uk/downloads/mac-os-x/
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    Options
    A cheating way would be to use Blueberry Flashback screen recorder. There is a very good free, unlimited edition (but you have to give them your email address and they send you one or two email every ??? many years), and may/not do the format you want. It also records sound.

Once you have it installed test it out beforehand, as it can be quite fiddly to get the exact optimum recording right first time, and have the correct audio input selected etc, but once you have it configured and the right codex selected, it is good to go.

It is a fantastic free bit of software.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not legal, against forum rules.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Not legal, against forum rules.

What isn't legal?

Using get_iplayer is, so long as you delete the downloaded files when prompted. This is exactly how the BBC deliver iPlayer downloads to certain mobile devices.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 7,016 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks, will look at that. Do not understand what is illegal as I can record and save directly using a Sky box.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks, will look at that. Do not understand what is illegal as I can record and save directly using a Sky box.
    But the BBC don't want people recording programs off the iPlayer and saving them to your computer. That is the dodgy bit. Using a Sky box is different, and you can't keep iPlayer stuff long term there either.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    wongataa wrote: »
    But the BBC don't want people recording programs off the iPlayer and saving them to your computer. That is the dodgy bit.
    My understanding is that it is done using one of iPlayer's streaming options for a particular mobile device, such that the content is not encrypted (therefore no encryption is being broken). It would make an interesting test case, but I doubt that it is illegal, and the BBC have had several years to shut down get_iplayer or the streaming option(s) that it piggy-backs upon.

The law talks about reasonable retention times based on personal use and recording things to watch at a more convenient time. IIUC 30 days has been used as a practical limit, but it is not actually law.
  • psychic_teabag
    Options
    wongataa wrote: »
    But the BBC don't want people recording programs off the iPlayer and saving them to your computer. That is the dodgy bit. Using a Sky box is different, and you can't keep iPlayer stuff long term there either.

I can record to humax PVR and keep it for as long as I want - nothing enforces any kind of deletion policy there. And I can transfer from there to my pc.

I can also use a USB freeview tuner to record BBC from over-the-air to hard disk. Again, no deletion enforcement.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    Do not understand what is illegal as I can record and save directly using a Sky box.

You can't keep Sky recordings long time either unless your SKY subscription is up to date
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 15 August 2017 at 10:36AM
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    What isn't legal?

Using get_iplayer is, so long as you delete the downloaded files when prompted. This is exactly how the BBC deliver iPlayer downloads to certain mobile devices.

"Legal" is strong word, it implies the actual law of the land or copyright law, or something similar, serious stuff of actual substance, none of which really applies to what's been said here. Nonetheless, I wouldn't recommend suggesting anything that upsets the left wing BBC on what is becoming a predominantly left wing forum.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport