PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Wysiwyg49
    Options
    A rare NSD today! And finally got round to making "Twinks Hobnobs" which I've been meaning to do for ages. They are OK but taste a bit bland tbh. I suppose that just shows how sugar-loaded shop-bought biscuits are.

Last night was roast chicken and HM savoury rice which was good, and I had LO rice and some frozen chicken fricassee for lunch at work.

Also made the turkey meatloaf tonight. Hmm, not a great success. Feel turkey mince is not a good idea for anything other than price! But my weekly spend so far is £70.08 which is lower than normal. Might need to buy a cauliflower and some white bread tomorrow though.
    GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Evening all

Spends today of £27.54 with Mr T.

Now up to nine grocery NSDs for September :j

Hope you're all having a great week and stay safe in the coming storm
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Made an unplanned stop at the shops yesterday for treats: Big Girl injured herself in the morning and was struggling, and Little Girl had dropped most of her lunch on the playground, so they were both in very bad moods and I needed their co-operation with a post-school errand!

Tonight will be a bit of a splurge, too: parent-teacher night finishing at 6.30pm means no time to cook, so we'll swing past the shops for a picky dinner of cheese and cold meat and things. Not the most frugal choice, but budgeted and planned for on the grounds that everyone needs an occasional treat.

$600/$1050
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wysiwyg49 wrote: »
    A rare NSD today! And finally got round to making "Twinks Hobnobs" which I've been meaning to do for ages. They are OK but taste a bit bland tbh. I suppose that just shows how sugar-loaded shop-bought biscuits are.

Wysiwyg49 I sometimes add mixed spice or cinnamon to Twinks Hobnobs - works well, also agree with how sugar loaded shop bought biscuits are.

Two unplanned shops yesterday. The first was a M&S box of biscuits plus chicken fillets, water and reduced pears - I had to drive an unexpected 300 miles and needed lunch plus the biscuits to give to the staff. £16.46. The second was when I was nearly home and needed some fruit, veg and dark chocolate £18.01.

It doesn't leave me much for the rest of the month. Someone posted on here that if they come across an unexpected bargain they buy it and deduct the cost as they use it. I never thought of doing that but it would help this month as earlier I managed to spend just 80.13p for a shop worth 241.20p so working on that principle I could add the £80.13 back into the kitty.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    £11.41 on a few bits in Lidl and B&M.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    £8.97 spent today. Cucumber, 1kg courgettes, 1.25kg sweet potatoes, red pepper houmous, 4 large oranges, 1.69kg organic bananas, 400g blueberries, 1L fruit juice drink and a 1L cashew milk for that. Not too bad.

£84.82/£150
    £65.18 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hey all

Firstly, I'd like to increase my budget to £250 this month please. This is because I've ended up running out of a few thing I buy in bulk and so have replaced them. Wasn't expecting to, which was pretty shortsighted of me. Anyway, that's that.

Secondly, I'm still well within budget - my month ends 25th September so I have 11 days left. Shop tonight, but I have a list.
    I've been very slack on meal planning this month but have been a lot better about not buying tons of random extra items. The high cost really has been bulk buying some items.

I also ordered a Hooba starter pack (vegan meat substitute made from mushrooms) after seeing someone on here post about it - sorry, I've forgotten who, I haven't kept up with the thread at all!! However, I have tried the mince, the breakfast sausages and the apple and sage sausages - the latter were definitely the best of the lot. I wasn't keen on the breakfast sausages, but they were very meaty I think, which may have explained the flavour I didn't like, I don't know really! The mince was tasty but seemed to disintegrate a bit! The apple and sage sausages - I thought I wouldn't be a fan - but actually they've been my favourite so far!

If anyone wants to order from them, the starter pack is £14.50 and includes 20 sausages of 5 different flavours, 2 burgers, a pack of mince, a pack of meatballs and 2 sausage rolls.

I got a code from them to use for the vegan group I admin, so if you want 5% off then use WFVE at checkout before end of October. This is for anything they sell.

This week, I am pushing myself to get back into FlyLady, meal planning and so on. I've been very lax. So on my list this week we have:
    - Upside Down Lentil Shepherds Pie with green veg
    - Tex Mex Potato Salad with Blackened Tofu and with salad
    - Summer Vegetable Chowder
    - Chickpea Piccata with mash OR pasta and with green veg or salad
    - Ceci-Roasted Red Pepper Soup
    - Romesco Bowl (Quinoa, Roasted Cauliflower, White Beans and romesco sauce, which is made of roasted red pepper and almonds and wine vinegar etc) and I'll probably add spinach.

These will be mixed and matched through the week. One will become dinner on film night on wednesday for me, mum and sis - probably the romesco bowl as we can help ourselves to amounts we want which I like getting my sister to do as she eats a small amount and I don't like her leaving stuff on here plate as it's then wasted, so I'd always rather she took what she will actually eat!

Hope everyone is doing really well again, I am sorry but I haven't caught up on the thread and I'm not sure I will at this point! Must try harder... I just never seem to have time at the minute!!

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Options
    £6.50 spent on shopping today, takes me up to £36.73/£100 for the month at the halfway point, because I won't go shopping again until next week now hopefully.
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spent £14 in TESCO today, on bits n bons, n slashed my finger open on the trolley handle :mad: The first aider cleaned n dressed it, n I'm getting a £20 voucher as way of an apology. CBA taking it further 😣
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • chocoholic_chick
    Options
    Ouch to the slashed finger! But yes accidents happen so I'd do the same, the £20 voucher is a nice gesture :)

This week I've spent £3.24 in Tesco on treats for the office and £19.47 today at Lidl on my weekly shop. Forgot to get squash and we're nearly out so will need to pick some up over the weekend. Have meal planned our evening meals for next week so shouldn't need anything else for these, but may need a few bits for lunches.

Total spends for the month now stands at £143.39 against a budget of £220. I still have some meat left from the bulk order I did in August, but will need to do a top up at the end of the month. I've found a meat wholesaler not too far from me so going to try that and see what it's like :)
    New House... New Mortgage! February 2017: £144,000 :eek:
    Current Mortgage Balance: £96,440.99
    2017 OP's:£5,935 2018 OP's: £11,956.00 2019 OP's: £11,988 2020 OP's: £1,998
    Total Debt[STRIKE] £29,209[/STRIKE] £0 :j:j:j Debt free 6/8/16
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business