The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)

Options

Comments

• shaggydoo
    shaggydoo Posts: 8,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 October 2017 at 1:26PM
    Options
    2017 Targets
    50x50?v=v2= 50 Days AF

dance013.gif= 100 days AF

Smilies_Bananas_ChristmasDancing.gifbanana.gif= 150 days AF

:A = 200 days AF

cloud9.gif = 250 days AF

clapping.gif= 300 days AF

smiley-breakdance.gif = 350 days AF

lueknl3d124.gif = 365 days AF

smiley-score010.gifdancinsmiley.gif = target achieved

Alcohol Free Days

Arkers
    134/TF50x50?v=v2dance013.gif
    Barny1979
    208/27550x50?v=v2dance013.gifbanana.gif:A

CathyBird 227/25250x50?v=v2dance013.gifbanana.gif:A
    CuppaTea 149/20050x50?v=v2dance013.gif
    DebJay 85/TF 50x50?v=v2
    DizzyImp 52 /TF50x50?v=v2
    Eltee 174/20050x50?v=v2dance013.gifbanana.gif
    ElusiveLucy
    118/TF50x50?v=v2dance013.gif
    FakePlasticTwee 119/TF
    50x50?v=v2dance013.gif
    GreenKaren
    85/12050x50?v=v2
    Honey Bear
    273/36550x50?v=v2dance013.gifbanana.gif:Acloud9.gif
    LoveASale 50/TF
    50x50?v=v2

MaggieM
    77/18550x50?v=v2
    Maman 117/TF
    50x50?v=v2dance013.gif

PollyAnna 71/TF
    50x50?v=v2
    Poor Single Lady 189/TF50x50?v=v2dance013.gifbanana.gif
    Pricey 179/25050x50?v=v2dance013.gifbanana.gif

ScatterBrain 140/TF 50x50?v=v2dance013.gif
    Shaggy 159/260
    50x50?v=v2dance013.gifbanana.gif
    SukeyBoo
    125/150 50x50?v=v2dance013.gif

WBF 97/150
    50x50?v=v2

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ok here we go.........0/1
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    Welcome SCD

I'm up to 14 including today. Trying to have a productive week. Thank you Shaggy for all the numbers and the lovely icons.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    9/24 AFDs today
  • maggiem
    maggiem Posts: 1,657 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    There are many things that can get to us when staying AF in 'public'. There's the initial hurdle of having to announce AFness to the group, then the temptation constantly there to join in with everyone else who seem to be having a great time. It's not easy but you're proving it can be done.:)

Thanks Maman. I’m going out tonight with colleagues although to be honest I have a bad cold and would rather curl up I’m my pjs. Very antisocial and often in hotels it is lovely to have a meal with others. Intend to remain AF tonight though.

I had hoped to do two quotes but can’t work out how to do that. Thanks to all who comment and contribute, it does make a huge difference - someone is listening and noticing. :T
  • maggiem
    maggiem Posts: 1,657 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    Brilliantly well done that you stayed on the straight and narrow, Maggie M. I think what makes the difference is being happy and relaxed, or stressed in any way - tired, overworked, emotional overload, worried, in other words all of the bad things.

Thinking back to my drinking days, I could always, always think of a 'good' reason to indulge my temptations and any of the above reasons would seem to be a good reason for me back then. After one, I was always then graduated to s*d it mode and felt justified in having as many as I wanted.

I don't seem to have the same level of intensity of emotional ups and downs now that I don't drink. Outside influences on my life haven't changed that much so I think that I function better, emotionally, without the interference and complication of booze. I'm incredibly relieved by not getting depressed during the early evening after a night on the lash the previous day, I don't feel guilty about being rude when pickled (although inadvertently even sober I apparently can be - whoops, no excuse for that), and don't lose my temper so easily.

So, not having to live with all of the effects of booze, I get far fewer s*d it days, and when I do, I just have chocolate. I've got a few pounds to lose, but I can't be bothered to stress about that.

I genuinely would have loved to be able to moderate, but I know from years of trying I just can't. I now think, for me, not drinking at all as a way of life is easier, which it certainly didn't appear to be before I took the decision to give it up.

13/31 please, Shaggy.

Thanks for this post too Honeybear. It really made me think that too often my reactions emotionally have been affected by the amount I have had to drink, certainly in terms of the level of intensity of emotion. Much as I love my OH I have spent evenings thinking about divorce over things that in the cold light of day the next day really we’re not that important.

Again many thanks to HB and all who read and post. I am dashing around like - trying to think of polite analogy - so often just reading and not posting but it still helps me to read this thread.

12/15 please and [STRIKE]hoping [/STRIKE] intending to stay AF tonight too
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,439 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all, 13/21 for me today please.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,439 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 17 October 2017 at 4:20PM
    Options
    maggiem wrote: »
    Thanks Maman. I’m going out tonight with colleagues although to be honest I have a bad cold and would rather curl up I’m my pjs. Very antisocial and often in hotels it is lovely to have a meal with others. Intend to remain AF tonight though.

Hey maggiem, me too, have had a cold the past week and it doesn't seem to want to let go! Think it is now though, finally. Stay warm and rest up (apart from your meal with colleagues), hope you feel better soon.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    :wave: ManPants!
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    Ok here we go.........0/1

Welcome Scd3Scd4! :wave: Keep posting and you'll soon find yourself racking up the days. We all started out exactly where you are right now.

I had hoped to do two quotes but can’t work out how to do that. Thanks to all who comment and contribute, it does make a huge difference - someone is listening and noticing. :T

Oooohhh I remember those nights! Now I'm afraid I do just put the pjs on if I'm feeling under the weather but I'm pretty antisocial really. The booze kind of masked that in the olden days.

As to multi-quoting, click the button with the two speech bubbles next to the Quote bubble when you come across a quote you want to include. You can only do a maximum of three in one hit. Then when you're ready to write your replies, click on the Post Reply blue button on the left under the end of the last post on the page. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for this post too Honeybear. It really made me think that too often my reactions emotionally have been affected by the amount I have had to drink, certainly in terms of the level of intensity of emotion. Much as I love my OH I have spent evenings thinking about divorce over things that in the cold light of day the next day really we’re not that important.

I occasionally used to scream at OH when I'd had too much to drink, and the last night of drinking was an unbelieveable series of appalling behaviours that involved shouting and stupidity on my part. I'm only admitting that now, after more than three years sober, because what I discovered was that my bad behaviour was esculating, and that's pretty normal apparently. As OH said the following morning, 'You crossed a line last night' which I thought, in the circumstances, was pretty mild and totally reasonable and true.

Certainly when I had to make phone calls the morning after a heavy night of drinking I used to lose my temper with the person on the other end if it was a tricky phone call and that had been going on for a few years. It didn't occur to me that the drinking and the temper were related, actually, until a couple of years after I'd stopped drinking, either.

The only reason I'm saying this is that your comment about thinking about divorce is ringing bells for me, and once again, this isn't stuff that I've come across being talked about elsewhere when discussing the effect (and after effects) of drinking a bit more than is wise, shall we say.

And, once again, I noticed I forgot to post yesterday. How did that happen?

17/31 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Welcome Scd3Scd4 :wave:

9/14 for today please Shaggy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories