Journey to £0 by 2020, with a few bumps along the way

Options

Comments

• Blackcats
    Blackcats Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Ps - please feel free to send me a personal message if you want to - happy to help
  • ohdearhowdidthathappen
    Options
    Good luck!
    Debt - Car loan £19k. New savings goals: Emergency fund £1000/£1000, FFEF £200/£10000
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope the interview goes / went well!
    I don't know if you can claim for work from home tax relief but it's a few worth a few pounds if you can, I've claimed for mine, backdated it to 23/3/2020. You need a government gateway log in
    https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/working-at-home
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 January 2021 at 10:43AM
    Options
    No job offer yet, had an interview on Friday which seemed to go well and they said I’d hear this week. 
    It’s an Office Manager/PA role but it’s a job share role so 3 days a week. Temporary until July but could go permanent as the lady who usually does the job returns from maternity leave then and has indicated she only wants to come back 2 days a week. 
    Don’t want to think about the massive drop in salary if I got it! 
    Also applied to join the police as a call handler, done 1 assessment just waiting to hear back. Would really love to do that! 
    Loan is now at £3,924. Got my redundancy pay out yesterday so can pay it off but would rather have a permanent job first. 
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,640 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hope you get something soon.  It must be tough.  Presumably less issues with childcare though at the moment. A good idea to let the loan run even if you have savings/redundancy money to cover it.  Is your husband still enjoying his new job? 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • chelseablue
    Options
    Yes he loves it :smile: just me having zero luck. I’ve also applied to be a police officer but I’ve heard that’s so competitive to get into 
  • chelseablue
    Options
    I'm thinking of just going for it and using some of the savings to pay off my loan and my husbands loan, this will mean we will be £314 a month better off

If we did there would still be £25,000 left in the savings account 
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    I think if you have £25k left, your husband is in a relatively stable job and getting rid of that monthly outgoing reduces any shortfall in monthly spending then paying them off sounds a good idea.  £25k is a good emergency fund.  Are you eligible for any benefits or are you just living on your husbands wage?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • chelseablue
    Options
    I think if you have £25k left, your husband is in a relatively stable job and getting rid of that monthly outgoing reduces any shortfall in monthly spending then paying them off sounds a good idea.  £25k is a good emergency fund.  Are you eligible for any benefits or are you just living on your husbands wage?
    I can definitely get Job Seekers Allowance which is £300 every 4 weeks. 
    This is paid for a maximum of 6 months 
    Will also do a claim for Universal Credit. I doubt we'd be entitled but you never know 
  • Sarahwithlove
    Options
    For UC if you have over 16k in savings you won't get help. JSA is only because it will be contribution based so based on you having paid national insurance for last 2 years
    I'd just go ahead and pay the loan off as that's a lot per month to not have to pay out it's basically your JSA. 
    *Dad loan - £5300 - £1700
    *Virgin Credit Card - £3552.50 - £0
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

*Sinking Fund - £2000/£3000*
    *Emergency Fund -£50/£2000

*Debt Repayments Pot - £0/0*

New diary- https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6474943/the-three-cs-coffee-clothes-credit-cards/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback